Seat Cushions

bugz

Hi everyone. This is the first trailer we have ever owned so a ton of things are totally new to us. What do you experienced RVrs do about keeping the seat cushions on the benches? They seem to want to slide out from under us while we are sitting on them. I am sure there is a simple answer but I can't figure it out :)

• Moderators

Bugz, we tow with a Jeep also, and when we stop, sometimes the cushions are in the floor. Butcherknife seizes the opportunity to admonish me about my Wild driving. :roll:

Thanks for the input. I may be able to convince her that it is just a naturaly occouring phenomenom that has nothing to do with my advanced driving skills. :P It took years to polish those skills to the present level of sophistication and I was worried that I might have to tone it down a bit. :cry:

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

I have a Casita, not an Oliver, but apparently it had the same slippery cushion problem! The previous owner solved it by putting velcro on the cushions under the seat and on the back wall where the back rest cushions belong. She did both the small dinette area and large dinette area that way and I have inherited no problems of cushion slippage!

I had considered velcro but then I wouldn't be able to flip over the cushions if one side gets worn or stained. I was thinking perhaps i could place under the cushion a rubber bath mat or maybe the rubber mesh stuff they sell to keep a carpet from creeping as it is walked on but I wasn't sure about any of those. I don't mind them falling on the floor as we drive but they slip off when we are actually sitting on them.

The rubber rug stuff is a good idea. I have successfully used it under cushions on my slip-covered furniture. Also, if the cushions were not going to be turned on a regular basis, the velcro attached to the cushion could be "tacked" on. That is, sewing a single stitch periodically along the velcro, every 2"-3", just to keep it in place. Subsequently, it would be easily removed and put on the other side.

• Moderators

Hi, Bugz,

Nice to have you on the board. Congratulations on your new Oliver... we hope you love it as much as we love ours!!

Sherry n Paul

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I have a Casita, not an Oliver, but apparently it had the same slippery cushion problem!

Hi, Geri,

I'm personally so glad you have found the board. It's really great for a lot of us to have another insight, from a different brand. We all share a lot of the same problems, and the same joys, in owning a fiberglass camper.

I looked at some of your photos on your website. You have an amazing talent with a camera!!!! My favorites (so far) are the vegetable stand and the nymph done with infrared film... Can't wait to meet you!

We wanted to spend a few days in the panhandle on the way home from Tennessee, but it didn't work out due to family/personal stuff... Still looking forward to a trip to NW Florida.

Sherry

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We ended up purchasing some of the rubber stuff for rugs and it worked amazingly well. I highly recommend it as a quick and easy fix. It might even keep those cushions on your seats mountainborn :D

• Moderators

Hey bugz,

My daughter saw an Oliver westbound on I-10 between

Houston & San Antonio today . . . could that have been you?

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

bugeyedriver,

That wasn't us you saw as we are a bit further west in Arizona. We took our trailer to Hackberry off old route 66. It's fairly close to home but now that we have a portable home we hope to go and see a lot more of our country.

We started with a 5x8 sheet of the stuff and just cut large squares of it for the smaller seating area and long rectangles for the larger seating area. They don't fit under the cushions exactly but they are large enough to hold the cushions in place.

Brought some pieces of the rubber stuff along on our trip to pickup Ollie and it worked great. :D Cushions stayed on well in some nasty rock n roll winds and winding country roads. Probably gonna' keep bed set up as this worked well in my Casita. Have a nice long rolling tub for storage that fits nicely under bed.

Chuck 8-)