Customer design input-Larger Ollie

BackofBeyond

• Moderators

I would love to see an 8 inch stretch on the shorty...6 inches added to the bed, two to the door. If that added too much weight, though, to need a tandem axle, I'd say no way.

Without any extra length, the original Ollie Elite is a fine boondocking machine. We've got the time and miles to know. (11 years, 100,000 miles).

Love my little trailer. Everything we need, and then some.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I don't view the Oliver models as "Stay and Play" travel trailers, where one wants all the comforts of home in a mobile package, but rather more of a unit that can provide a good level of comfort, versatility,  and utility, in a size that fits in almost any place one has a desire to go - backcountry and all. I agree the former would drive new larger models engineered from a different perspective, but I believe Oliver has so far decided to stay in their original lane. I understand new models represent a large capital expense for Oliver, not to mention all that goes into the engineering, design, and manufacturing processes. At some point Oliver may decide a new model would be revenue positive, but I doubt currently they are working that hard on a new model - perhaps- but given the current backlog - making the adjustments would be a monumental effort - especially for a smaller organization like Oliver.

As I think about this, and consider my own experiences with my EII, there are a few things I believe could be improved/rethought which would drive additional revenue for the company, and represent more options for the consumer. Think convertibility, multi-use design type improvements. Sort of a "transformers" frame of mind set.

If it were my decision - I would look at the opportunities for improvement with my current models.  As an example - I would like to see some more versatility in the interior layout.  There should be a option/process to cleanly convert the twin beds to a "queen" and back again -similar for the dinette area. (I have my own conversion process - but I digress).  Wet bath - fine - then develop a better shower curtain - the current one just doesn't get it done - I have jury rigged mine to work better - I'm working on a better solution(Or I guess just don't worry about it....).  Given the time I'd bet a focus group of current and former owners would come up with some great ideas.

Some basic options that should be considered/offered - DC compressor refrigerator/freezer, factory rear mud flap, factory frontal protection package (think Airstream), additional exterior storage solutions, and on... Seems to me Oliver is leaving a lot of money on the table here - and where's the branded clothing, hats, gear.

But I'll return to my original thought - if indeed Oliver started out as a solution to what the Oliver brothers found lacking in an RV that met their outdoor lifestyle needs, perhaps the move to additional larger models strays to far from that vision.

All in good fun and thought,

RB

• Thanks 3

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 3 weeks later...

After a year in my Oliver I wouldn't change a thing.

• Like 1

ALAZARCOFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMNMSMOMTNMNCOHSCSDTNTXUTWYmed.jpg

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

Our two pups Muffinz and Maddie

2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax 6.6 liter 4WD Crew 

2018 Oliver LE2 Twin Bed, Hull #322, Our Igloo on Wheels

I saw the prototype camped next to Steve and Tali. That thing is huge!

Well, it certainly would not fit in most of the places I go, and it needs better graphics......

• Thanks 2

A thought that was shared with me at the factory tour. Which i think would be over the top and set a new standard in the rv market. Design the bath area with the walk-in tub that they build. Over head shower head and a built in sink. As a molded unit. Great idea.

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

lol, no, unfortunately.  Though my idea of an Elite III has 34" tires and a front to back skid plate.

One of our Oliver family recently went over to the dark side, so to fit in at the rally, they made a sign for their trailer that said Legacy Elite III.  The slide outs gave them away though.  Also very poor articulation between the truck and trailer.

Me:

1.  I feel the bath is fine now.  Wouldn't want valuable space dedicated to something like a dry bath w/ shower you use so little, timewise.  After all, if you're not a coal miner, how long does it take to wash and clean yourself?

2.  My only desire if adding length is space for a comfortable lounge chair.  (see #3)

3.  I would love an option for just 1 single bed, maybe full size single, and across from it a pc desk/drawer/file arrangement (techie work/ entertainment center if you like) in place of the other bed.  Add a combo desk/lounge chair for the workstation that would slide up to and fit under desk when not used, but with a reclining feature to be used for watching tv or even napping/sleeping in.  That would then be the perfect trailer for a boondocking/traveling single person, including retirees, journalists, photographers, authors, astronomers, archeologists, &/or hermits.

If you ever see me, simply pretend I am not there.

• 1 year later...

I average three months a year in our OE2.  Sure lots of the above thoughts and ideas are great to dream about.  But for the boondocking and high mileage that we cover, our OE2 is just about perfect.  My only strong issue with the design is that the A/C noise is horrible.  This issue is not a new one for Oliver as it comes up again and again.

My hope is that Oliver is looking at a retrofit A/C units (Heat not required) that is substantually quieter than our existing units.  The goal would be for them to offer it as an improvement for the next model year, and as an upgrade to existing owners when our "Hammer Mill" A/C units wear out.   

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

3 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

My only strong issue with the design is that the A/C noise is horrible. 

I assume that Oliver was putting 13,500-BTU units in the 2019 trailers (is this correct?), and  I understand that the A/C for current models is rated at 11,000 BTUs.   Does anyone know if this unit is appreciably quieter?

• Like 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

• 3 months later...

Not a current or former owner, but a potential future owner.

I would like to see a longer (but not necessarily wider) Legacy Elite III.

Apparently, once you own an Oliver you fall in love with the wet bath design, but I'm not a fan and I'm guessing other potential owners might agree.  Adding 4-5 feet in length would allow for a dry bath setup (more centrally located) that I think would bring in more customers that see the wet bath as a deal breaker.  I want that Oliver quality in a package similar to other high-end trailers.  I like the idea of more natural light in the front of the trailer, so I would like a larger dining area up front with front and side windows added for more views once the tow vehicle is detached.  A larger dining area with wrap-around seating would then convert to a larger bed which would increase the sleeping capacity to at least four.  Allowing for the twin beds in the back to convert into a larger bed (as others have suggested) could also increase the sleeping capacity for families.

Increasing the length would allow for larger tank sizes and more roof area for additional solar capacity.  This would make longer boondocking trips possible.

I realize that adding that much length would rule out such a trailer for some, but then the Elite II would still be available for that group.

I agree with previous comments about fridge and oven options, but I'm not sure those would be make or break changes for potential customers.  Offering a significant difference between the Elite II and Elite III would be Oliver's best chance for increased sales and happier campers.

So Escape is getting ready to launch a new trailer with dry bath, twin or large bed in front with dinette in rear.  Length is about same as Elite II but trailer specs are about a foot wider.   

I looked at Escape before placing order for Oliver.   They are nice trailers but the interior to me is still stuck in 1980s.   It reminds me of Pace Arrow my grandpa had in 1980s.  Just a preference thing.  I also looked at Casitas and the carpet on wall is a no go for me.  

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

On 1/3/2021 at 9:24 AM, TempusFugit said:

Not a current or former owner, but a potential future owner.

I would like to see a longer (but not necessarily wider) Legacy Elite III.

Apparently, once you own an Oliver you fall in love with the wet bath design, but I'm not a fan and I'm guessing other potential owners might agree.  Adding 4-5 feet in length would allow for a dry bath setup (more centrally located) that I think would bring in more customers that see the wet bath as a deal breaker.  I want that Oliver quality in a package similar to other high-end trailers.  I like the idea of more natural light in the front of the trailer, so I would like a larger dining area up front with front and side windows added for more views once the tow vehicle is detached.  A larger dining area with wrap-around seating would then convert to a larger bed which would increase the sleeping capacity to at least four.  Allowing for the twin beds in the back to convert into a larger bed (as others have suggested) could also increase the sleeping capacity for families.

Increasing the length would allow for larger tank sizes and more roof area for additional solar capacity.  This would make longer boondocking trips possible.

I realize that adding that much length would rule out such a trailer for some, but then the Elite II would still be available for that group.

I agree with previous comments about fridge and oven options, but I'm not sure those would be make or break changes for potential customers.  Offering a significant difference between the Elite II and Elite III would be Oliver's best chance for increased sales and happier campers.

We are happy with our wet bath.  While situating the bathroom at the front of the trailer does have the downside of eliminating panoramic windows in the dining area, it has advantages:

1. No need for glass protection for forward facing windows

2. A mid-ship located bathroom breaks the floor plan into two small "rooms"; having the "facilities" at one end gives a more open, spacious floor plan.

3. The front bathroom makes better use of space, allowing a larger bathroom.

Additional thoughts:

I wonder about the structural integrity of a longer but not wider trailer.

The new Escape is the same length as the Elite II. 

I like the idea of the Oliver's smaller, simpler design; There are plenty of larger trailers with more amenities, for those who desire the qualities you mention, though few are built as well as the Oliver.

We love our Elite II

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

37 minutes ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

We are happy with our wet bath.  While situating the bathroom at the front of the trailer does have the downside of eliminating panoramic windows in the dining area, it has advantages:

1. No need for glass protection for forward facing windows

2. A mid-ship located bathroom breaks the floor plan into two small "rooms"; having the "facilities" at one end gives a more open, spacious floor plan.

3. The front bathroom makes better use of space, allowing a larger bathroom.

Additional thoughts:

I wonder about the structural integrity of a longer but not wider trailer.

The new Escape is the same length as the Elite II. 

I like the idea of the Oliver's smaller, simpler design; There are plenty of larger trailers with more amenities, for those who desire the qualities you mention, though few are built as well as the Oliver.

We love our Elite II

It sounds like you found the perfect fit for you.  I was offering a different perspective... someone interested in a larger rig with a different setup that might appeal to other types of buyers.

I can be very comfortable with a smartly packed 75 liter pack that carries my tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, etc.  It's all very functional, but that isn't everyone's cup of tea.  I'm not trying to imply that there is anything wrong with the Elite II.  I think a larger rig with different types of amenities / layouts might broaden the appeal of Oliver's high quality trailers.

• Like 1

I think a larger Ollie (Elite III) is a great idea to make the Oliver travel trailer (superior quality and functionality) available to those that want/need extra space.  We have only owned our Elite II for a month and a half now, and I've already made a bunch of modifications.  While I enjoy doing modifications and have many of the tools and skills needed to pull some of them off (especially with help from forum members who have been there, done that), there are some that I'd just rather pay for.  So...  in addition to a new Oliver III, I'd like to see Oliver start offering upgrades (packaged) to new and current owners of the I's and II's.

Some ideas that I'd have reached deeper into my wallet for...  Deep winterization package (for extreme conditions such as Rocky mountain skiing), off-road package (with upgraded suspension, mud flaps, body protection), increased solar capacity, upgraded components like the refrigerator and/or A/C, options for using the available black tank when composting toilet option chosen.  It would be great to have more access panels, ports, etc. located throughout the trailer to make troubleshooting, modifying and fixing things a lot easier.

These would be nice additions, but all in all I wouldn't trade in my TT for anything else - I'm very happy with the Elite II!

Edited by NCeagle
  • Like 2

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

Given the backlog of orders in the Oliver supply chain I would have to believe a new model is not in the forefront of the Oliver mindset. Increasing production and improving process throughput and improving initial quality seem much better targets. Quality is a very expensive thing to fix - after the fact. Incremental improvements in margins - especially in the additional options would be the smart move. From what I've seen, the service guys have turned the corner - from necessary product support, to profit center. Certainly nothing to complain about as a business decision. 

I could see a time when the Elite I is put on hold, or given specific order/production timing.  Maximizing the higher margin Elite II, (my guess) developing new high margin add on options and product improvements just makes sense. Developing a new model- is very expensive, stresses engineering and design, and bottlenecks the already stressed production schedule.

I am not optimistic on the idea of a new larger Oliver. However - how about some sort of new options offerings, after sale add on - improvement on OEM offering.

Where is the Oliver online store? Where the additional cool stuff is available for purchase: Shower mats (yes, Oliver branded), Replacement table tops, counters , Oliver fitted bedding, fixtures, Oliver designed front end protection, rear wheel "mud flaps", and on....  This stuff would be high margin, easy to design, and have someone else manufacture- drop shipped on demand. 

Oh, right, When we catch up to orders, well think about it---- 

RB

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I am 4 years from retirement and plan to travel a lot with my two large German Shepherds and a friend now and then.  I have only recently discovered Oliver Trailers and I am impressed but, have not seen one in person.  

I am considering an Airstream as well.  I went and looked at them and feel the 27 foot front bed twin design is the perfect layout size for me.  I like the lounge area, kitchen space, fridge size, storage space, 2 AC option and room to move around.  Plus, it is not “too big” to fit in most parks.  

I do plan to buy something in about 2-3 years so, I can do some local camping before I retire and really hit the road.  I plan to visit the Oliver Factory in March and look at them in person.  I truly hope an Elite III is in the works. I just feel (without being in one yet, a Elite II, will be too cramped) for what I am hoping for in lifestyle.  It would be great to have more counter space, much bigger fridge/freezer and more storage for food and clothes. I also hope they do NOT go the 5th wheel route.  I saw Escape’s and I am not a fan at all.  I would hate to have to go up and down those stairs during the night to use the restroom.  Plus, I want to be able to stand next to my bed.  

I do love the quality and design of the Olivers and really hope something works out!   

You have to understand with a dual fiberglass shell the Oliver Elite II is already quite heavy for its size, at 25 or 27 feet that weight would grow considerably. Based upon your description above I suspect the Oliver is not a good fit for your needs or desires, unless you decide to make some serious compromises. Understand too that AS you looked at is at least 8 foot wide and probably 8.5 foot which becomes an entirely different game when towing compared to the 7 foot wide Oliver. Personally I don't care if Oliver ever decides to make a larger one, it would not interest me one iota given how we camp and travel. 

Another option for you to consider is the Lance Travel Trailers and IMHO they are made to a much different standard than other boxy trailers. I personally feel their quality control is noticeably better than AS though the AS's really look cool especially on the inside. Nice designs! If you go the Lance route, no one will ever ask to see the inside or ask for a tour of the trailer with an Oliver you have to figure on doing this at almost every campground you arrive at. This has been the case for us going on 7 years. 

Good luck with your decision process and welcome to the group.

• Like 6

Legacy Elite II #70

28 minutes ago, routlaw said:

You have to understand with a dual fiberglass shell the Oliver Elite II is already quite heavy for its size, at 25 or 27 feet that weight would grow considerably. Based upon your description above I suspect the Oliver is not a good fit for your needs or desires, unless you decide to make some serious compromises. Understand too that AS you looked at is at least 8 foot wide and probably 8.5 foot which becomes an entirely different game when towing compared to the 7 foot wide Oliver. Personally I don't care if Oliver ever decides to make a larger one, it would not interest me one iota given how we camp and travel. 

Another option for you to consider is the Lance Travel Trailers and IMHO they are made to a much different standard than other boxy trailers. I personally feel their quality control is noticeably better than AS though the AS's really look cool especially on the inside. Nice designs! If you go the Lance route, no one will ever ask to see the inside or ask for a tour of the trailer with an Oliver you have to figure on doing this at almost every campground you arrive at. This has been the case for us going on 7 years. 

Good luck with your decision process and welcome to the group.

Hi, and thanks for the welcome!  I am aware it may not work for me. Although, the 27th is probably bigger than I truly need. I did look at a couple Lance Trailers and they just weren’t for me.  

So far, it is just been the Airstream out of all the ones I have looked at that I really felt “good” inside of.  I know, I do not want slide outs or anything too large.   I will be buying a truck next year and will be getting a 3/4 ton diesel regardless of the size a get (that will eliminate large 5th wheels. But again, not a fan of even the big ones.  

I am excited to go check the Elite II out when I’m in Tennessee.  Even if it were no wider but, just a couple of more feet for a Elite III, I think that could make a big difference for me personally.  However, never seeing one yet, hard to say for sure.

Thanks again!  

• Moderators

What routlaw said.

There is a world of difference between an Elite II and a 27’ Airstream, size wise.  If the AS seemed right to you, the Oliver will seem small.  If you frequent Airforums, you will see that Airstream does have quality control issues.  It seems that it takes about a year of fixes and repairs and maybe a trip to the factory in Ohio before things are right.  Most AS owners don’t seem to mind because of the “cool” factor, nice interior appointments and size.  We also looked at AS and really liked them when sitting in the showroom or on the lot.

As far as a bigger Oliver, I bet they are currently at the drawing board looking at how it might be implemented.  I don’t think it will happen in the near future, though.  A trip to the factory is a good idea.  You’ll be able to experience the size and learn about Oliver’s manufacturing process and QC.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

By the sounds of it - you have already decided on what you want.

If I were in your shoes I'd try attacking the issue from a different perspective - how do you intend to use your camper?

What I mean by this is if your main usage will be going to commercial camp grounds and possibly the occasional National Park (even though the 27 foot AS could be a bit of a challenge in some of these parks) you will have your decision.  On the other hand - if you want ease of travel, ease of getting into and out of more remote places or if you want to camp in chilly weather then that road will lead you in a different direction.  If you spend or plan to spend a fair amount of your camping and on the road time actually in your camper then something a bit on the roomy side would be attractive while if being in the out of doors, hiking, fishing and the like is your style then you will go in a different direction.  Let these decisions drive the answer to what size and/or design of camper you should look at.  Then you will be in a better position to be comfortable with the brand of camper.

Good luck!

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"