Progressive Surge protector shutting down 30 amp service

Yukon

We had 30 amp servise installed for our Oliver Camper all seemed well for several weeks and then we noticed a shut down with a E9 error code on the surge protector Display. I hopped into the Progressive manual and it says in its definition Data Link Down contact Tech Support. Which i did and was advise it was most likely a faulty Display monitor or cable. OK then i asked would that stop 30 amp service from being utilized . Answer was I don't know. Has anyone experienced this?.....Yukon

Disconnect the remote display cable and see if it works now.

I am not 100% positive, but I think it will work without a remote.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Yukon,

I get the same error code (E9) when I use my Honda EU2200i generator. That blocks power from the generator from being used. When using the generator I use the remote switch to by-pass the surge suppressor protection as I feel power from the generator is good. The surge suppressor works fine (E0) when connected to shore power. It seems something in the power from the generator is causing the error code. I remember reading in another post about issues with ground bonds between neutral and ground for certain generators. I’m posting this info for you because you may be having a similar type issue going on with your shore power. You may also try using your 115v adapter and see if you get the same error when plugged in to another circuit.

• Thanks 1

2018 LE2 STD #365

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax 4x4

Yukon, Just to be clear, I’m not recommend you use one of the bonding plugs used for certain generators. I’m pointing out that there may be a bonding problem between neutral and ground in your shore power wiring. - Randy

• Thanks 1

2018 LE2 STD #365

Thanks'' I understand. A little more to the story, was after i had the 30amp service installed i noticed the shore tie plug did not seem to engage properly as one would want. So i recall the License Electrician who installed, we took the box apart and the fuse panel and discovered poor connections as well as the job required a ground bar. After that is when  i discovered the regular loss of power going to the Oliver. I am sort of reluctant to recall the Electrician again but am not confident enough to by pass the surge protector. Jason recommended i un plug and replug both ends of the cable running to the monitor as there is history on this happening to others. Progressive said they would send out parts (new monitor and cable ) I will install and we will see where that goes. And the question on weather the monitor/ cable suspected failure could shut down the 30amp service is Yes'' as i have been told they need to talk to each other before 30 amp will be excepted.

• Thanks 1

Did you try using another house circuit through the 115volt adapter? If everything works fine with that circuit, the problem is probably the wiring in the 30 amp circuit. - Randy

• Thanks 1

2018 LE2 STD #365

I am surprised a remote monitor has anything to do with the  performance of the unit. I would think disconnecting the monitor would not affect the unit. Looks like I need to read the  documentation. That's kind of like saying the remote start on the Xantrex inverter, if disconnected prevents the  Xantrex from powering up from the faceplate switch.

Taking the remote out of the picture - should clear up the issue - if that is the fault - Before I read the manual - I'm betting there is something else happening, probably a grounding/neutral connection problem. Bad grounds cause electronic circuits to do weird things.  But I've been wrong before.

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Well that’s a data point. Not the one I was expecting but it does add a piece to the puzzle. It seems that it is either a ground/ neutral bond issue at the house breaker box (or sub box that is feeding the circuits you tested) or it is an issue in the PD Surge Protection system. Other than that I’ll have to scratch my head a bit. Intermit issues are the worst to trouble shoot. You could try unplugging everything then plug back in with the 115 adapter and see if the fault happens after about the same time. If you have a neighbor close by that you are on good terms with you could try plugging in there for a while or you may replace the items Furion sends you and see what that does... - Randy

• Thanks 1

2018 LE2 STD #365

Ok just had the Electrician come back and after checking all of his work'' we by passed the surge protector and all is good. It has to be the output display or the cable or the surge protector main unit. The codes are showing it is the output display or cable only, waiting for parts.

Update'' disconnected the remote display cable and started up power'' it came on and went out a hour later. This is starting to drive me crazy '' starting to think it the main part of the surge protector'' waiting for tech support to get back to me.

That’s the problem with these things. I have a different system (Victron) but it would cause the same issue if it were to go out - i.e., not allow power into the trailer. I asked them about that some time ago and they told me that oftentimes boat owners will install a manual transfer switch to bypass the unit in case it ever malfunctions. Just another on my long list of someday projects.

Overland the progressive surge protecter has a byPass switch but you are not protected 'once you use that option,' so its important to get this issue resolved, I  also think i should have the option to use a external surge protector .''

• 2 weeks later...

Update, Had to bring in a RV tech person to trouble shoot the Electrical system from Shore tie and then out. Turns out the Remote display and Data cable appear not to be the issue ,even though the E9 error code points in this direction. The surge Protector main unit has at some point overheated.  The Tech person recommended i establish another protection EMS right out of the shore tie box,  He is concerned the power transfer box is susceptible to damage as well. Once I receive the

remote EMS and plug in for a week  i should have my answer.

IMG_1914.thumb.jpg.9b6a6ba7dde065dff63777835e5153d9.jpg

IMG_8444.thumb.jpg.a441afd252dc083dcec73c7e06cb5d80.jpg

• Moderators

For what its worth, I too had an "E9" code.  The culprit turned out to be a loose positive wire on the batteries.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks for that Bill, I have check the batteries, not educated enough to see how that would come into play but not surprised . The E9 code could mean bad remote display, bad data cable , bad main surge protector box and now from you a lose batt connection .  The RV tech i hired checked everything from the shore tie to the surge protector. And he feels it is important to place a remote EMS at the shore tie box. He says it will protect transfer switch and fwd.  I did order a EMS and will install and give it a week and see what happens...... thanks for the info.

Ok think i can put this problem to bed. The problem was the main surge protector unit. Figuring this all out was a real PIA . So if you run into this''' this is what i think you need  to consider. First get a good Electrician that is educated in Campground  power supply installation only'' . 2. Don't rely on Progressive to figure out your issues'' they are Code directed from readings from the remote monitor. 3. Progressive tech support changes out parts'' thats it! 4. A portable EMS is the first defense against any bad issues thrown your way and the built in Oliver EMS has no issue with this Portable EMS being in line ahead of it. 5. A portable EMS is easy to change out'' just unplug. (Caution I hear people like to steal them).  And last the Power Cord supplied by Oliver will not fully fit in Remote EMS I purchased '' the pull handle interferes with the WX cover. Thanks to all that helped with this issue.......Yukon

IMG_1920.thumb.jpg.afe235a403192fd1d21de045fbe6ec8b.jpg

• Thanks 1

I understand the frustration, glad you have an answer. Can I assume you were given a replacement unit? And also added the portable unit?

I my case, as a retired electrical "person",  I have no reason to go with an additional unit. I test the power before I use it, if ok, plug in, if not make appropriate changes. If my unit goes out, switch to bypass, and go from there.

You haven't stated what caused the original problem, bad unit from get go, or was it damaged due to some incoming power issue? Perhaps I'm just missing it.

Well there, your fixed up- go have fun.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Did you remove the built-in unit? We have a portable Progressive and have been pleased with the electrical problems it has made us aware of. And we are made aware before we plug the camper in. With a portable you don't have to go inside to see the results. It does have fancy "dancing lights" while plugged in, so we use a pistol cable lock to secure it to the pedestal post so it doesn't get "borrowed". Probably a good bike lock would work too..

• Thanks 1

Yes i did file a warranty claim to replace the new main box , directed to do so via Progressive. And no''I did not remove the Oliver installed hard wired unit. As for the reason i had to go through all of this BS was i would lose power  and show error code E9 via the remote Monitor . Why I went with a portable EMS was it was recommended by a RV Tech '' his reason was the transfer switch was in line before the built in Progressive Surge Protector . And the cost of replacement of the transfer  switch would exceed the cost of a portable EMS. I also agree that the remote EMS and its data displayed is better than lifting the bed up to monitor data. The two units like each other so far, they show the same data.