2019 Model Changes

KWRJRPE

I just read the 2019 model will have a Norcold Refrigerator, a Dometic awning (manual is standard, powered will be an upgrade), and a convection microwave (upgrade). Since I will be picking up a 2019 model in April 2019, I am very anxious to read opinions about these changes. First, was Dometic Refrigerator in the previous models? Why did Oliver change to Norcold? How does Norcold compare to Dometic? Second, the awning change to Dometic - why do you think Oliver made this change? Was the previous awning problematic? Lastly, I must admit not much knowledge about convection microwaves. Is this an exciting development? What will a convection microwave do that a standard microwave lacks (I can Google that one, I guess). I usually merely heat up stuff in a Microwave. I anxiously look forward to comments and opinions regarding these changes.

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

• Moderators

I wouldn't be disappointed in getting a norcold. We've  had both brands in our own 2008, and in rental deliveries, and I prefer the  norcold. Better information on the panel for error codes, and I like the touch panel vs buttons on dometic.

That said, dometic owns both brands. And we no longer own a three way.  We're  strictly  12v danfoss/secop compressor fridge now.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

As far as the awning,  Oliver used to use the horizon, which was unavailable for awhile.  Dometic owns that brand now, too.

I also would not be disappointed with that change. But the current carefree is a great awning, too.

I suspect they may have gone with the dometic awning for the  power upgrade, plus the easier consistent availability.

Just my opinion.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

<p style="text-align: left;">And, lastly, the convection microwave.  We had one. Never, ever used the convection feature.  I have one in my home kitchen,  too. Never used it at home,  either . But, I rarely use a microwave at home,  and never camping. I like my big cabinet in place of the microwave on our 2008.</p>

Everyone  has different  styles. If you plan to camp a lot with fill hookups ( we don't), you might like the convection.  If you enjoy  campfire  cooking, not so much...

My microwave  died, I think, from lack of use, as we almost  never  have  electricity.  So, keep that in mind in weighing my advice. ..

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Being a push-button convenience sort of person, the idea of a power awning option seems mighty fine. I viewed the Dometic website and one reason for sticking with the manual awning is the freedom from electricity. How much juice does a power awning actually need? With my upgraded solar panels and batteries (and, the power inverter), should I be concerned about the power awning while boondocking? Are there other reasons to not select the power awning (other than additional costs which, to my knowledge, Oliver has not yet announced)? Would enjoy reading about experiences you have with power awnings.

KWR

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

I doubt  I would purchase the powered awning - I just like the simplicity of the manual,  the convection oven, not sure, we have yet to use the microwave we have, I think it works....

I must applaud Oliver - they seem to listen to the owners- just look at the year to year improvements.

Perhaps  one they should think about - a twin bed conversion to bridge the gap - I am doing my own - a simple design, easy to deploy - and uses cushions supplied in the couch option. I like the twin bed floor plan - but adding a "bridge" to increase useable sleeping surface area is something that just enhances our Ollie experience.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

We had a power Dometic awning on our Escape. Im not sure what model Oliver is going to use. It was self supporting and had no support legs. It was easy to operate by just pushing a button on the remote control to open and close. It did not use much power to open and close. It seemed kind of delicate and there were some people that had problems with them, we did not. They were not able to be tilted to shead off rain and had to be retracted most of the way in the rain. Some overloaded with water and damaged the arms during heavy rain. They were suppose to have a dump feature but it did not seem to work very good. They don't handle wind as good as one with supports but none of them really do as we saw at the rally this year. Escape has announced they are discontinuing the power awning on the 2019 models and I am not sure why. Overall I was not a fan of it and only had it out if I was sitting under it.  I like our Carefree better but also do not leave it out if we are not in the campground.

20170226_125147.thumb.jpg.5e2ee3bd5c7fc32db04379a431e5174f.jpg

20170226_125214.thumb.jpg.733f5510878b1867c06f6dad093e3bfa.jpg

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

• Moderators

Agree with kounteykamper. We've had power awnings on all the motorhomes we deliver. Not as easy to adjust. Mandatory to pull it in with any breezy or gusty conditions.  Given the choice, I'd stay with a manual awning. Easy to deploy. Still problematic in even moderate wind, but less so than the power awnings we've used.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Excellent feedback, and great help with pictures of the Escape power awning. You guys have real-life experience with awnings, so your opinion is quite valuable. I have heard wind is the enemy of awnings, manual or power. One YouTube video actually used the wind threat as a reason to go power (can retract power awning quicker than the manual version when a storm sneaks up). Being from Florida, quick and easy shade is a big deal! Tired of being hot and humid - each summer seems to get harder (or, possibly I am getting older and less able to handle the heat). Will be so nice to hookup to the Oliver (pickup April2019) and go to regions of cooler temps and less humidity (which is everywhere else compared to the Florida panhandle). The Dometic page has a cool looking high-tech power awning - will be interesting to see which model Oliver choses.

KWR

We are considering the purchase of a 2019 Elite II.  I'm not thrilled with the fact that they'll be using a vinyl awning (not Sunbrella/Weaved Fabric) and don't know if the housing will be vinyl or metal.  I'm hoping to learn more soon.  Wouldn't mind the convection/microwave upgrade.  When I search the fridges on Norcold's site, I can only find models with a light wood facia.  Lot's of questions for Oliver, LOL

Steph and Steve Kimball

2019 Oliver Elite II ~ Twin

Hull No. 463

• Moderators

Quick and easy is true of the power awning. Just not as stable, imo. I'm thinking about  a day we arrived at a shadeless spot in Durango.  Gusting winds every few minutes... had to abandon the beers and snacks every five minutes or so to reel in the power awning. On our delivery motorhome,  that's a big sail. It was quick. If we'd been in the Oliver, it would have been slightly longer. But not much, as we leave the handle engaged in iffy conditions for quick retraction, and, it's a much smaller awning.

I've seen a number of destroyed awnings, power and manual, where owners left the awning out unattended in wind conditions. It's all just a matter of common sense. And, timing.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Sakthorp, most all of the RV fridges have the option for different colors of face panels. I suspect norcold still does this, and I doubt Oliver  is changing up the panels from the black to a wood look....

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thanks Sherry, Hope you're right :-)

Steph

Sakthorp, most all of the RV fridges have the option for different colors of face panels. I suspect norcold still does this, and I doubt Oliver is changing up the panels from the black to a wood look….

Sherry

Steph and Steve Kimball

2019 Oliver Elite II ~ Twin

Hull No. 463