Looking for a secure way to block the windows part way open ...

John E Davies

For those times when I leave the trailer but want to keep some ventilation flowing.

IMG_7159.thumb.jpg.4ca8d5e5fe597e0165f8385cf751df2b.jpg

I thought about a piece of round steel bar lying in the window track, but the end of the slot curves up and I think a hard push on the window would launch it clean out of there. Any ideas? I prefer No Drill, but that would be an option. I think most residential add-on window locks are a joke, but maybe there is one I haven!t seen that would work here....

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I think the existing window stop would prevent anything you put in the track from reaching the curved corner.

True, but it is not a very strong anchor point. It is intended to stop a slow lightweight window under normal operation, not one that is being forced open hard by an intruder. It might work, but I would worry about it.... maybe you could beef it up by screwing a section of aluminum bar into the track behind the stop, with two or three extra screws.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Go longer, measure the rod from bottom corner of window to top corner, so it sits at an angle, this way it only slides down when the window is closed. The rod doesn't need to be so large it won't fit within the track to be effective.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• Moderators

If I want more ventilation,  I prop the bathroom door open, open the bath window and vent, and open the main cabin vent. Leave the fantastic fan on low and auto...

This actually  draws a lot of air through our little trailer. Pretty tiny thief to fit thru the bath window... lol.

But, you've probably already done that...

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

Or you could just not worry about it.  If someone wants into your trailer bad enough their gonna get in and tear up a lot of stuff in doing so.  If you ever lock yourself out, you'll wish you'd left a window unlocked.  We generally leave the windows unlocked and open.  Sometimes the door also.  Of course, Reacher might be in there.  For those of you who've met him, you know what I mean.

• Thanks 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Or you could just not worry about it. If someone wants into your trailer bad enough their gonna get in and tear up a lot of stuff in doing so. If you ever lock yourself out, you’ll wish you’d left a window unlocked. We generally leave the windows unlocked and open. Sometimes the door also. Of course, Reacher might be in there. For those of you who’ve met him, you know what I mean.

Will your insurance cover property losses from theft if you intentionally leave your stuff unsecured? I bet there would be big problems with the claim. What about firearms? And personal valuables, credit cards and IDs? Leaving unrestricted access into the cabin is just not on the table. Regardless of any killer Australian Killadoodles that might be inside.

If you are worried about getting locked out, hide a spare under the frame. Or just carry a second one at all times, as I do.

If your post was a joke, I did not get it....

John Davies

Spokane WA

We generally leave the windows unlocked and open. Sometimes the door also. Of course, Reacher might be in there. For those of you who’ve met him, you know what I mean.

I've met him (Mr. Reacher) and would keep me out, as would my Chessie.   I also  lean towards less worry about theft and such, not because the threat isn't there, but prevention is too often just a smoke screen. Breaking into an Ollie is a simple task, (not unlike most RV's), therefore I prefer to leave little of any worth inside. Few thieves are going to take "normal" RV camping stuff. I don't leave valuables, wallets, and such in the RV, put $$ electronics in the truck, and don't worry about it.  Out of site - out of mind, don't flaunt it.

I tend to rely more on observation and common sense, sometimes just paying attention reaps big rewards. I must admit, I carry a firearm much more than I once did, not around camp, or hiking (non bear area), but I have one handy - if it became necessary.  Yes, I'm probably too trusting,  - 30 years of camping from here to there and back, not really had an issue.

• Thanks 3

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

Will your insurance cover property losses from theft if you intentionally leave your stuff unsecured? I bet there would be big problems with the claim. What about firearms? And personal valuables, credit cards and IDs? Leaving unrestricted access into the cabin is just not on the table. Regardless of any killer Australian Killadoodles that might be inside.

If you are worried about getting locked out, hide a spare under the frame. Or just carry a second one at all times, as I do.

If your post was a joke, I did not get it….

John Davies

Spokane WA

After reading this I was trying to think of what of value we kept in the trailer while gone. I suppose someone could disconnect the TV and my old Apple TV. We have a coffee maker and a toaster. Clothes and bedding. A cheap guitar. We always lock the door but routinely leave a window cracked or open. I carry a couple of credit cards and drivers license and military ID but never leave them in the trailer when gone. If someone wants my television I would rather they gently slide the window open, climb in and take it out the door rather than break a window or jimmy the door. We leave chairs, small camp table, Weber gas grill all out when we go hiking or run to the store. I guess we are either naive or too trusting. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Since we we are taking about window security , my issues are the opposite.  I need to keep the girls inside, even if they spot a bird or a squirrel.  They are Setters and always on the hunt.

F0F01E5E-68A7-405F-A571-3D2C130559FF.thumb.jpeg.356cb0b9e759a7c03bbe0dcb3d2c1b5e.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

I ended up with 16 inch sections of a gray 48 inch fiberglass driveway marker pole. Three windows, three pieces from a single pole. It’s fiberglass and 3/8 “ diameter and after filing the cut ends it looks nice enough. The stop does actually keep the rod in place pretty well. I got the pole at a local ranch supply for about $2. I use them along my walk and drive in winter.

8BC2916F-9376-46F6-B015-B361CA861721.thumb.jpeg.7f026f5740a05358c4354197614f631b.jpeg

B0FAE055-2682-4517-A10D-DE403020588B.thumb.jpeg.9ae9ba9f43315183034d6f930d3b528b.jpeg

D18D4CBC-152C-4656-882F-567B53A97E7C.thumb.jpeg.e0e23f5359f3e6803cd7cfc83207b263.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA