Need help on cleaning exterior window 'band' &

What should I use to clean the 'band' around the exterior windows? See pic for my definition of 'band'. Kinda hard to see the 'band' due to reflections in window.Hopefully, you'll understand. If not, let me know.

Also, what do you use to keep the white chaulk between the bathroom floor & wall white? No pic. :)

Thank you.

Gwenne R Causey

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

2017 GMC Sierra HD Crew Cab Diesel

ALARDEFLGAINLAMEMDMNMSMOMTNJNCNDOHPASCSD   Map of Provinces I Visitedimage.png.f8ebba1142570e619cdfe801998f4b4d.png

• Moderators

Gwenne -

Just the other day I was cleaning some tree sap off the fiberglass with plain old mineral spirits.  I tried some on a small spot of white caulk that was used to seal my windows and it worked wonderfully well with very little rubbing.  I had previously used Acetone but I was always afraid that this was simply too aggressive.  It looks to me from your pictures that you have a bit of mildew, so, I'm not sure if the mineral spirits will work.  But it is worth a try.  Good luck!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

For the white window trim this will work well.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Purpose-Adhesive-Cleaner/dp/B00Y957GWC/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GBSD3Q9M15NTS3BYYYC0

Buy it locally at an auto paint supply house and it may be as cheap as $15. This is great cleaner. It gets off tree sap and tar too.

You can scrub with a small brush (old toothbrush) or even a red Scotchbrite pad, plus the 3M cleaner, if there are stubborn stains.

Treat the vinyl with 303 Protectant or a coat of wax. Or Rejex.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I figured I might hear from you. :) I have enjoyed your posts & refer my husband to them frequently. Are you planning on making a "how-to" on grease packing of the bearings? Steve is planning on doing this in about a month. Also, I have downloaded your .xlsx. I am an info-holic so I am all over stuff like this.

Re the 3M product ---- do you have any idea if it would work on mildew? I should have stated this in my original post & topgun rightfully pointed this out. We live NC where it is quite humid. I looked at the 3M product page & it did not say anything about mildew. I did read that I can use white vinegar & water. This is my standard household cleaner & I did use it to remove the bulk of the mildew. I would really like to make the 'band' shiny white again, if that's possible. :)

Thank you for your time.

grc

ps: I saw your Amazon review for the 3M product. :)

• Thanks 1

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

ALARDEFLGAINLAMEMDMNMSMOMTNJNCNDOHPASCSD   Map of Provinces I Visitedimage.png.f8ebba1142570e619cdfe801998f4b4d.png

Thank you, topgun/Bill, for your response. I will try mineral spirits & see what happens. And, yes, you are correct -- it is mildew on this plasticy/vinyl strip. As I mentioned to John Davies, we live in NC where it is quite humid & we currently keep our camper outside & in the open. Someday we will have an inside space for it but I doubt if it will have have heating & air.

grc

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

I figured I might hear from you. ? I have enjoyed your posts & refer my husband to them frequently. Are you planning on making a “how-to” on grease packing of the bearings? Steve is planning on doing this in about a month.

Re the 3M product —- do you have any idea if it would work on mildew?

Thanks for the kind words. The Internet is overflowing with videos on how to pack trailer bearings. My only advice is to buy high quality seals (Timkin or SKS)  from a bearing supply house, not the cheap @#$&* Chinese ones from Pep Boys. He can thank me in a year when they don’t leak grease all over the brake linings....

What is this mildew? Oh, wait, I remember vaguely from when I lived in Seattle 15 years ago. I can’t help here.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

There's a product at the dollar stores called "awesome". In a clear  spray bottle, and quart refills. It's a yellow color, in the cleaning section at both dollar tree and dollar general. Walmart has a similar product, but I don't remember the name, and I sent it home with my sister yesterday  as it was so successful  at cleaning the mildew off her door...

Very good at removing mildew. Also removes the wax layers you've built up, so use a towel beneath to keep it from running down the side....

A little softscrub with lemon or bleach on an old toothbrush  can also work. Same caveat. Keep it off the  gelcoat.. and your wax. Rinse well when done.

Unlike John, we're in Florida and North Carolina,  and no strangers to mildew..... lol

?

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Ahhhhh, the tropics. We have the same mildew problem & haven't discovered the cure yet. A couple weeks ago our Ollie spent the weekend at the "spa," which was us finding the shadiest spot available at Sanlan RV Resort & washing & waxing our gal. The Duragloss products were a breeze to apply but nothing I applied to the white seals removed the mildew completely.                  Tried: Awesome, Simple Green, Greenworks, Mr Clean sponge, & Clorox Cleaner. Next time I was going to hit them with something abrasive or SnoBol but will also have some acetone on hand if that fails.

My question is, once I get them white again, I'm wondering if Captain Tolleys Miracle Crack Cure would seal them & prevent (or slow down) the mildew from returning.

Chris

• Thanks 1
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Moderators

I would suggest that the white band/seal be removed from the window and cleaned on your picnic table or outside work bench.  Then use any product you choose without any damage to the gelcoat.

I think a better idea would be to replace the white window seals with a black one like the back/exit window.  I recently requested information about that seal from Jason.  We will see if it is possible in the future.

• Thanks 4

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

I recently cleaned the window seals by removing them and soaking in a bowl with white vinegar and water. There were a few stubborn spots so I quickly dipped the seal in a dilution of water and bleach, rinsed well and let the seal dry before reinstalling. Mine looked like your pictures(or worse!) and now look like new!

Wow, thanks ---- I am quite skittish about removing anything on the Oliver. :)  How did you remove & then replace?

How about folks that have pre-2017 Oliver's, what have you done to keep the outdoor window seals mildew free? Aside from living in a mildew-free area. lol

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

• Moderators

I do a a thorough cleaning after each trip. When we got back from CO and NM in June I pulled the outside seals to all the windows to clean but also to ensure the window tracks and drainage holes are clear. An air compressor is handy for blowing out debris that accumulates when camped under trees. The seals are easy to remove and put back in. I’m also a believer in 303 protectant. Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS