Ford Backup Assist Sticker/Decal

CedarForks

We are long retired and have no experience with owning a travel trailer. After much thought and a pleasant visit to see David and Jane Droll's Oliver, we are now considering an Oliver and Ford F150 shortbed (because a shortbed is the only vehicle that will fit into our garage). The vehicle has a backup assist feature which requires one to place a decal horizontally on the trailer tongue in order for the camera to calibrate and follow the trailer's movement. I think this precludes getting the basket for the generator, unless the sticker/decal can be placed vertically on the basket's front. Does anyone know if this would work?

I don't have a Ford, but a little search shows me that you could mount the sticker on the front surface of the tray, no problem. That surface is 14" back from the ball on my trailer. Here is an Airstream with it mounted this way. I recommend that you install it directly over the tongue. Use some masking tape as guidelines so you can get it straight and pretty.

[attachment file=Backup Assist Sticker vertical.jpg]

I stole that pic from this thread: ... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/ford-backup-assist-sticker-placement-154225.html

One member says this: Just saw a post on the F150 Forum: They confirmed to me that it can be placed either horizontally or vertically as long as it is within their "green zone" of 7" to 22".

14 inches puts it dead center in the green zone.

I would not be without the storage tray. It is a valuable accessory.

Caution: as newbies you will really enjoy the Backup Assist feature, but be sure to practice hooking up with it turned off, so you are able to do it if the system does not work as advertised. You can talk to each other on your cell phones, but also buy a cheap set of walkie talkies for when there is no wireless signal, and keep them in the front of the cab. You will use them when you are backing into a tight campsite, for example, or to maneuver out of a dead end street that you mistakenly entered. It does happen, even to those who are very experienced. Having reliable communications with your assistant really helps you stay calm.

Welcome to the Forums.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Backup-Assist-Sticker-vertical.thumb.jpg.d108fa6e6d856a0a7a40eb31664b6343.jpg

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Hi we're newbies too and just picked up  our new Oliver last week.  We have a Ford Expedition with back up assist and the generator basket on our trailer.  The sticker will fit on the Bulldog hitch right in front of the basket in the HORIZONTAL position.  Backup assist is very helpful and I'm glad we have it.

• Thanks 1

F150 Lariet , tail gate will not lay flat due to Bulldog hitch, In my configuration i don’t see how the basket will work? 

You can get an extended “stinger”, AKA Rack, from Anderson. It is 3 inches longer and may be enough to  allow enough room for your tailgate. The decal can be moved, and the basket will clear the tailgate. It is 14 inches back from the ball, how long is your overhang?

https://andersenhitches.com/Products/33734-custom-4-wdez-hd-rack-with-3-extra-shank-length--2-shank.aspx

I use one on my 200. It works great. Here is the before, I can’t locate an after pic.

4B77649F-3C71-4A56-994D-1DDDB82F93C3.thumb.jpeg.1e4852ed6aa90c358c9c6587af00416b.jpeg

After I added airbags, I was able to drop the mount one hole in the rack, which gave even more clearance. If your 150’s butt is sagging, even with the Anderson, airbags are a great option to level the bed.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks John” The last time i was hooked up i had major concerns with screwing up the camera. It hits right on the tailgate lens. thanks I will give them a call.

Cool, please start a new thread about this, it will make it a little easier for folks researching the Andersen hitch.

John Davies

Spokane a