HOW TO: Solar panel extension arms.

John E Davies

This mod is great for either working on your roof, for repairs or detailing, or for angling the panel toward the sun if your Ollie is parked long term, such as in the off-season.

58BF6F06-8E18-4EEE-9F6E-5E6B684276A6.thumb.jpeg.888ceef4779174406c604701fbe557df.jpeg

I used the following:

40” of 6061-T6 angle, 1 x 1 x 1/8”. For ease of fabrication, you could use 1 x 1/4” flat bar. I wanted angle since it is more rigid for the same weight, but I think the flat bar would be adequate.

2 - 1/4-20 x 1” stainless bolts,

4 - flat washers

2 - self locking nuts (nylocks)

Cut the material into two 20” sections. Drill a 1/4” hole 1 inch from each end along one side of the angle. Center the holes in the inside of the angle (3/8” in from the edge). Since I wanted to use the existing knobs at the top of the arms, I trimmed away a section to allow the “ears” to clear. I left a 3/8” wide section for strength. You need to make two “mirror image” arms (front and back).

1DF7AD9D-9C82-4ECE-A3C7-8E39B0B23802.thumb.jpeg.1a60213ea68883408cdbf9213ef62529.jpeg

85E89274-706C-410C-99CF-E5A31223E36A.thumb.jpeg.8c673664f4b937c3b94d101ba4feb8f6.jpeg

Radius the corners, and file and sand with 180 grit paper. A workbench belt sander like my 4x36” Harbor Freight one works great for this.

To use the arms, you have to climb up carefully with a ladder with padding under the top part. You can start at either end of the panel, the right side is shown in the pics. Attach the appropriate arm at the bottom hole of the bracket using a bolt, snug it down. Make sure that it can rotate up. Remove the knob and let the panel settle. You can put some foam underneath but I didn’t need any.

CEC3B210-8C2F-4C02-91E4-8B8086DFE9A9.thumb.jpeg.1a628cb86fe6833ca297730cdaedb02f.jpeg

Go to the other end and attach the second arm.

Remove the knob, raise the panel and screw the knob back through the arm, into the panel.

Go to the other end, raise the remaining arm, and secure it.

2285F43C-E63A-480B-8F59-FF305DE97B9A.thumb.jpeg.6bbe5a8e432781262967d64dbc5c2dc5.jpeg

You can see in the above pic that there are lots of threads sticking out the back of the nut, so if you use thicker 1/4” flat bars, they should work fine.

64444BCD-A91C-48DD-9BBE-8522D557FE7A.thumb.jpeg.078377f5104d7386bd62014c89bcb153.jpeg

9551734E-22CD-4371-881B-3361CA38402D.thumb.jpeg.6269d7f1aafbae774527177f4d5346d9.jpeg

If you are going to leave the panel up long term, in the weather, tighten the lower bolts and all knobs. If you are just going to have the panel up for maintenance you can leave the lower ones slightly loose.

With the arms in the bottom holes of the roof brackets, the panel will be at a 35 degree angle. You could get a few extra degrees by selecting higher holes, but the other end of the panel frame might hit the gelcoat on the roof. Use caution.

1AAB7D2D-CD56-4F6A-AB77-C791CBEBD3B1.thumb.jpeg.91c3f6a1633561fb6174f465c856a696.jpeg

I have NOT tested this mod outside in strong winds. It feels very solid when the hardware is tight, but I cannot guarantee how well it will work in violent weather. Use caution.

I thought about not mentioning this last part, but I will anyway.... Please leave a prominent note inside the trailer on the table, or a bright piece of surveyor’s tape flying from the panel, so you do not drive away with the panel up.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
Fixed format errors
  • Thanks 7
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The mounts that Oliver uses for the solar panels are from AM solar and they carry two sizes of tilt  bars that work very well. If your not inclined to make your own or like the embeded nut on the AM solar bars for ease use check out their site.

https://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/91m-tbs195

• Thanks 5
  • Like 2

Roadrunner

Legacy Elite II Hull # TB, / TV :White 2017 Ford F250 Super Duty Platinum

The mounts that Oliver uses for the solar panels are from AM solar and they carry two sizes of tilt bars that work very well. If your not inclined to make your own or like the embeded nut on the AM solar bars for ease use check out their site.

https://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/91m-tbs195

Thanks for the link, but I am pretty sure those 19.5 inch bars are not plug and play for an Ollie LEII with its twin panels, without at least drilling a hole closer in, at the top. It’s not a big deal to do that, but the price seems a little steep, even with an extra set of knobs. Total cost on my setup is under $10.

There is no way to tilt an Ollie panel to 45 degrees without installing much higher mounts - it hits on the far side. 35 degrees plus possibly 2 or 3 more is all you have.

Here are the amsolar ones, holding a single panel at 45 degrees....

85511825-7476-48B0-9A94-AA6177E32AF7.thumb.png.31f72e2a195de8ed4be304ccf0fc8017.png

Have you tried these bars on your unit? I have never seen any pics of any bars/arms posted in these forums.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We use the original am solar bars on our panels, but our panels are sidemount, ( already angled), not flat like yours.

Back in 2008, they were part of the package....

They work well for ours, though we rarely adjust them unless we know we will be in the shade for several days.

Sherry

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Here's a link to one of the early discussions on solar panels on the forum (2008). Rooftop v portable.

If you go to the second page, you'll see some photos of our sidemount panels

Fwiw, we're still friends with most of the people who joined into the discussion on this thread. Rereading it was a nice trip down memory lane for me.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/solar-panels/page/2/?wall_post=46206

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks for the link. It’s interesting reading when only a tiny handful of owners were here.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators

It was different, not necessarily better...

I thought you (and others) might like to see the difference in the connections. I think our connectors and angle give us a bit more latitude in panel adjustment than the flat on the roof style usually used.

For us, it was the only solution, and has worked well for (almost) ten years.

I was pretty excited about solar power then. I still am. Trailer, now our home, eventually our sailboat, too, will run independently on quiet, nonemitting solar. We're still working on best way for a sailboat. Sails tend to shade everything...

And, thank you for all the information and work that you put into your post. As always, so very helpful to others.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 years later...
On 8/19/2018 at 9:41 AM, John E Davies said:

Thanks for the link, but I am pretty sure those 19.5 inch bars are not plug and play for an Ollie LEII with its twin panels, without at least drilling a hole closer in, at the top. It’s not a big deal to do that, but the price seems a little steep, even with an extra set of knobs. Total cost on my setup is under $10.

There is no way to tilt an Ollie panel to 45 degrees without installing much higher mounts - it hits on the far side. 35 degrees plus possibly 2 or 3 more is all you have.

Here are the amsolar ones, holding a single panel at 45 degrees....

85511825-7476-48B0-9A94-AA6177E32AF7.thumb.png.31f72e2a195de8ed4be304ccf0fc8017.png

Have you tried these bars on your unit? I have never seen any pics of any bars/arms posted in these forums.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

This is an older thread, but I wanted to comment on it since I did buy and test the 15.5" AM Solar brackets for our 2020 Ollie (https://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/91m-tbs155).  The 15.5" brackets do (barely) fit and work using the uppermost (top) hole on the bracket.  No way the larger ones will work with the roof getting in the way as JD eludes to - even if you use the lower holes on the bracket.  I'm not entirely sure how JD got 20" sections to work on his, but perhaps a slightly different mounting configuration/bracket than the 2020's?

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

4 hours ago, NCeagle said:

I'm not entirely sure how JD got 20" sections to work on his, but perhaps a slightly different mounting configuration/bracket than the 2020's?

A different roof bracket spacing is very possible, but be aware that my arm hole spacing is 18” center to center. And the arms could be shorter if the upper bracket holes are used. I wanted them in lower ones, since the brackets are stiffer there when the nuts are fully tight, than they would be at the top holes. It was an intentional engineering choice. Well, mostly....it was a little bit accidental.

The bottom hole, or the one above it, is easier to use than the upper holes, there is room to have the arm lay down along the side of the panel with the panel knob in place. You could even leave it lying there for a short trip if the nut was fully tight ( I do not recommend it, the gelcoat could be scarred). This position is not possible using the upper holes. You would not be able to easily operate the knob.

4F036BB9-139E-4093-9246-E0A7B31E48BB.thumb.jpeg.f285a0342e9252f16d6d019298c2fc9d.jpeg

If you just buy some metal you can make it any way you like. Structural aluminum is affordable and very easy to work with. Just don’t choose the dead-soft ornamental kind typically found at the hardware store. This size is about $1 per foot. This vendor will ship, but a local non- ferrous metal supplier will have it.

55BB5DB3-4CA7-4619-B022-160AA3DE05D0.thumb.jpeg.b266f526f4e978b85f6393d5c422a4ad.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2018 at 2:28 AM, John E Davies said:

Thanks for the link. It’s interesting reading when only a tiny handful of owners were here.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John, is the link available elsewhere?

Broken Link - HOW TO- Solar panel extension arms. - Posted August 20, 2018.png

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators

Some of the links don't work from old forum versions.

If the 2008 thread is what you're looking for, this is it:

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
On 2/1/2021 at 8:44 AM, Landrover said:

Reading this thread made me think of a question. What ever happen to the company that was developing the auto track system for the solar panels on the Ollie does any one know?

This is the link to the solar tracking company you are asking about.

Mossey

Edited by mossemi

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• 2 years later...
On 8/18/2018 at 2:26 PM, John E Davies said:

This mod is great for either working on your roof, for repairs or detailing, or for angling the panel toward the sun if your Ollie is parked long term, such as in the off-season.

Just wanted to say Thank You to John for putting this mod documentation together.  I knocked out a set of extension arms tonight.  Tomorrow we are heading up north to some property we have.  The camper is parked there for most of the summer and fall, but it's boon docking only.  As the sun drops lower and lower on the horizon, the panels often can't keep up after a number of cloudy days and the additional load of running the heater occasionally at night during the fall.  

The fall color prediction from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources this weekend is 50-75% of peak up at the camper.  Temps will be 60-80 degrees, so not much use for the heater this weekend.

I'm looking forward to trying out the arms and seeing how much they might improve solar charging.

Thanks again John.

• Like 2

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

KenB, please post a follow up, especially if you have some wind, I wonder if the trailer will rock more? How many more AHs? Etc.

The reason I put up my  “HOW TO links page” is that after about a dozen threads, I realized that having them all in one location could really help somebody find them, especially years later, and that page can be added as a bookmark. For those other members with lots of tech threads, you could do the same… start your own page.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

On 9/29/2023 at 8:59 AM, John E Davies said:

KenB, please post a follow up, especially if you have some wind, I wonder if the trailer will rock more? How many more AHs? Etc.

I tried the supports last weekend and am posting my follow up.  They fit great and I was astonished at how dirty it was under my panels.  They are going to be a great help once I get the trailer home and cleaned off before winter storage.

Unfortunately they didn't help improve the charging as I'd hoped, in fact, they made it worse.  Last Saturday was a very overcast day.  The panels were only putting out two amps.  My wife was inside calling out the charging rate as I repeatedly tipped and lowered the panels.  When flat they put out the two amps, when raised they repeatedly put out only 1.4 amps.  I know I was a little off on my aim with the panels towards the sun, but I was pretty close.  I would have had to move the whole camper to improve the solar tracking aim by maybe 10%.  I expected some improvement by tipping the panels up, but never would have guessed it would make it worse.  It did drive home how important it is to keep the whole panel in the sun.  With just the shade from my hand, the panel would drop from 2 amps to 1.1 amps.  I've heard the individual cells that make up a panel are wired in series.  This would seem to confirm it.  One shaded cell practically kills the whole output from the panel.

I'm not done experimenting with the tipped panels, but for now I am keeping the generator handy to top off the three Battleborn batteries when they get low.  

Next on the fall to-do list is a temperature driven relay to turn the battery heaters on if I'm sleeping or not around during the day when the temperature dips.  I think I've got all the parts on hand, so it won't cost anything more to give it a try.  I'm really impressed with this battery monitor from Thornwave a friend gave me to play with.  Not only does it internally store all of it's charging data when I'm away, it has a relay control that can throw a relay signal due to voltage, temperature, timers, and a few others.  I'm not sure why more people aren't using it.  I mostly hear about Victron charge controllers, but not this one.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

16 hours ago, KenB said:

They fit great and I was astonished at how dirty it was under my panels

You may have been disappointed with the initial end results, but I see a huge benefit with this mod when it comes to cleaning and maintenance matters. I can see where having the trailer positioned in alignment with the rising and setting sun would probably give the results you are seeking. Good luck with your endeavor!

• Love 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

What a bummer I can’t do the same mod on my 2023 panels with different mounting feet (no pivot points)! 

IMG_1541.jpeg

IMG_1544.jpeg

• Wow 1
  • Sad 2

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison