Who is towing with a Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax?

dbp05ret

KountryKamper, that sure is a good looking truck!!! Color, topper, the whole package. Going to sell my 2015 Tundra Limited and get one of those trucks. The desire is simply too great.

Ken

Sorry you had to stare at it for 4 days during the rally but your going to love it. ?

• Thanks 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

I've put 14000 miles on my 2018 GMC Duramax, about 1/2 towing the Ollie. I am pleased with truck so far - weird though, on the current trip, the fuel mileage has dropped to about 13mpg - running across Texas, and through NM northward. Running 70 I was in the mid 14 range, now not so. Perhaps the headwinds caused most of the loss. We will see....as this was the case on my van.

As for the tailpipe location, I have not noticed any ill effects at all. I don't have an issue with the location, would not spend any more $$ to modify.

• Thanks 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderator+

For anyone with the L5P Duramax (2017 or later) yesterday I got a check engine light. My Bosch OBDII scanner showed an error code of P0133A. It turned out the truck needed a software update for the Glow Plug Command Module. It might behove you to have your version checked to avoid the wait at a dealership while you’d really rather be traveling.

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=8172

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Thanks Steve,

When I had it in for the last "free" oil change they did a few software updates - one listed as injector something or other. I would imagine if this update was available then it too was updated. Seems it is for 2017 models,  I will be on the look out however. The last 200 miles I'm back at 14 mpg - heading north. Who knows...

RB

• Moderator+

The article was written in 2017. I got the impression from the dealer this upgrade would be applicable for any truck manufactured prior to this software versions release.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I’m am going to the dealer Monday for service. There is a recall notice for the Block heater wire. They said it was just a check to make sure the wire is not being pinched on the frame. 2017 Chevy Duramax.

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Couldn’t stand it. Bought a Duramax today. You all be sure to collect your GM sales commissions.

Congrats!  If GM only had a referral program like Oliver's...

- Randy

• Thanks 2

2018 LE2 STD #365

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax 4x4

• 1 month later...

I checked out the Silverado to get an idea of what I will see in the HD next year.  Nice truck and would be a front runner.  Fell short when I was looking for the adjustable pedals which apparently the new Silverado/HD no longer get. Any vertically challenged (5'2" or less) drivers on the newer trucks without adjustable pedals?  It'd be nice if my wife could see over the hood and reach the pedals at the same time.

Between Olivers…

[postquote quote=173491][/postquote]

Not to worry if you fuel mileage is low to start, it will steadily increase as the motor breaks in,  i made the trip from Florida to Tennessee to pick up my oliver on June 26, on the trip back average 15 mpg. The other nice thing engine braking.  Had some 6% down grades, set the cruise, set the engine brake. And just cruised down with out touching the brakes.

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

[postquote quote=180360]I have not seen a 2020 Duramax yet but the 2019 have adjustable pedals.[/postquote]

Yes, this is why I was surprised it isn't in the 2019 1500 or 2020 2500.  We've come to the conclusion that it is possible to drive the truck at 5'2", it's just a tradeoff in visibility and safety that we aren't willing to make - so now we're between Ford and Ram.

Between Olivers…

UPDATE - 21000 miles, 12000 of  them towing the Ollie - still love this truck. Averaged 14-15 mpg on the last trip (8300 miles). Biggest issue is remembering your towing something, and looking down and realizing your going 80 mph.....yikes.

And the Ollie - just as satisfying, can't think of one thing I'd complain about, but much to praise. A great match.  GMC 2500 and the Ollie EII.

• Thanks 3

• Moderators

Whatda, have you checked out the 2020 GMC Sierra? I can't find info on the pedals, but the Sierra seems to have more features than the Silverado, including that trick tailgate for 2020...

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Considering trading in my Sierra 1500 SLT Max Tow 6.2L.  Did a test drive  on a 2016 3500 Duramax/Allison Sierra....NICE.  Surprisingly smooth ride for a 1-Ton.  Also drove a Ram 3500 turbo diesel Limited.  Also very nice.  Quieter than the GMC...but the ride was not quite as nice...of course these had no loads.  Plus the Ram had the truck bed boxes and the cargo features found in the Limited.  Both had around 21K miles.  Both right around $54K.  Gulp!

Greg

Greg

USN Retired

ARS AB7R

• 2 weeks later...

WE really like our 2018 Duramax HD. On the trip to Western United States this year pulling the Oliver Legacy Elite 2, we averaged 14.1 mpg. We drove her pretty hard and she performed really well. I am now considering a Ranch Hand Front Bumper/Grill Guard PART NUMBER : FBC155BLR. Has any Duramx owners bought one as of yet or a like system?

Thanks,

Darryl

Just purchased 2019 GMC Sierra HD2500 4WD crew cab Denali with Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 engine and 6-speed Allison transmission.  The dealer offers a LIFETIME powertrain warranty as incentive (seems like a good thing for a diesel truck?).  Have not towed anything yet, but expecting to experience a different compared to my 2015 Toyota Tundra (which towed the Oliver just fine).  Now, purchasing ARE truck cap and Master Glide cargo slide.  All it takes is money (and apparently, lots of it).

• Thanks 1

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

Can't beat a free lifetime warranty.  Not much risk for the dealer considering the already long manuf warranty on drivetrain and length of time most people keep their vehicles.

I do want to add a 'for your info' comment on extended warranties based on my previous years selling Honda and Toyota vehicles.  Extended warranties are a huge cash cows for dealers and especially for the finance dept person who does all the closing/financial parts of your transaction.  Those warranties have enormous markups and the finance 'mgrs' are free to get as much or little as they can for each.  They will gouge if they can, or sell for $50 profit if that is all they think they can get from you.  I have known some buyers bold enough to have them get their book out and show their cost and offer them $100 or $200 profit if they want to make a sale.  I would think any of those warranties could be had for at least half of the price they initially ask for one.  After all it is the last chance they have to squeeze a few extra dollars out of you.  At least say to them, No, not at that price.  They Will Come Down!

I believe the last new car I bought in 1990, they wanted $1800 for ext warr. and I said I would pay $700, and he was happy to take it.  It did pay for itself, for I broke the drivetrain on the sports car right after manuf warr. was up.  It cost 2 grand to fix.

Oh yes, one more thing.  You'd have to google search to find one, but nowadays there are one or more ext warranty salesmen out there who work for dealerships that sell most every make of vehicle on one of their many dealerships in that city, who over the internet will sell you any manuf. ext warr. for $150 or so over cost.  They are legit and sell exactly the same as you local dealership.  Guess you could play one against the other if need be.  Check it out.

• Thanks 2

If you ever see me, simply pretend I am not there.

Extended warranties - Very interesting! Thank you for the insight.  Sometimes I get the extended warranty and some time I don't (never really decided the best course).  Did not occur to me to negotiate the warranty.  I have put money down on my new GMC HD2500 but not yet met with the Finance Manager and gone through that dance.  I have decided to pay cash (not finance) so I have an opportunity to bleed more money into the dealership bucket.  Maybe listen to the warranty song and then offer half? With free lifetime powertrain warranty (and this will be my last truck), additional extended warranty offers will be of moderate interest.  Having never owned anything but Toyota products, I do not know much about the long-term quality of today's GMC products.  I welcome opinions regarding getting an extended warranty.  Please hurry with opinions, I close the deal Thursday afternoon.

KWR

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

Thrs afternoon is tomorrow. So I will comment re: your situation.  With all the elect & hitech stuff on vehicles, and I'm talking associated with the workings of the engines and such, besides the complicated touch screen controls, I would really want a 'full' bump-> bump warranty if I was one to keep my vehicle for a long time and the price of warranty was decent.  I am sure you would be surprised of how limiting the engine/chassis warranty actually is.  There are just hundreds of expensive items that can go off.  IE, my last mini-van had just 1 of several computer circuitry that controlled engine in some way go bad 10 yrs ago - That was $1700 out of my pocket right after 36 month warranty went out.  I had engine ext warranty, but they said that was electrical.  Can't imagine what those new 6-7" info screen computer control thingies would cost when they go bad.  Gotta make sure if you pay for ext warranty what exactly it covers and especially not covers  Also the more miles you drive each year might require you pay for more mileage not just pay for so many months of coverage.  Some may not cover one's higher miles driven, even though one has months or yrs in time left.

Just a lot of food for thought.  Balance the cost in regards to the peace of mind you personally want and need.

• Thanks 1

If you ever see me, simply pretend I am not there.

As has been stated, All warranties are not equal.  Unlimited powertrain - great, but not on anything electrical...… and a great deal of todays powertrains have lots of electronic control. As I listened to the dealer rep go over the warranty he was trying to sell me, I got deep into the details, and  he drew up a kind of flow chart to show how the coverage worked, very enlightening.  The GMC Duramax has a factory 100 K  miles coverage, so I passed.  Yes one can find - at different prices, other warranties, with a multitude of coverages, its almost as bad as health insurance. From my experience - its not the powertrain I worry about.

I had great experience with my former GMC truck, but after 15 years I had some simple AC controls fritz out, and the speedo cluster, I replaced them - myself, but the powertrain was as good as new....so who knows. My Toyota experience - the tailgate rusted out in 3 years, but ran fine....

Todays autos are computers with a mechanical drive train. Can't imagine self drivers - more electric stuff to go haywire. Not to mention all the bells and whistles on the interior - which are NOT plug and play. Rolling arcade and entertainment centers - connected and integrated to a chassis and powertrain - what's to go wrong....

I have high hopes for my GMC long term, but its just a crap shoot  - if it goes three years with no issues, it will probably last 15, so we will see.

I long for the old days - simple powertrains, a radio, mechanical controls, 4 steel wheels ---  but horrible mpg, smog generators, and little crash technology - not in the same world as todays rolling technology wonders.

RB

• Thanks 1

A tale of two Tow Vehicles; Upgraded to 2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 4WD, Duramax Diesel, Denali, crew cab, standard bed.  The 2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7L , Limited, 4WD, is promised to Nan.  After thoughtful advice, I did purchase the extended warranty (10 year/100K mile bumper to bumper) for the GMC - simply do not want any hassles this late in life.

Leaving this Wednesday first time towing Oliver LEII with 2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD, Duramax Diesel - I expect it will be a different experience.

Two-Tow-Verhicles.thumb.jpg.f2fd4564dd4e18be31cda39bd9a6fa37.jpg

KWR