New Baby on the way

mountainborn

• Moderators

Just placed an order for a new Oliver ? Maybe you have recieved a delivery date ? Or, maybe you are just curious as to how they are built ? Robert Partee, Sales manager at the Oliver factory in Hohenwald Tennessee has an online album of photos he is starting to put togather. It starts out with the basic materials, shows molds, laying up layers, ect, ect..

Forums member BugEyeDriver's new baby is just starting it's formation process. Here is the first photo in the album, there will be regular updates: ( link to full album is posted below )

MarksTrailer004.jpg

Let's peek over the factory's shoulders as the new baby grows. Here is the album link:

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 20Trailer/

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We ordered an Elite last Friday, Feb 1. We visited the plant on Thursday afternoon and again on Friday. All that has been said proved true about a visit there. Robert Pardee spent an inordinate amount of time with us. Each worker was courteous and patient, and fun to visit with. We visited with Jim Oliver who was most interested in any questions or suggestions. Also met other Olivers here and there. We were given a 6-8 week time frame.

Tom Whaley

Lexington VA

• Moderators

Thanks, mountainborne, bugeyedriver here . . . been meaning to post a proud-papa pic since Robert infomed me of this forum. The one you show is the first in a cool series of production photos he is documunting for me while "The Wonder-Egg" is in production This will be a great quality validation to watch as a quality production line builds my Egg with some unique requests.

Here are my additional requests that I asked Jim Oliver and the ever-so-capable Robert Partee if they could add:

1 - Two 30lb tanks

2 - Add swivel reading lamp under overhead cabinet between bed and dinette

3 - Direct Connect generator package

4 - Wall mounted thermostatic control unit

5 - Personalized mural and tire cover graphics

6 - Add 3 more 12v outlets

7 - Add interior egress handle (they have incorporated this as a standard)

8 - Relocation of rear plate and light so as not to interfere with graphics

9 - Ham Radio cable ready

10 - Generator rack with locking pin

11 - "SunRunner AM 100-22B" solar system with 45 degree tilting mounts (6ah capable)

12 - Cell phone signal amplification system

All i've ever heard them say has been "Why, SURE! Anything else?

To JIM and Robert and the production crew, all I can say is thanks for making this dream come true.

Sincerely,

Pete

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

As I look at bugeydriver's list, I'm really impressed at the level of customization that the factory is willing to take on. I know one of the persistent themes on the "other" forums has been the inability of the other factory's to listen to input from customers. In addition to the significant enhancements to the FG design that is resident within an Oliver, I just can't help but think their willingness to adapt and customize will surely bring a comensurate customer base.

Now -- how about a design that will sleep 4? Like maybe a way to add a bunk above the side dinette when it's rigged as a bed.

• Moderators

[attachment=0]Wonder-Egg top-outter shell.jpg[/attachment]

Well, here's the Wonder-Egg's top outter skin. I think she will be pulled out of line as they await the arrival of the solar panel and cell phone repeater 's external antenna. Then they wil spread it all out on top and take exact measurements before cutting the holes. It calls for moving the a/c and vent further aft than normal.

This is like watching all those cool pictures we got to view during our granddaughter's gestaion . . but now we can still call up the "creator" and tweak the design. (just kidding, Robert, I won't do that to you. But on the other hand . . . heh,heh,heh)

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

As you mentioned we are waiting for the solar panel to do a dry run for fit and placement. As you can imagine we want to measure twice (if not 3 or 4 times) and cut ONLY once. :D Right!

Anyway, as soon as that arrives everything else is in and ready. We all here at the plant are eager to get rolling on this unit. So many features, we love a challenge and this is the best one yet to come our way. We just hope the government doesn't get wind of this project and commandeer it for "National Security" purposes...lol... :o

Then the photo progression can resume.

Stay tuned folks, this one will be very informative and fun to watch being built!

Maybe the "expectant papa" will let us in on his schedule of "Egg Rallies" for those that want to see it in person.

• Moderators

Robert et al . . . expectant daddy here,

Well at this time, I look forward to meeting other Eggers at the 2008 Bluebonnet Casita Rally in Bandera, Apr 2-4 at the Skyline RV Ranch. I want to join the group of people who enjoy getting pleasure in all of the smaller things in life and have these awesome FG shells that happilly follow along as they visit and ponder the majesty of the large beautiful wonders they ecncounter along the way.

You'll recognize me as the clueless newbie who asks such profound questions as "Now that I have my solar oven, where do I find a store that sells an extension cord long enough to reach that high?" I'll be traveling with my 13lb fuzzball, Oscar. See you there.

Pete

• Moderators

The solar panel has arrived! See it at: http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 20Trailer/

and a a special bonus feature, yuo get to see ROBERT's fuzzie mugshot! woohooo!

Here are my additional requests that I asked Jim Oliver and the ever-so-capable Robert Partee if they could add:

12 - Cell phone signal amplification system

Wow, Chuck needs to know that this is an option in the Oliver! He mentioned today that he was starting to look for something to amplify his phone and wifi !

• Moderators

Hi Chuck, . . .bugeyedriver here. The cell phone signal amplification system I've asked to have installed in my trailer can be found at: http://www.powerfulsignal.com/Gov/Wilso ... enter.html

It will sniff out tiny cell phone signals on 800 or 1900 MHz and amplify it up to 3 watts in the trailer area. I talked with a technician at Powerful Signals who happens to own a Casita and is aware of the space available. I also touched base with a radio electrical engineer about the potential antenna oscillation problem. The fix will be squares of aliminum foil between the fiberglass shells above the interior antenna and below the topside antenna.

Oliver Travel Trailers has gone along with my desires and will install the system as requested. (ya gotta luv 'em!) I'm willing to take the risk that it will work as anticipated. I'll be sure to report back and let everyone know how it functions. It will require me to head out on the backroads where I recieve no cell phone the normal way and "fire-up" the system.

I realize this is not likely to work a million miles from anywhere in the middle of a bowl of mountains. You have to have some tiny bit of a signal to amplify, after all. However I anticipate it will greatly improve my coverage while out and about.

Pete

:roll: Hi Pete!! Thanx for info and linK!! Robert not sure they can do it as my top shell is already on but we'll talk Monday by landline. My Casita just sold so I'm eggless and it's my neighbors who seem to be missing it....found out they use it as a point of referance...3 houses from the eggy trailer!!!

Chuck 8-)

• Moderators

Seven more 1st trimester photographs of the "Wonder-Egg" have been posted! (Thanks, Robert) It looks like some top outer shell action with holes cut and a few lower outer shell pictures showing the more or less naked shell and a more developed stage with holding tanks, plumbing, and some of the wiring showing up in view. Lots of fun seeing the early developmental process rolling right along! GO-BABY-GO!

• Moderators

So THATS how they do it! I've been wondering about the beautifully formed storage compartments found in the Oliver. Now I see all they do is take some super-duper heated plastic, strap it on a frame, latch it to the mother-of-all-suction-machines and throw the switch. POOF! Instantly formed cargo holds . . . whooda thunk it?

'See more at: http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 20Trailer/

• Moderators

7 more pics have been posted on the "Wonder Egg's" production!!!!!

You can see the cell phone repeater topside antenna; cool pictures of the inner top (or the "yolk" of the egg) notice again, some of the dark sprayed on lizard skin insulation; a few pics of the Charge Controller for the 100w solar system, showing its size relative to a yellow legal pad.

You can see them at:

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... mview=grid

Congratulations on the new one! When I talked to Robert some time ago, I was told there was going to be an optional back-up camera. Is that a feature that you are contemplating? As a solo (and still looking), I've found it very handy on my Sienna. I wonder if anyone has asked about sonar as well. It could save some crinks.

• Moderators

sacsun,

As another solo traveler, I've been wondering about that very thing the last few days. I've decided to go with the "Swift Hitch" (http://trailertoys.com/swhibasaca.html) and figure I could use it to assist me both day & night with TV/RV hookup and tight spot RV backing.

They are a bit proud of their product and it's pricey but being new to the RV world I figure I can use all the help I can get!

While "technically" I'm not solo, and I could position Oscar out back a bit with some instructions, it still wouldn't help 'cause he doesn't bark unless he's fussing at a raccoon.

• Moderators

2 more photos are up! What you are looking at is the inner top fiberglass shell with some aluminum-foil shielding for the cell phone amplifier antennas. (And no... I do NOT wear a tinfoil hat!!!)

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... mview=grid

• Moderators

Pete, tell me again about the tin foil and what it does for your cellular telephone repeater set up. I remember you posted something about it earlier, seems like. Does it help with the amount of gain the antenna gives ?

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

mountainborn,

Here's my understanding on the need for the "tin-foil"

The antenna on the front rooftop will receive a very weak signal on 800 or 1900 Mhz. send it to the amplifier which will boost the weak signal to 3 watts (max allowed) and this stronger signal will then be retransmitted from an inverted cone antenna mounted under the rear storage cabinet in the "street side" corner. I then sit inside (or outside for that matter) with a strong 4 bar signal.

If the retransmitted, boosted signal is picked up by the topside antenna, we get into the situation where it oscillates. That is; "the amplified signal provided by the amplifier/repeater to one antenna for rebroadcast would likely be picked up by the other antenna and fed back into the amplifier input, where it would be further amplified, etc. The amplifier/repeater unit would quickly be overloaded with its own signal and would cease working for its intended operation."

So . . . the aluminum foil is a shield that prevent that problem. The idea for the shield came from one of the technicians with the cell phone repeater company who happens to be a Casita owner, so he was aware if the trailer dimensions we are dealing with in the Oliver.

sacsun,

As another solo traveler, I've been wondering about that very thing the last few days. I've decided to go with the "Swift Hitch" (
) and figure I could use it to assist me both day & night with TV/RV hookup and tight spot RV backing.

They are a bit proud of their product and it's pricey but being new to the RV world I figure I can use all the help I can get!

While "technically" I'm not solo, and I could position Oscar out back a bit with some instructions, it still wouldn't help 'cause he doesn't bark unless he's fussing at a raccoon.

Thanks for the info. Do you think that the "Swift Hitch " will work at the back of "Oscar"? I will be interested in your findings.

My "Wolf" is not much of a spotter either. :)

• Moderators

sacsun,

I've tested the range of the transmitter / receiver and have solid contact at at 75'! If it transmits through the Wonder Egg, I may mount a metal washer on either end of the bumper and on top of the spare tire cover to attach the magnetic mounted camera.

More pictures have materialized on the photobucket album:

- a shot of the interior front of the outer shell showing the extra support for the antenna and the front solar panel mounts. You can also see they've affixed the antenna cable securely as it works its way back . . .

- the coolest fabricated antenna bracket ever . . . strong and angled perfectly for a vertical receiver / transmitter antenna to the cell phone signal amplifier

- 2 pics of a modification to the upper rear superstructure. This "bump" is to level my a/c. Because I've asked Oliver to add the cell phone antenna and 100w solar panel on top of the trailer, they had to move back the air vent and the a/c, placing the rear of the a/c over a downslope. The bump overcomes the downslope and supports the aft placement of my a/c unit.

- 2 pics of an a/c unit on an Oliver without the modified bump, for contrast.

About my a/c, I've asked Oliver not to put the strong Duo-Therm unit on . . . instead, I am requesting the Coleman Polar Cub. I've asked for this so I could run the a/c with a Honda EU200I and for a longer compressor run time to facilitate removal of moisture from the trailer.

During my last conversation with Robert, he mentioned a modification I believe tumbleweed has on his trailer . . . a propane quick connect mounted near the curbside of the bumper run from the front tanks for use on a portable gas grill. Well, I couldn't help myself and asked if he could incorporate it on my Wonder Egg and Robert uttered those familiar words: "Why SURE!"

Pickup date is now slated for 24 March, still in time to get it back to Texas for the Bluebonnet Rally. It'll also give my badly busted elbow time to heal (trees, ladders, and chain-saws just don't mix well - but that's a story for another time :o )

Hi Pete,

I got the generator quick connect on "Ollie" and my Honda 2000 already converted to propane so will tap tanks direct when I get my gen tongue mount. Glad Robert talked me into the furnace as we used it in Tenn and is quieter than the Casita! Still gonna keep the

the Little Buddy Catalytic heater for boondocking.

Chuck