3000 WATT YAMAHA ON THE TONGUE !

mountainborn

• Moderators

The fabrication guy wasn't dragging his feet at all. His mom had passed away and he had needed a bit of time to catch up around the shop. I had described it to him on the telephome as "kind of like a mailbox".

Then I took him a set of drawings from different perspectives. He took more accurate measurements than those I had taken. He then made a few improvements. And here it is:

03-14-08_1803.jpg

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Ok, I admit that I don't know exactly what I am talking about... but won't that add too much weight to the tongue for the jeep to pull safely ? You got to remember I got the Casita Club phobias drilled into my psyche! Nothing against them, but I remember so many posts about adding weight to the tongue..... is Oliver that much safer ?

Geri

• Moderators

Geri this may seem controversial, though not intended to be, but, the short answer is yes. The tongue on the Oliver will extend out two feet further by virtue of it's extensible abilities. My adding the generator box is not the factory's solution to adding a generator. The factory has discussed several ways to add a generator, but they nearly all go in front of the propane tank cover. The factory is making bugeyedriver's generator "basket" so that it will have some extra storage there, if I understand it right. Maybe Pete can help us out here. I have went out on a limb a bit here, but it is two hundred pounds fully fueled with 2.5 gallons of gasoline. And it tows just like it did on the Arizona trip last week, without the generator mounted on the tongue.

The cool thing is that it uses the existing two adjustable holes in the tongue to bolt it on. Should something unforseen arise, then it is a simple matter to just unbolt two bolts and set the whole assembly, generator and all off. Which would return the Oliver to the way I have been towing it for a couple of months while anticipating the arrival of the generator box. When I check the bubble level on the tongue jack, I find that the bubble is still centered when sitting level and when I stand back at a distance and look, everything is in a straight line.

03-14-08_1707.jpg

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

A job that good is worth the wait! That fella' is GOOD!!!!

Using aluminum?

Locking capability?

Do you have the gen quick connect kit?

Ventilation and exhaust thru the bottom?

Can open pictures be taken and displayed?

Is the welder open to doing other gen boxes? Like my Honda 2000??????

Can't think of a better excuse to get up there to meet ya'll. Gotta learn about catching n eating catfish!!!!! N I guess cleanin' 'em too.....

Regards, Chuck 8-)

• Moderators

Yes, all aluminum, except for the bolts that go through the tongue holes. There are two channels that the wheels sit in and two rachet straps that cinch the generator to the mount. Then the cover goes over that. I will install the dust seal tomorrow. The cover comes off to run the generator, but it will lock back to the mount to prevent theft or blowing away.

I will place a marine grade hasp and lock on each side, with the locks matched for keys. Additional generator security will be a cable lock inside the cover, that will stay in place except when the generator is removed for service.

Ventilation and exhaust will be unchanged with the cover off. Our Ollie has the generator quick connect installed. The fabricator is usually busy, so scheduling ahead might be the key.

The contact information is:

Lakeside Metal Fab

2610 Hwy. 88 East

Mena, Arkansas 71953

479-394-7711

479-243-0111

Owner/Welder John Herring

>

Wouldn't it be cool if you guys could come up the third week of April when we will spend nine days at Lake Greeson Jug fishing ? With our Geezeer pass, camping is usually $7.00 per. day with hookups, good hot showers, ect.. I heard they may go up by a buck, which would be only .50 cents more with the pass.

Buddy, you could leave out of here an expert jug fisherman and a generator on the tongue !

Oh, and UHh, also a domino whiz !

• Moderators

The top view of the saddle/mount, with the cover latches in place, before the wheel channels are installed:

>

03-14-08_1454.jpg

>

Bottom view of the saddle that straddles the tongue, with the mount on it:

>

03-14-08_1455.jpg

• Moderators

The Yamaha 3000 sits in place for the first time, to measure for the channels that the wheels sit in.

>

03-14-08_1528.jpg

>

With the wheel channels in place, one of the cable lock brackets is installed:

>

03-14-08_1622.jpg

>

The cable lock will deter theft when the cover is unlocked and off. When the cover is on there will be locks on it also.

• Moderators

Generator installation completed, we are hooked up and ready to test pull for the first time:

>

03-14-08_1644.jpg

>

Just look at butcherknife's grin ! Boondockin' here we come !

• Moderators

Overview of the rachet strap tie down system :

>

03-15-08_0905.jpg

>

Rachet strap close up:

>

03-15-08_0904.jpg

>

The straps were fifteen feet long. Now the excess is cut off and the ends seared to prevent fraying.

>

03-15-08_0907.jpg

• Moderators

The Yamaha comes with a spark plug wrench, ect., so we left a small amount of room at the rear, by the rear cable lock bracket, to store small gen set related items where they will be handy if needed.

>

03-15-08_0912.jpg

• Moderators

mountainborn,

That's no simple mailbox contraption you've got there, its the whole dang post office! WOW, what a rig . . . looks as powerful as the generator your hauling. It is sure to get attention as you're cruising down the road.

With the extra 200# strapped out on the tongue shaft, and your self proclaimed crazy, cushion tossing, back woods driving, be sure to add regular inspections of your tongue assembly looking for tiny stress cracks developing at critical points. May never develop, but better to be safe.

The factory is making me an aluminum basket mount which will be immediately in front of the LP cover. It will distribute the weight over the "V" support section before the shaft of the tongue goes forward. My current concept is to have the Honda EU2000i travel in the truck bed, under the secure cover. I can use the cage to carry various supplies, as needed. At camp I'll reposition the Honda to the cage-mount and hook it to the generator quick connect.

I'm also considering modifying the generator to propane and will have a propane tie-in incorporated that won't require me to open the LP cover. I'd get the Yamaha 2400 that is already propane ready but its too tall to fit under the Tacoma's bed cover.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks Pete, you are right. With any new installation frequent inspections are in order. I really like the description of your generator set up and hope you will post photos as you can after your pickup date. Which by the way is getting really close ?

• Moderators

Electrical Load test completed with the following results. With the gen set connected to the coach with the factory's gen set quick connect, we could run the air conditioner and the microwave at the same time. When the air conditioner thermostat and the microwave were satisfied, the gen set would return to it's quiet purr from its slightly higher RPM mode. When turning on the electric heat strip in the air conditioner the gen set sped up slightly and idled back when the thermostat was satisfied.

My conclusion was that the electrical load test was a complete success. ;) Sweet !! 8-)

Try to secure the generator without incorporating the HANDLE. The handle is easily cut with a bolt cutter(not sure on 3000 but 2400 & 2800 and Honda 1000-3000 have been stolen by 2 cuts of the handle at Quatzsite and chain still locked together!!! :twisted:

Chuck 8-)

• Moderators

The aluminum cover is so light that it could easily blow away even in a fairly light breeze, so, securing it so it can't get away goes like this, set it on the ground right beside the generator:

03-20-08_1653.jpg