Exterior cleaning - Wax recommendations

BackofBeyond

• Moderators

I used most all of a bottle of Rejex a couple of years ago.  I found it hard to apply and even harder to wipe off.  The protection seemed okay and I was getting beading after washing or rain.  When it came time to wax again I went with Maguires Boat and RV wax.  Easy on/off.  So far I can’t tell much difference in protection.  For ease of application I’m going to stay with the Maguires.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Hmmm. Think we will stick it out with the 3m ultra marine paste wax. More time, but has worked well for many years for us.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I tend to agree about the superior protection you get with a quality marine paste wax.

I store my Ollie outdoors all year. Two or three washes and two waxes a year, one in the Spring and the other in the late Fall.

By the beginning of Spring, my trailer is a little green around the edges here in the NW. A month ago, after a quick wash before a future Oliver customer came by to have a look, the water still beaded up like it was just waxed after being out all Winter. Yes it's a bit more elbow grease to apply paste wax, but not that much. I have had no issue cleaning off bugs, tar, road grime, or whatever with a quality paste wax underneath. I personally really like Collinite Fleetwax, but I'm sure the others mentioned here are good as well. I also use a WHITE 3M scotch-brite pad, along with a sponge when I'm soaping down my trailer before I wax. The white pad is the equivalent of  1200 grit sandpaper. It has just enough tooth to cut through the tough stuff without affecting the natural shine of the gelcoat. It leaves the trailer smooth (no small embedded particles) and very clean, almost like it was clayed before a paint job. This has worked very well for me.

https://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/fleetwax-paste-wax/

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/Scotch-Brite-Light-Cleansing-Hand-Pad-7445/?N=5002385+3293194061&rt=rud

Dave

• Thanks 2

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

My two cents,

I use the Meguiar's G18216 Ultimate Liquid Wax and the Meguiar's G17220 Ultimate Compound on my truck. After a thorough clean and polish I put the Rejex on the Ollie this winter.  I've washed my truck 4-5 times since last wax,  and the Ollie 3 times since taking it out of the garage - 1500 road miles and a month or two outside.   Today I washed them both -   I cannot see any real difference on the water beading, cleaning, black streak removal, or otherwise.  Both look great.

Given that, I'll probably use up the remaining bottle of Rejex on the Ollie, and go from there. It is harder to apply - that is for certain, I may experiment with the  Duragloss products when the Rejex is done. In the areas where  I know I've probably put two or more coats of Rejex on the Ollie, the product is performing very well. (the front areas).

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Having picked up our Ollie on 6/24 and spend a week heading home to Michigan I spend a great deal of time cleaning the Ollie and removing the bugs. I have been a fan of the Starbrite Marine polish for years. After getting it clean I applied a coat of this product to the trailer and was extremely pleased with the results. This stuff removed any stains left from the trees and leaves on the fiberglass, and shines as well as any of the other products in this post.

Here are some pictures but its overcast here. I think this is as good as the other products in this post and it just give you another option. The application is easier than paste wax. sorry about the pictures

Doug

IMG_1906.thumb.jpg.6840c52ba955ad51fe901fb597fd3eb2.jpg

IMG_1907.thumb.jpg.ccacda6085c4a89561f5db07b29c3249.jpg

• Thanks 2

Elite 11 delivered  June 24, 2019.  TV 2019 Chevy 2500 Duramax.  First fiberglass hull that does not float, swapping white wake for a black ribbon. Hull number 482. We are happy campers

We've had our travel trailer since January 2019.

Other than taking it home (Northern Kentucky, near Augusta) we've never taken it on a camping trip due to illness.

We've left it outside since early Spring and we were dismayed to discover black stripes all over, just like Overland showed.

We've run through the gamut of detailers, finally settling on Duragloss 923, which removed most of the stripes but still left a feint black shadow.

As BackofBeyound reported, none of the detailers were effective in removing these stripes from the white plastic window trim.

In desperation I read this thread again and noticed a suggestion by Underdug to use a product called "Roll-Off".

I ordered a bottle and it effortlessly removed the black stripes from both the gelcoat and the plastic window trim.

I mean effortlessly: squirt, wipe, done.

• Thanks 3

• 2 years later...

What do you use to get the bug splatter off the front of trailer?  Just bringing it home from factory and bug splatter looks kinda like pockadots on it

ALAZARCOFLGAKSKYLAMSMTNENVNMNYOHOKPATNTX

#837 started this new traveling experience in the summer of 2021 and loving it.

TV is 2020 Durango Citadel or 2021 Dodge 1500 diesel V6.  2021

47 minutes ago, Donna and Scott said:

What do you use to get the bug splatter off the front of trailer?  Just bringing it home from factory and bug splatter looks kinda like pockadots on it

The Duragloss magic mixture mentioned above (4 parts 923 and 1 part 952) works well on the bugs, and freshens up the wax job while you’re at it. 

I assume that Oliver does not wax the trailers prior to delivery. Other than washing before applying the first coat of wax, is there any special preparation you would recommend?

We are scheduled to take delivery on 9/16/21, and will spend approximately one month traveling on the way home, so I expect our LE 2 will need a good bath when we get home.

2021 Legacy Elite 2 Twin Bed | Hull Number 894 (9/16/21 delivery) | Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel 3.92 axleAZARCAIDMTNVNMORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

I don't think Oliver,  or anyone else, waxes the trailer prior to delivery. 

You could, however, ask if service could do it for you, if you are planning a long trip home. Or, if they could recommend a local mobile detailer 

A good wax job does help with road dirt, and bugs.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

My question is whether or not to use a power tool. I've only ever waxed cars by hand. Ollie is so big that I'm afraid my arms will fall off when I give it it's first wash, wax and buff. I'm thinking a power polisher with wool or microfiber pads would save some wear and tear on my body. I've done some internet searches but it's a bit overwhelming. I'd appreciate thoughts from other owners as well as what equipment they use. Thx!

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

18 hours ago, Cameron said:

I'd appreciate thoughts from other owners as well as what equipment they use.

I have used a Shurhold 3100 Random Dual Action Buffer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OIBRCQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_19J1WK7NKYKSDPE8478N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 to polish off the oxidation from a fiberglass camper van and then also to buff the paste wax which I applied by hand with a soft pad. I thought about getting a single action Dewalt buffer but decided I was likely to burn my gelcoat with that. I'm just not practiced enough with a buffer to be confident with a super powerful tool that works  very fast 

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

I have waxed my trailer with a porter cable random orbital polisher and had my trailer detailed by a company that specializes in boats and they used a DeWalt polisher both with excellent results

Rick & Jerry

2017 Elite II, 2015 F 250 Lariat 6.2 L

I have polished my past boats with Starbright wax and now the Ollie with Meguiar's wax; both very similiar products. I find that them to go on very easy and once dry only needs to be whipped off. 

I have never tries paste wax which I understand needs to be buffed off with many use a power polisher.

Does past wax really do a better job?

Does past wax stop the dark water stains from occuring from water draining off the roof?

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

A wax is just a protective coating, polish has a little more aggressive cleaning action but does not really protect the finish.  Most common are a polish wax combination.

The polish wax combination does not protect as well as a true wax; a wax will not clean the surface.  The combination mixture works fine on a finish that needs just a quick touch up.  Best to use a random orbital polisher with a polish or light compound to clean the oxidation and dirt film, then clean the finish to remove the polish or compound…..then apply your wax for protection.

I have used both types of machine polishers/ buffers over many years and found the random orbital to be safe and effective.  If you use a good quality polisher with variable speed control and good quality pads, you will not harm, or burn the finish.

I am in the process of polishing, then waxing my Oliver now.  It takes time to do it correctly, but anyone can do it without fear.  It does not take long to get the “rhythm “ of the polisher.

My Oliver has light marks from the previous owner cleaning the finish with a car wash brush, and that can dull/lightly scratch the gel coat.  It is cleaning up great and looks as new again. Once you get it cleaned and conditioned, it will take much less effort to keep it that way.

Steve

• Like 2

ARLAPATNTXVAWVsm.jpg

2015 Oliver Elite 2

Hull #106

2019 Ford F-250 Super Duty, 6.7 diesel 

BTW, this is the type of polisher I mentioned above for which I did not feel confident I would not damage the surfaces I would be using it on. Dewalt Rotary Polisher - these make jobs like polishing go faster but the tradeoff is that if you linger a bit (even potentially when changing direction) you can do some damage. If I had some junky fiberglass that I didn't care wildly about doing a lot of practice on and potentially messing up I might give one a go but I don't so I won't.

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

I own several electric polishers, 3 rotary and 1 orbital.  The orbital is what I would suggest.

The polisher I ordered and use on the Oliver (as well as my newer truck and car) is:  Rupes LHR 15ES Big Foot Random Orbital Polisher.  It is an excellent product and is very effective.

Rupes also makes rhe polishing pads that work extremely well…..I would suggest you get all three grades….ultra fine, fine and coarse.   White, yellow and blue.  They can be cleaned with soap and water.

3m makes an entire line of Perfect it compounds, polishes and glazes…they are top notch and 3m is all I have used in the past 40 years.

The polisher is $299, but in my opinion very well worth it.  It should last you for many years.  It has a soft start and variable speed which is ideal, especially when getting up into tight or confined areas.  I bought my polisher from Amazon about two years ago…no problems at all.  It is a very high quality tool.

Steve

ARLAPATNTXVAWVsm.jpg

2015 Oliver Elite 2

Hull #106

2019 Ford F-250 Super Duty, 6.7 diesel