Tire covers Vs UV protectant

June

Both.

You need to treat the rubber with 303 Protectant or a similar product, to keep it from drying out.

You need to cover the exposed tires during storage to prevent long term UV damage.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I'd have to agree with John.  Protect the tires both ways. We do.

Even so, they only have a five year life. At best.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Also if parked on asphalt for long term, the tires should be on a piece of wood or plastic. Something that the constantly out gassing asphalt solvent can’t readily pass through. The solvent will accelerate the tire deterioration. I believe that trailer tires have some sort of protectant against this as well as some UV protectant as well. Correct me if this is incorrect.

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

I understand the covers, but do you spray you regular vehicle tires with the UV stuff too? Also, I know I've always read that trailer tires, that being ST tires as used in mass produced low quality trailers and Airstreams until a couple years ago, came with the 5 year rule/recommendation, the Oliver tires being "real" LT truck tires, is it believed to still apply, again is this something you adhere to with your normal driving vehicles too?

Well wasn't this a timely stumble across

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/tire-covers-or-303-uv-protectant-185749.html

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Although it just one more thing to store and keep up with - Covers stop almost all the harmful effects of the Sun - I need to either make some - or purchase- As for  the protectant - not sure its worth the  effort- perhaps.  I hope I have a different problem - excessive tire mileage- wear them out before the Sun can do its damage!

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

When on the road I use nothing other than the UV coating (333) that I apply before I leave home.  However, while in storage (outdoors) and covered with a canvas cover on the main body of the Ollie, I again use the UV 333 let it sit overnight, then cover each wheel with one of those commercial covers and then place a 1/2 sheet of plywood over the two wheels on each side.  Perhaps a bit anal, but, the covers were given to me and the plywood was also free.  At least when it is time to take Twist on the road again the tires and wheels really don't need very much cleaning.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"