Oliver - Mobile Entertainment / Audio & Video

I've just posted my thoughts on the Oliver's "Entertainment Center" option, and our reasons for choosing not to have it installed.

My post is here, and copied below (without links or pictures):

http://radven.livejournal.com/134727.html

====

The Oliver Elite comes with an "Entertainment Center" package installed by default, consisting of a Jensen JE1508 15" LCD TV, a Jensen AWM960 wallmounted stereo with AM/FM/CD and DVD playback, and four interior speakers.

The Oliver's Entertainment Center package is certainly nice by RV standards, but it actually does leave a lot to be desired.

For one thing, the Jensen monitor is not wide screen, it is physically no bigger than most laptop screens, and it runs at a much lower resolution (1024x768) than we are used to. The ability to run off of 12V power and decode broadcast HDTV signals is nice - but for our needs DVD playback and usage as a secondary computer monitor is what is really important. (The Jensen JE1907DC 19" widescreen is a worthwhile upgrade to ask for, but still lacking for what we want...)

The DVD player however is the biggest disappointment. The AWM960 can only output lowres interlaced composite video to the TV, not high-resolution component or HDMI signals. So even though the JE1508 screen can handle HDTV resolution input, the quality of your DVD signal will be closer to VHS quality than what you would get from a modern upconverting DVD player. Not acceptable at all.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any other "mobile" AV system that can do any better. Even the upcoming Jensen AWM970 (which adds iPod support) will still only output composite video.

What I've come to realize is that with "mobile" AV electronics, you end up paying much more and getting much less.

What we are doing instead...

Instead of the factory-default setup, we've decide that a 22" computer monitor will make for the ideal display screen inside the Oliver.

Our top choice right now is the highly-rated Dell SP2208WFP, a 1680x1050 resolution 22" monitor with integrated webcam, HDMI inputs, and a super bright display - all for only $299. Other promising alternative 22" screens include the low-power ViewSonic VLED221wm or the HDTV-tuner equipped ViewSonic N2230w.

To provide the DVD playback, speakers, and audio amplification - I've been researching small "home theater in a box" systems. Expect a post documenting this research soon.

The more urgent challenge is finding the ideal mount to attach the monitor to the Oliver. There are literally hundreds of LCD monitor mounts to choose from. We need a mount that will hold the monitor securely in the corner of the Oliver, but which can ideally swing out over the table for better position while being used as a second monitor.

It would also be very cool if the monitor can swing in front of the window, allowing movie viewing from the patio. The Jensen MAF50 mount looks particularly promising - it can tilt, swivel, pan, and extend out over 16" from the wall.

The Oliver factory reports that they can install either a hanging mount (like used with the current TV), or a wall attached mount. Using a wall attached mount gives many more options - but it must be installed in the factory BEFORE the inner and outer shells of the Oliver are mated.

I will report back here with details. In the meantime - monitor, mini home theater, and monitor mount recommendations are appreciated.

• Thanks 1

Hi Chris n Cherie,

We are not audio/videophiles, so for us, the system is great. Compared to what is available from other small RV mfgs, the system is pretty advanced! The great thing about Oliver is that they are so willing to upgrade any system that feasibly can be improved. The exterior a/v system is unique in the under $100,000 rigs I believe!! Everybody that has seen our Oliver has complimented the int and ext A/V system.

We cannot wait to see your system!!! It sounds fantastic and may set future precedents for what can be done in small RVs !!!!!! The solar portion also will be of interest to all!!!

Thanks for your posts, they have been VERY informative and easily read!

Chuck n Geri

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hey, Chris & Cherie ! Many years ago in a far away place in S/E Asia, I spent way too many hours in a Huey Heilo, sitting in the area near the reduction gears. I have a hearing defficiency in that gear whine's audio spectrum. It makes the surround sound a cool thing, for these tired old ears to be able to hear all of the sounds in a movie. Ours works well for our needs at this time. However, . . . .

Your research into other systems will be appreciated as my condition slowly goes "down hill". Something that you recommend may well be the ticket to my being able to enjoy a movie, on down the road somewhere. Keep on a' diggin' buddy, your efforts are appreciated !

• Like 1

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

It makes the surround sound a cool thing, for these tired old ears to be able to hear all of the sounds in a movie. Ours works well for our needs at this time. However, . . . .

As best I can tell reading the AWM960's manual, there actually is not any sort of "surround sound" processing going on like you would have in a typical at home home theater receiver. The AWM960 just does basic stereo - and just like a car radio, it outputs it to four speakers.

That is not surround sound. You will not be able to hear a jet fighter in a movie whoosh over your head, for example.

And even if the AWM960 did surround sound decoding - the speakers are not located properly. Speaker placement is critical for a good surround effect.

- Chris

• Like 1

• Moderators

Oh, geeze, and all this time I imagined that the jet fighter was flying through the back window and out through the bathroom ! He, he :o

• Haha 1

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Mountainborn, I hope you had enough imagination to open the bathroom door so that jet didn't break your mirror. ;)

Chris, you may stumble across some perfect surround sound system for the interior of the Uber-Oliver but wouldn't you need to decide exactly where you wanted the central focus of that surround sound experience? What if you had it all set for lounging on the bed and then shifted to a dinette seat? Would that compromise your experience? What if the "sweet spot" of pure surround sound was only at one pillow location on the full sized bed? Would you & Cherie have to draw straws to see who got the best spot? :roll:

To avoid pitfalls and if it is that crucial, perhaps some surround sound headphones would solve your problem . . . check out the following:

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/pr ... sid=009925

Next, you & Cherie need to get some cool 3-D glasses for a truly in depth experience and then you can reach up and touch the jet as it passes overhead! :geek::geek:

• Haha 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Headphones are a pretty good idea (although, I hate wearing things around my ears and it interupts the most important part of movie watching - snuggling).. and the concerns of a sweet spot are very valid. For most folks anyways.

But given that Chris is the audiophile, and I'm partially deaf anyway (and just really need closed captioning and some of the sound.. thus part of the need for the larger screen) - as long as Chris is happy with the sound *he's* hearing, I'll adapt and be happy :) I've personally never understood the desire for surround sound or tweaking sounds systems - as to my ears, it makes very little difference.

~Cherie~

• Like 1

Cherie n Chris!!

I tried to be serious and give you an informative reply, but those "other" folks just couldn't so I'll have to try.....yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Mountainborn went deaf from tryin' to listen for the C-133s abringin' his parts in!! But us poor loadmasters abringin' his parts in went deaf from those turboprop engines! Geri is deaf in one ear and can't hear outta the other so we just crank it up over the Air Conditioner and love it!!! It sounds like surround sound to US!!!!!!

FYI: the jet went in the curbside window n out the other!!!!!!! :o:o

Chuck

• Wow 1

To avoid pitfalls and if it is that crucial, perhaps some surround sound headphones would solve your problem . . . check out the following:

I have seen some impressive "surround sound" headphones, but most of them (including the ones you linked to) fake it and just add a "surround effect" to stereo audio. Bah!

And as Cherie mentioned, headphones do get in the way of snuggling.

I will need to keep looking to find the ideal setup... Maybe I can even manage to find an appropriately sized Blue-Ray player. If so, then we will definitely want to upgrade to a 24" screen. *grin*

- Chris

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ok now Chris, for the truly serious answer . . . You & Cherie are relaxing and snuggling on the full sized bed watching a romantic movie and you are worried about surround sound :!::?::!:

Priorities, my friend, think about it . . . what's REALLY important here?

• Like 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg