Waste hose suggestion for new RVers

Townesw

I can’t remember if this has been brought up before but here goes:

From first hand experience, the best practice is to connect one capped waste hose to the drain pipe in the bumper and leave it connected. Both waste valves are a good distance from the cap on the end of the drain pipe in the bumper. If black or grey water leaks past the waste valves you will know it when you pull the hose out of the bumper instead of when you uncap the drain pipe. You can then put one of these

7C49180B-85DB-4139-9636-5934AEE1248A.thumb.jpeg.ca4df1f61140cd1ee3b60bd6c14e5d66.jpeg

on the end of the hose by raising the capped end up, then add your extra hose downstream of the twist on valve. This will give you a way to release what has leaked past the waste valve without creating a mess. Even if you try to add the extra hose on after detecting fluid in the first hose, you risk creating a mess when you eventually have to lower the end of the hose to place it on the sewer connection on the ground. I now carry a twist on valve for this reason.

Bill

• Thanks 3

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

We have one 10' Rhinoflex connected with a regular straight cap, no need for the extra valve for us because as soon as you raise the hose, if it has something in it, it stays down below bumper level.

We used to run a 15' piece but found that the 10' section works for 90% of the dumps that we do in state parks.

Reed

• Thanks 3

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

I have recent firsthand experience at this,  as we just fixed a leak at the black tank valve today! We keep the waste hose hooked in, as suggested above, and are now so glad we did, as it made dealing with the leak so much easier. Our experience is like Reed’s - there was clearly liquid in the hose, but we were able to hold it upright, open the end, and put the 90 degree attachment in place, and place it in the sewer opening without any problem with liquid coming out before we were ready. We’ve done it three times now with no problem. Hopefully won’t have to be doing it again -fingers crossed that the leak is fixed, as it really stinks up the bumper area!

• Thanks 2

Alison, Ross & Annika

Hull No. 310

With a composting toilet, this is not a worry. A little drip of leaking gray water or some of it splashing on your hands is simply not a big deal. Especially in the West where it is acceptable to dump it on the ground, in many places.

Just some more promoting the Natures Head. ;)

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The composting toilet is first on my 2019 build sheet, for this very reason. After watching YouTube about managing the Natures Head has convinced me the benefits outweigh the traditional system, at least hopefully for me. If I change my mind later, the black tank is installed and waiting for a switchover which, my understanding, is not too difficult. Would be interested hearing those that use the composting toilet and found it a good investment.

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

The composting toilet is first on my 2019 build sheet, for this very reason. After watching YouTube about managing the Natures Head has convinced me the benefits outweigh the traditional system, at least hopefully for me. If I change my mind later, the black tank is installed and waiting for a switchover which, my understanding, is not too difficult. Would be interested hearing those that use the composting toilet and found it a good investment.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/natures-head-composting-toilet-installation-in-an-oliver-big-thread/

John Davies

Spoakne WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.