Hello, from Dayton, Ohio

CedarForks

We're Sandy and Joe Williams from Dayton, Ohio and we're taking delivery of our Oliver Legacy II in January 2019 when temperatures dip into the low twenties. That should give you a good idea about our planning capabilities...

We were fortunate enough to immigrate here from South Africa about 40 years ago with 4 small (1 to 9 years old) daughters. At that time we took our first and last trip in a rented RV to explore this beautiful country. The trip was pandemonium and chaotic -- it cured us of ever wanting to be in an RV again.

That is, until we saw an Oliver about four months ago...

We're going on 75 now and our daughters are middle-aged. Sandy still rides her horse and that is our only major encumbrance from taking very long trips -- we'll dip into the wild in three week spurts.

The Lake Gunderson Rally will be our first such trip: we're all booked and full of anticipation.

• Thanks 4

• Moderators

Officially - welcome you two.  I'm sure that with the Oliver your trips will be a bunch smoother than anything I could imagine that was on the road 40 years ago.

Again I want to thank you and Sandy for allowing me to join you on you factory tour, but, I apologize for having a part in your feeling the need to write that big check (even though I believe that those are funds well spent).  I look forward to seeing you two once again at the Owner's Rally in May.  By then you will be seasoned Oliver owners!

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Welcome to the Ollie family you will love your experience, make sure your heat works before you leave and that time of year carry a back up source read the post from New England. The heater is a mechanical piece of the trailer and always subject to issues not an Oliver issue but Murphy's law can prevail we carry a Buddy Heater which uses the small little green bottles of propane, works well we do not sleep with it but will heat the cabin up nice in the evening before bed and in the morning when you get up just leave a window open when using any of the propane heat sources including the stove when cooking. We were on our way to Alaska back in 2016 and boon docking across from the Canadian Ice Fields it snowed and ice on the truck guess what Murphy's law. Only saying this because of your time of year being on the road. Safe travels. Thanks Gary

• Thanks 1

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

Officially – welcome you two. I’m sure that with the Oliver your trips will be a bunch smoother than anything I could imagine that was on the road 40 years ago.

Again I want to thank you and Sandy for allowing me to join you on you factory tour, but, I apologize for having a part in your feeling the need to write that big check (even though I believe that those are funds well spent). I look forward to seeing you two once again at the Owner’s Rally in May. By then you will be seasoned Oliver owners!

Bill

Yep. You played a major role in our decision to write that check; but only in a positive sense -- it was of great benefit to have an experienced owner 'splaining stuff.  Thank you!

From where in South Africa? My wife and I rented a car there in 2000 and spent seven weeks driving around the country, and I also spent a semester in Durban while in grad school. Such a beautiful country.

Yes, it is. My one daughter is taking her family on vacation to Cape Town in December. They'll visit Table Mountain and the Kirstenbosch Gardens. That's also where Sandy went to College (She grew up in Pretoria). Your visit was during the ascent of Madiba: I wish I could've been there at that time.  We lived on the South Coast, just south of Durban. I was on the University of Natal campus in the sixties when Robert Kennedy visited and stood on the roof of a car while we all reached out in the crowd to get a handshake....

Your visit was during the ascent of Madiba: I wish I could’ve been there at that time.

Yes, it was a very hopeful time for many.  I was studying the informal settlements that had sprung up after apartheid and so was able to get to know people from all walks.  Their optimism was contagious.

My time there in school was mostly spent in the triangle between Durban, Johannesburg and Kruger, though we did make one quick trip down the coast to I forget where, but in the area of Port Shepstone.  My wife and I retraced all of that a few years later and then went inland around the Drakensbergs before heading south to Port Elizabeth to catch the garden route to Cape Town.  So in all that we probably managed to miss your hometown.  I'm jealous of your daughter's trip - we would love to return someday, but oh the price of those flights.

• Thanks 1

Welcome!  We’ll be picking up #413 in January also - from California to Tennessee - challenging weather changes!  But we’re very excited to experience new adventures.  We’ll be attending Lake Gunderson Rally also.  I love this group of people we’ve never met - we feel so welcomed.

• Thanks 1

Kevin and Kathi

TV: 2018 GMC 2500 HD Sierra Duramax 4 x 4 

“Do Your Own Ride”

ALAZCACOILINKYLAMSNVNMTNTXUTmed.jpg

• Moderators

KKMAIN -

I assume that you are returning to CA via the southern route?  What a grand trip you have ahead of you.  I don't know if there will be an organized Quartzsite in late January - early February but it sure would be a wonderful way to break in that new Oliver.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"