Hurricane Florence

Mike and Carol

• Moderators

Looks like Florence is going to be a major storm event! Best wishes to fellow owners in North and South Carolina, Virginia and the east coast in general. Also, it looks like more storms are following. Stay safe! Mike

• Thanks 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

After a week camping at Huntington Beach State Park - just south of Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, a Park Ranger advised us yesterday morning that possible evacuations could occur.  Once again at about 4 pm, Park Rangers came to us and advised that mandatory evacuations would be effective as of noon today (Tuesday).  Between the two warnings approximately 85% of our fellow campers packed up and left.  After a very peaceful evening in an all but empty campground we got up at 5:30 this morning and hit the road hoping to get ahead of what surely was going to be bumper to bumper traffic.  Well, while the traffic was certainly heavier than normal it was not even close to really bad.  What would normally be a 6 1/2 hour drive actually took us right at 6 3/4 hours.

As we left, there was light surf and a light breeze with a gorgeous sunrise.  Certainly made it hard to believe that a "monster" storm was bearing down upon that area.  I happened to look at my GPS's elevation reading just after we crossed the Intercoastal Waterway and it read 3 feet above sea level.  With a storm surge forecast to be as much as 20 feet I realized that much of what I was looking at would/could be under water in about 48 hours.  While I'm glad that I don't have to contend with this kind of Mother Nature's fury, I do feel for those that do and am in awe of all of it.

P1020013.thumb.jpg.edf7a14ded7dc3398071f9a9e9520fe6.jpg

Humans are not the only ones that appreciate an Oliver!

P1020016.thumb.jpg.507dcc0856f4ea6b310cf366a371f567.jpg

Be a bit careful where you step!

P1020005.thumb.jpg.ee3fdac5aa768ec07cf1bd6ebc48297f.jpg

"Spooning" spoon bills

P1010977.thumb.jpg.69ce2ce07c9f8cecb6189bb12c78c42e.jpg

Intercoastal waterway on Monday (9-10-18) evening.

• Thanks 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

A year ago, we saw the sun come up on a huge mess left by Irma. Grateful to be safe, even though we knew we had a lit of cleanup, and no power  likely for a week or more...

I wish our northern friends good luck and safe travels.  Leave as soon as you can, and stay safe. Florence may be uglier than Irma.

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We just got back home on Monday from a week or so camping trip in the North Myrtle Beach, SC area.  Our plans were to stay another week or two, since we were only 300 yards from the ocean it was not a place I wanted to be in a hurricane.  When we left Monday morning there were others that we leaving, but there was still over a 1,000 trailers in the camp ground.  We knew when the orders came down that everyone must leave in would be a slow process of just getting out of the camp ground.  The traffic was not to bad all the way to Chesapeake, Virginia; we had to stop once for gas and there were fairly long lines for gas.

Yesterday and today we are getting thing ready for the storms arrival.  Good luck to all of us here on the east coast.

• Thanks 1

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

We were camping south of Denver CO Tuesday night. After watching National Hurricane Center's Florence Forecast, decided to start driving back home to NC Wednesday. Just arrived home a few minutes ago on Friday.  Towed Ollie 720 miles Thursday from Kansas to Tennessee. Ollie tows like a dream!!!!!

Stopped at a TN rest area today and a Cajun Ollie pulled in on our left.  :)

i-nnJMMJp-M.jpg

• Thanks 5

2015 LE2