What's (not) in your first aid kit?

SeaDawg

• Moderators

We have several  first aid kits. One in the truck. One in the trailer, front of the shelf of the closet. Another bigger bag, more extensive,  that moves from the boat to the hall closet, or can move to the truck, for longer trips. I  also carry a very few items in my purse, and tuck a few in the glove box.

One of the routine checklist items at the beginning of the season is to  empty each kit and check the contents for missing or damaged/expired items. The general rule is also to replace items if they've been used at the next drug store or Walmart stop.

Last trip, I  spent an hour replacing the last of the g4 halogen bulbs in little used fixtures with LEDs. On the very last one, at the foot of the bed, I  took off my glasses to see the tiny holes for the g4 prongs, as I see better close up without the glasses. Big mistake #1.

I got a sharp pain in my eye when a piece of something  fell into my unprotected eye. The slot for eye drops and eye wash was empty in the first aid kit. I'd neglected to replace it last time...

Fortunately,  I was able to hold my lid aside and cry it  out. But, it could have been  serious.

I discovered a few other empty slots... antacid, and topical benadryl for bug bites. Filled them all when we went into town.

Don't neglect your kit like I did....

Keep it up to date.

Sherry

• Thanks 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Before our last trip, I started to reorganize our first aid stuff.  I bought two of these pouches from Blue Ridge Overland and filled them each with the stuff from the list below.  That way my wife and I will always have an individual kit with us when hiking, and since there's always at least one pack in the truck, we'll always have a kit with us there.

Within each pouch, I have individual 'kits' in zip lock bags so that it's easier to get to what you need and also to keep things dry.  Pretty amazing what you can stuff into a small kit.

Backpack First Aid Kit

Wound Kit:

Band Aids:

2 ea. S/M/L

2 ea. Knuckle and Butterfly

Bandages:

(2) 2x3

(2) 3x4

(2) 8 x3

(4) 3x3 Gauze Pads

Gauze Roll

Wound Closure Strips

Waterproof Tape

Duct Tape

(6) Alcohol Pads

Neosporin

Scissors

Blister and Bite Kit

Moleskin

Glacier Gel, Lg & Sm

(4) Oval Blister Bandages

(6) Benadryl

EpiPen

Afterbite

IvyX

Mini Tweezers

Misc

(2) Tylenol

Sunscreen

(4) Bug Wipes

(5) Eyedrop Vials

SOL

SAM Splint

Life Straw

(2) Trioral Salts

(2) Rescue Blankets

Thermometer

Signal Mirror

• Thanks 3

• Moderators

Besides stocking up on the "materials" needed for first aid it is good to get a reminder every few years on how to use these things and improvise if you don't have the "proper" materials available.  The American Red Cross  conducts both regular first aid and wilderness first aid courses in many communities around the country.  While you're at it, the winter just might be a great time to also refresh ones self on AED's and CPR.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Good suggestion. Some red cross classes can even be completed online, at home.

Here's a link to finding classes from the red cross near you.

https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Great ideas! I also recently started keeping a product called “Blood Stop” which is used for major bleeding issues. Not necessarily for large areas though. I have used this on a deep cut recently and it seemed to stop the bleeding quickly. There are similar products the military uses for major wounds that would be handy as well.

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

• Moderator+
Great ideas! I also recently started keeping a product called “Blood Stop” which is used for major bleeding issues. Not necessarily for large areas though. I have used this on a deep cut recently and it seemed to stop the bleeding quickly. There are similar products the military uses for major wounds that would be handy as well.

That might be handy if you were to accidentally bite a big ole chunk out of your tongue while taking warfarin.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Really? I've read some good reviews on bleed stop powders and bandages. I've incorporated them  into our big kit.

Would you not recommend them for a reason,  Steve?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderator+
Really? I’ve read some good reviews on bleed stop powders and bandages. I’ve incorporated them into our big kit.

Would you not recommend them for a reason, Steve?

Sherry

No, I think they are a very good thing.  My previous response was a inside joke to Ken.  Ken and Mary Kay were at our house the night before we all left for Quartzsite this past January. While eating dinner, I did the very thing I mentioned (bit my tongue).  It bleed copiously for two hours.  I thought I was gonna die!

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Yes, you are exactly correct. Some products are rather nasty and I think may cause burns to ER folks. Hoping that someone with medical experience will jump in here. The product that I have is a plant based gauze that actually disintegrates over time. The one time (thankfully) that I had to use it I put a piece on the cut then a regular band aid over that. The next day the gauze was gone. As moisture contacts the material the material dissolves and in so doing, it thickens the moisture (blood) causing the blood to clot quicker. At least that’s my take on it. Another item we seldom think about today is a Styptic pencil. That can be used to stop some persistent bleeding as well. Comments doctor?

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

• Moderator+

I discovered that you can’t hold pressure on your tongue. 90% of the problem that night was the warfarin. Oral vitamin K reversed the warfarin and finally helped staunch the blood.

One thing I would try on your kits...the scissors. Some of the scissors I have seen will not cut the tape. A good pair of bandage scissors are cheap. Even Harbor Freight has a pair of EMT scissors for $1. The next thing I would, and do, carry would be a roll of 'Kling'. It is a non adhesive wrap that will secure a gauze pad or wet bandage in an emergency. It would also hold a splint or act as an ace bandage...

• Thanks 1

• Moderator+

Thanks Ken, friends like you are rare indeed.