vent covers & fans

In browsing through some photos, I noticed a fair number of people have added what I assume to be MaxxAir vent covers over the stock Fantasic vents. I have already upgraded to the Fantastic model 6600 (on paper...nothing's built yet), but maybe a cover would be nice to allow the fan to stay open during the rain. Like many others, we will also be traveling with a dog, so being able to ventilate during rain events is a concern.

Alternatively, it looks like the MaxxFan would be an all-in-one solution, replacing the Fantastic fan altogether. It's also available with a fancy digital wall control.

I've never had one, so I'm curious what people think would be best for our Oliver.

• Moderators

We have the Maxaire 800 and the fantastic Fan with the rain sensor. It works well. We use it for most occasions. Even when not running, the vent flap is open inside the maxAire cover while going down the highway.

I hear that the new fan from Sure Flow, (is that the right name ? ), is much quieter and has some other convenient features, that intrest us. We would consider it in the future.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

I thought maybe more people were using covers over their fans. In researching on other forums, it's seems like 99% of people who have absolutely love them. Also, it appears that both Maxxair and Fantastic have excellent customer service reputations.

Performance-wise, the Fantastic 6600 has lower power consumption and 14 variable speeds but would require the rather bulky FanMate 800  to remain open in the rain or on the road. The MaxxFan has the advantage of an available LCD wall control with thermostat...set the temp and it does the rest. That also means I'd be dealing with 3 thermostats (fan, A/C, and heater)...could start to look a bit cluttered near the sink, since that's where I usually see them mounted.

I think I'll be going with the MaxxFan, pending feedback from the factory, based mostly on aesthetics and the fact that I don't particularly like after-market solutions if it can be avoided. As far as I can tell, it wouldn't require any additional prep changes. Additionally, I'm have an amplified TV antenna installed by the factory (in lieu of the King Dome), and the low profile of the MaxxFan will be less likely to interfere with reception.

Thoughts, anyone? Does this sound like a good idea?

• Moderators

Our maxaire vent cover has no fan in it. It does have the opening facing down and it has a good stainless steel screen to keep out wasps and dirt daubers.

The fantastic fan's thermostat isn't remote located, it is in the fan housing it's self. The fantastic fan moves so much air that we seldom use any speed but the very lowest. The exception being hot humid days. Geeze ! We are in the hot, humid South, maybe we use higher speeds more than I thought ? :lol:

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

I like the Fantastic Vent Fan company's customer service. I do not like the Sur Flow Company's service that much. They were very slow to respond to my needs.

I am going to go with the Fantastic 6600 fan without a cover, simply for the clean looks, and rely on my two Window/Maxx window covers for ventilation during the rain. I'm guessing that the Fantastic Vent 6600 can be operated in manual mode, on low speed, with the dome cracked open only an inch or two, so the rain can't get in. If that plan doesn't work, I'll have to have a vent cover placed over the fan.

Doug

• Moderators

Herm and Doug,

We have the Fantastic Fan, no Maxx cover or window louvers, at least yet. I love the look of the new MaxxFan you found, Herm. Great solution for rainy days and nights, while offering a low profile when closed. If it has a thermostat on the dial like the Fantastic fan's, I personally wouldn't bother with an additional wall thermostat. If the fan itself is rated as highly as the Fantastic Fan, and doesn't consume more amps when boondocking, it looks like a great option, and one we'd certainly consider if we were purchasing a new fan or Oliver today, primarily because you could close up all the windows and still leave a vent open while away from the trailer, without consuming any power to run the fan or thermostat.

That said, Doug, even though I suspect the MaxxFan may allow better airflow, we have managed fine so far without hookups in the rain with the FantasticFan on manual, vent opened slightly, and the fan running on low & exhaust with the rear emergency (awning) window opened. This draws the air across the bed. If it's not too windy with the rain, we also open the curbside window and deploy the awning, staking the awning down with an inexpensive tie down kit from Walmart's camping section. (This arrangement also provides shade to the curbside window on sunny days, helping us to keep the interior cool and comfortable when boondocking.) It rained at least a little about 10 nights of the four week trip that we just completed in our Oliver. Paul did have to roll the awning in a couple nights when the wind kicked up (it is, after all, like a big sail), but it only takes a few minutes for him to do that. (We do not leave the awning deployed unattended to go to town or go off hiking if there's any chance of big winds... too much opportunity for damage.)

I understand that the new generation Maxx vent covers attach somehow to the existing Fantastic frame without making new holes in the roof, and would probably be pretty simple to add if we felt the need someday.However, I always close the trailer up when we travel to avoid road dust & fumes and drag, and the camper stays reasonably comfortable with the benefit of the double hull, insulation, thermal windows, and privacy shades. I can pop in at a rest stop and make a couple sandwiches or grab some cool drinks and a map without being uncomfortable. My two and a half cents....

Sherry

PS Looking forward to meeting all of you in the future. Your dialog on the forum as you work out your orders has been thought-provoking and very interesting.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The MAXXFAN VENT has three speeds:

High: 4.4 amps, 900 CFM

Med: 2.5 amps, 730 CFM

Low: 1.4 amps, 500 CFM

The Fantastic Vent Fan 6600 has 14 speeds, 920 CFS on high, with current draws of between .2 and 1.9 amps. For boondocking, the Fantastic is the most efficient, by far.

I think that is why Oliver recommends it.

Doug

• Moderators

Thanks, Doug,

And as I said, has worked well for us. Now I know why Oliver recommends it....

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sort of related to this thread topic .... Adohen Supply Co. is a good source for Fan-tastic products and information not found on the manufacturer's website. Good examples are the low profile domes and special curved trim garnishes available through them. I believe they are the online source that Fan-tastic will direct you to.

http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/

Actually on an OEM installation with the LCD wall control, it is capable of 4 speeds, but regardless, Doug is correct in that it consumes a LOT more power, which will be a deal-breaker for many. The LCD wall control does eliminate controls on the fan itself, so it's not redundant, and it has the benefit of placing the thermostat (with actual temperature settings) at a remote location, not on the fan itself. So, it sort of comes down to which features matter the most to you. If you have roof-mounted solar panels, you may also have space restrictions to consider.

Another thought on air intake while the fan is exhausting (during rain events)...opening the bathroom window? Even if the bathroom got drenched in a heavy downpour, I would think the worst thing that would happen is you'd put a little rain water in the gray tank. And, it would not be a security risk to leave open while away from the trailer. Does that seem reasonable?...I'm still on the fence about the Window/Maxx covers.

Herm, keeping the bathroom window open in a rain is a great idea, as long as you keep the bathroom door open a little. The bathroom is a wet area anyway, and rain would not hurt a thing if it enters that area.

Do you know if they have started production of your trailer? I haven't spoken with Robert since a week ago Monday, but I've received a couple of emails from him that were responding to mine.

I am having second thoughts about installing the window covers on my Oliver. The trailer looks so clean and bright I don't want to distract from it's lines with these. I ordered them before I knew about the rear window opening from the bottom and before I thought about opening the window in the bathroom to vent the trailer. I'll probably take them back to Camping World in Nashville, after I pick up my trailer. However, I do want the side rear windows to open by pushing them from front to back, rather than back to front. They should be more convenient to open and close if they are installed that way.

Doug

Doug, I'm not sure if mine is actually in production yet, but I did sign off on the invoice last Thursday. I briefly talked to Robert yesterday, mainly because I still haven't made selections on awning color, flooring, and fabric.

Before I ask about flipping the rear windows around like you proposed, I'm hoping to do a little more investigation on whether this has ever been done before by other manufacturers and whether there might be any negative consequences in doing so. Even the photos on MaxxAir's website show the covers over the operable sash on the rear side of the window.

Herm, the only thing I can think of would be that if they are reversed, as I am suggesting, it might invite leaks, assuming the sliding half of the window slides inside the non-sliding half of the window, which it likely does. Robert should know, and won't let us make a mistake. That's his job, but Ill be pleased if you can find out, through your research, if this would create a problem for us. I'm guessing it will, and that we should not do it.

I'll take a closer look at the pictures, to see if I can tell. With the twin bed option, the rear half of the side rear windows will be easier to access. I suppose with the standard double bed configuration the windows have to be opened and closed while sitting on the bed.

Doug

• 8 months later...

Greetings,

I stopped by Camping World in New Braunfels and had them install the MAXX AIR II vent cover. Fantastic fan instructions said don't do it and I was going to return the one I got on sale but the technician at CW said that with the new vent cover's additional screened openings it wouldn't be a problem. I wanted this cover so that I can keep the roof vent opened a little bit for fresh air and to keep Revilo aired out and to not have to ever worry about the fan closing quick enough in case of an instant downpour. The fan won't open all the way but for myself I am ok with this since I will control the opening manually. I also installed this covering because I thought I would try it out without the extra expense of having the MaxxAir fan/vent put in since the other one is brand new. Time will tell whether I made the right decision for me. Thanks again for all the discussion on issues we all face as Oliver owners. Jam49

• Moderators

Jam49,

We've heard some great things about the new MaxAirs in combo with the Fantastic Fan on other forums. Looking forward to good reports from you, as well.

Happy travels.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Yes, that's it buddy. The fan cover will touch the inside of the model 800 as it nears it's widest open position. Never causes a problem. Just push the manual knob to stop the motor from running. The cover ends rain shut downs of the fantastic fan.

The vents at the back of the windows allow the fantastic fan to pull in fresh air in and keeps rain out.

Heavy rains moved through the area last week. During one of the rainstorms, I slowly continued to organize inside Revilo while dreaming of the first camping excursion with the grandkids. I loved having the vent open and not have to worry about rain coming in. I do not have any window coverings so that I can open the windows during rain. What seems to be right for me is not necessarily the solution for others. I so appreciate all the discussion on all the topics. Thanks to all my neighbors that are just a little further apart. jam49

If anyone is interest in a MaxAir vent cover, the big one, I have one available hear in Dade City, FL. Took it off our last camper and have decided not to use it on the Oliver. Still has the mounting hardware but no instructions. I do kind of recall how it mounts or maybe the instruction can be gotten from MaxAir. It's not going anywhere other than the attic so just send me a message if interested.

I just want to say that I am very happy with the MaxxFan (see link in first post) we had installed on our Oliver. I'm sure none of the current owners would want to replace their existing Fantastic fans, but the MaxxFAn is an all-in-one solution that works (and looks) great. The only problem I've noticed is that I need to provide a generous amount of air intake while running the fan at the lowest speed settting; othewise, I get an annoying reverberation (harmonic resonation?) noise. The largest drawback, as has been said earlier, is that it consumes a bit more power.

Herm