Another future Oliver owner looking for advise

herm

We just 'bit the bullet' last week, and are planning a late September pick-up of an Elite(much like DougI). Thanks to all who have contributed their expertise on this board. I am currently in the midst of trying to figure out what options to add/delete, and I thought I'd share where I'm at so far:

-delete SAT antenna

-add double-pane windows

-add alum. spare wheel

-add gas quick-connect

-add A/C thermostat (though I'm wondering how the unit operates w/o one)

-probably replace Dometic frig with larger Norcold frig

-probably upgrade A/V & TV to AWM970 & JE1907DC (though I'm still not sure if that's good enough)

-possibly add a 2" receiver for cargo carrier or bike rack (though I'm not sure if that's feasible given the bumper design)

-possibly make it solar ready (wiring only?), since the roof space is there (though I have no intention of installing panels/controllers at the present time)

If you think I'm overlooking something, please chime in. I should point out that most of our use will be at campgrounds with electricity, but I'd like to think we'll be more adventurous in the future...hence the decision to go with an Oliver.

I have a gas quick connect on my 5th wheel and I've never used it. Why?

Because you are limited as to where you can use your propane appliance by the length of your hose. I simply have a light and small propane tank like this one (take a look, it's GREAT):

http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/produc ... m/pid/3587

Air conditioners come with thermostats on them, so you don't have to have the optional one from Oliver. The one they sell also controls the furnace and is mounted near the bed so you don't have to get up to change the settings on your A/C or your furnace. It is strictly a convenience and is not necessary. I opted for one, simply so I would not have to get out of bed to adjust the furnace or the AC if I was too hot or cold. I'm getting spoiled in my old age.

I was thinking the gas connection would be handy for fueling a portable BBQ or possibly a propane-converted generator some day. I was just trying to avoid buying those 1 lb. disposable bottles, but I suppose your idea is also a good solution. I like the idea of using composite LP cylinders too, including the ones on the trailer.

Based on what you're saying, I'm not sure I'll get the add'l A/C thermostat. I thought it was a necessary item, and I have no problem using the controls on the unit. But, if it also controls the furnace (which I wasn't aware of), then maybe it's not such a bad idea. I guess I'll have to think about that one.

• Moderators

Herm,

Congratulations on biting the bullet and ordering an Elite. You'll LOVE it :D

The Wonder Egg has the 9200 BTU Coleman Polar Cub A/C. I have two wall mounted thermostats located on the wall to the left of the galley. One for the furnace, and the other fot the A/C unit which also controls the heat strips on the A/C. They both work very well. If your A/C would have unit mounted controls, I'm sure there'd be a thermostatic control, but I'm not sure the fan would quit once the desired temp was reached, if you wanted to set it in that mode. (If anyond knows different, please chime in)

Have you considered adding additonal 12V outlets for convenience? I have 3 extra and have used them all at times.

Another option I find handy is the aluminum basket mounted in front electric jack. Ive'd used it for carrying a generator or strapping down some pre-cut, split firewood.

Welcome to the Oliver family. :lol:

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Herm, I think the propane quick connect would be great for a propane fired generator and that in itself would justify the option.

However, I doubt you will use if much for a BBQ grill, due to the limitations of where you can put your grill (within range of your hose). You will want to put that grill on a camp site picnic table and your hose will likely not reach. Make sure your grill will run off the propane pressure that will be at your quick connect outlet.

Good luck. I think we will like our new trailers.

Herm, I understand the Solar option includes a controller and a monitor of some kind. I would sure let them install the solar controller while they are doing the wiring. It should be cheaper that way. If the monitor is a good one, I'd let them put that in as well while they are doing the wiring. Ask Robert, as the sales reps may be newbies and don't know the details.

All my e-mails (about options and mods) to Michelle Sisco have been turned over to Robert, but we have not talked or communicated just yet. Robert has been ill and apparently just returned to work. I'm sure he must be swamped with questions only he can answer.

Bugeye, thanks for your suggestions. I'll have to ask the factory if there are add'l features/functions available only with the accessory thermostat. That would likely be the deciding factor. Regarding the tongue basket, I'm not too crazy about the idea of putting a lot of extra weight over the tongue, especially since nobody seems to be using weight-distributing hitches with these trailers. Alternatively, I'll probably just throw the generator in the TV and transport firewood and other items too filthy to put inside the Oliver on a cargo carrier at rear of the trailer, assuming the factory can provide a 2" receiver back there. Regarding 12V outlets, the new brochure states that the Elite comes with (3) of them, so I'm guessing that will suffice. However, I have yet to determine exactly where they are located, as well as the placement of the (4) 120V outlets. I'll be ironing out those details in the coming weeks, I'm sure.

Doug, thanks for the heads up on the solar option. If this means installing equipment now, I'm probably going to pass on this idea. I simply don't think I'll be able to get myself up to speed on the technology fast enough to make the right decisions. As long as I can run wire between the 2 fiberglass shells at a later time, I'm probably not going to bother with this right now. Coincidentally, I've also been working with Michelle, and she has also forwarded some of my questions to Robert. Your point is well taken that he is probably swamped with catching up from his absense, so I'm not going to push things. The anticipation is the most exciting part anyway, right?

However, I doubt you will use if much for a BBQ grill, due to the limitations of where you can put your grill (within range of your hose). You will want to put that grill on a camp site picnic table and your hose will likely not reach.

Extensions are readily available - I have one that's 12' long that was bought at Camping World but I'm guessing that you could have just about any length made custom by your local propane distributor. I have a free-standing grill so placement isn't all that critical. The only trick as mentioned earlier is to make sure that your auxiliary device (grill, etc.) has the proper regulator and fittings.

I've had the additional propane outlet on two of my past rigs but there isn't one on my current rig and I miss it. I don't like carrying around the little bottles so I've been connecting directly to the 30# bottle each time I use the grill. This is a real pain, so I'm probably having a permanent connection added this winter.

The bottom line is that things like the extra propane connection or the solar prep wiring are EASY to do at the factory when everything's just being assembled but are HARD and sometimes impossible to do later on. Even if you don't think that you might use these things you should get them either just in case you eventually want them or for re-sale purposes - there's no need to give the next guy a reason to not buy your rig.

Good luck,

Stuart

Herm,

Congratulations on biting the bullet and ordering an Elite. You'll LOVE it
:D

The Wonder Egg has the 9200 BTU Coleman Polar Cub A/C. I have two wall mounted thermostats located on the wall to the left of the galley. One for the furnace, and the other fot the A/C unit which also controls the heat strips on the A/C. They both work very well. If your A/C would have unit mounted controls, I'm sure there'd be a thermostatic control, but I'm not sure the fan would quit once the desired temp was reached, if you wanted to set it in that mode. (If anyond knows different, please chime in)

Have you considered adding additonal 12V outlets for convenience? I have 3 extra and have used them all at times.

Another option I find handy is the aluminum basket mounted in front electric jack. Ive'd used it for carrying a generator or strapping down some pre-cut, split firewood.

Welcome to the Oliver family.
:lol:

• Moderator+

Stuart,

The terminating end of the gas line that runs down the centerline of the under-belly of the Oliver is a plug. You could easily remove this and run your own gas line to any place you wanted.

The company has made it easy to modify their product to any degree of customization you might desire.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Stuart,

The terminating end of the gas line that runs down the centerline of the under-belly of the Oliver is a plug. You could easily remove this and run your own gas line to any place you wanted.

The company has made it easy to modify their product to any degree of customization you might desire.

That's good to hear but I would still have the factory do it so that it would be covered under warranty. I'd also want to have the rig as close to turnkey as possible at the time of delivery ... if I were building a rig to my specifications and were to pay the rapidly inflating price for the Oliver I really wouldn't want to make any mods any time soon!

If I could go back to the statement about gas pressure, shouldn't the quick-connect be designed to delivery full, unregulated tank pressure? Doesn't every appliance (whether BBQ, generator, whatever) typically have it's own regulator to step the pressure down to what it needs? Or, is it more complicated than that?

• Moderators

Herm,

Yes, as you were saying, the quick disconnect delivers full pressure. We carry a little aluminum folding table from Walmart ($15 or so) to set up our portable grill. I think the quick connect is a nice feature to have, and no extra little bottles to tote around. We added a couple 12 volt outlets to the interior for cell phone charging, etc. But we've had our trailer awhile, and I think perhaps more 12v outlets are standard now. Wish we had a solar set up, but perhaps someday.... We carry a little Honda 1000 for charging up the batteries. We rarely use the A/C, so that works fine for us, and it's very light and very quiet.

I know you're going to love your Oliver. We have enjoyed ours so much this year... Our latest trip has taken us 3000 miles so far, staying in state and national parks with limited facilities... but we're well equipped for it with the Oliver.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Yes, as you were saying, the quick disconnect delivers full pressure.

So does this mean that it's tapped off the propane tanks before the main regulator / changeover assembly? This would be rather unusual based on other approaches that I've seen ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Stuart...

Our gas connection for the BBQ grill comes off via a tee connection located just before the gas regulator/changeover valve assy on one of the propane tanks and goes directly to the quick disconnect that we have located in the rear fender storage area. Unless Scubarx 's Oliver was plumbed differently than ours, I believe that the plugged connection that he mentioned, will only supply propane gas at a reduced pressure, which is normally too low to be used for a BBQ grill. We utilize a a 10-12' hose to connect our grill to the quick disconnect fitting.

One item that I'd like to add to ours, is a a manual isolation valve at the quick disconnect fitting. Currently, whenever I disconnect the hose, theres quite a bit of gas/pressure still contained up in the 10-12' hose section. If there was an isolation valve at the quick disconnect, I could close it and then slowly release the pressure thru the regulator valve located on the grill, eliminating the high pressure release of the gas that is still contained in the hose.

Paul

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

Paul,

I'm sure you're correct about the gas line on the Olivers. I didn't think about the fact that everything downline of the regulator would be at a reduced pressure. I actually didn't realize that the BBQ grills needed a higher pressure.

Thanks for your input, I stand corrected.

Steve

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg