Pulling the Trigger on a Ram 1500

RodgerS

A bit of humor this morning...

I am in the process of pulling the trigger on a 2019 Ram 1500 truck, but it will likely take a few months before I take delivery as my local dealers are receiving their 2019s without the Ram Box and I want a Ram Box, darn it. I have chosen this truck primarily because of the comfortable ride of the truck, roomy backseat for my 100 pound Boxer dog, 360 degree visual, and active safety features.

I was contemplating buying a Volvo D13 heavy hauler to pull an Oliver, an Airstream trailer, a Sprinter van, an off-road trailer, a pop-up camper, a 45 foot diesel motorhome, etc. But decided I want a trailer I can roll off a cliff and still heat hot water in the next day, and I get to argue whether or not I bought enough truck.

I considered a recent Youtube post by "Big Truck Big RV" of his maximum matching of a Chevy Colorado z71 to an Apex Nano...Youtube video "2018 Chevy Colorado z71 Duramax! Full Review!!" And considered a match in an article published on the Oliver website between, as I recall, a Toyota Tacoma and an Oliver II. I had to do the numbers myself as these two authors seem to like to float their opinions and make me do their research so I can understand their opinions.

Truck numbers rounded down and Trailer numbers rounded up to the nearest 100 because it pleases me.

The following numbers are absolute, do not vary, are perfect, and unchallengeable because they we done by me and I know-it-all.

Chevy Colorado z71 diesel 7,000 tr/1,200 pc matched to an Apex Nano 21 ft, single axle 3,800 GVW, hitch 400 lbs.

2019 Ram 1500 11,300/1,800 matched to an Oliver single axle, 5000 GVW, hitch 400 or Oliver double axle 7,000 and 500.

I didn't bother with a Colorado or Tacoma, because my dog said NO.

2019 Ram 1500 11,300/1,800 matched to an Oliver single axle, 5000 GVW, hitch 400 or Oliver double axle 7,000 and 500.

Just FYI, the OLEII will have a higher tongue weight, depending on your options and where you carry stuff outside the trailer. Mine is 6000 approximately/ 620 with three jerry cans empty, 720 with them full. All cans are strapped to the factory storage tray.

The folks with 500 tongue weight have a lighter spec and don't carry stuff in front.

Now for the most IMPORTANT thing, what color is your new truck? White is best.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I agree that a white truck should be the best in practice. However, a light grey is not bad.

It also goes that a white Oliver should be the best in practice.

Thanks for the additional weight thoughts as I am likely to carry some extra water in jerry cans.

Bay Area, California (Wine Country)

• Moderators

Don't forget that many 1/2 ton trucks require a weight distribution hitch when tongue weight gets to 500 pounds regardless of what the towing capacity is rated.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks Bill, I'm planning on using a weight distribution hitch.

You are right Mainiac. I'm not sure any color truck would be easy to see in the fog or in a snow storm, ...mostly good traction, fog lights, and simply staying off the road as much as possible is the best plan from my perspective, regardless of color.

Planning accordingly, I would prefer the Volvo D13 (375-500 HP, 1450-1850 LB-FT.)  if forced to drive in the fog or in a snow storm...whatever the color.

Also to consider, a black truck is hard to see at night or in a deep ditch, a red truck is hard to see when there is a fire in the woods and hard to hide from the cops when testing its high speed capabilities, a green truck is hard to see in a green field and in the woods, a brown truck is hard to see at a lumber mill, in dry fields and the desert, and woods, and a blue truck is hard to see when driving across the sand at the beach. For camouflage, a green and brown combo would be helpful for hiding in the woods. To hide in a field of cows a black and white truck might work, but I'm not sure I want someone trying to milk my truck.

Color is a tough choice.