RAM 1500 Laramie - Are these specs OK to tow the Elite II

discus277

I want the 3.0 V6 EcoDiesel engine and have found one we like. Drove it yesterday. However, it does not have some of the towing options.

Here are some of the specs,,,,

3.55 Rear Axle ratio.....should I be concerned that it does not have the optional 3.92 ? It does have the optional Anti-Spin Differential rear axle

No tow mirrors, no electric brake although I was told it was wired for and could be added.

Rated towing capacity seems adequate. This is a 2018 Laramie Crew Cab 4 X 4 and the specs for that model are:

Max loaded trailer weight = 7560, max payload is a little light at 1330 but we don't anticipate hauling much in the truck bed

I am hoping some of you towing  pros will chime in and give me some of your opinions since I am new at this....we currently have a small motor home and are about to downsize ....we love the Elite....saw one on Sunday and if we do it we will need a tow vehicle

Thanks, Jim

• Moderators

Jim, I have a 2016 Ram 1500 but with the 5.7L V8. I asked my dealer to find one that had the 3.92 rear end, big gas tank and integrated brake controller, so I have all that. It has a max tow capacity of 10,300 and I’ve had no issues towing through the Rockies. I can say for sure that you don’t need tow mirrors. I have the regular mirrors and I can see straight down both sides of my Oliver. I like the brake controller position and the fact that status is displayed on my dash. I’m no expert but think you’d be fine with the diesel. Towing is a popular topic so you should get lots of input! Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Jim -

Like Mike I'm no expert with regards to towing vehicles.  I just figure getting something I like that has plenty of "safety" margin regarding capacities and I'm good to go.  For virtually all 1/2 ton trucks there really is not much need for towing mirrors in that the Ollie is basically the same width as the truck.  Therefore, you can easily see down both sides of the camper without difficulty.  Having said that, I've found that a camera off the back of the Oliver is helpful both in traffic and when backing into places.

An integrated brake controller is great.  If the Ram offers one - get it.  Certainly many of the after-market ones work well, but, having it integrated allows for a cleaner installation and the reading from the controller (as Mike mentions) show up on your dash where they are easily seen.

The 3.55 axle will be no problem.

Keep in mind that you will probably have to have the Andersen weight distribution hitch - primarily due to the hitch tongue weight limit.

While I've never driven that motor I would not think that it would have any problem what-so-ever in pulling the Oliver anywhere you might want to go.

Good luck!

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

That sounds like exactly the one we almost bought Jim. Just make sure that a front passenger can sit comfortably. We almost bought the 2017 fully loaded crew cab ecodiesel Laramie but the floor of the passenger side was uneven and not suitable for extended driving times for the front passenger.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

I agree with everyone above, but do yourself a favor and weigh your setup when you're ready to camp, where you need to be careful is with your gross combined vehicle weight, and your individual axle weights, olivers are very well balanced trailers to pull , but you need to keep mindful about how your truck and trailer are loaded.

Steve

• Thanks 2

STEVEnBETTY

I think you might be OK with the 3.55 ratio, but I 110% KNOW that the truck will be much livelier, satisfying to drive and get better mpgs towing with the 3.92 axles. Changing the drive ratio by that much makes a serious increase in power delivered to the wheels. The only real downside will be slightly reduced mpgs when cruising empty.

If you are getting 4wd, and you should, and you also expect to install larger diameter or all terrain/ mud tires, get the 3.92 without question. Bigger or heavier tires kill towing performance.

No matter how much you like that truck you drove, the tow package will make it run significantly stronger in stressful conditions, like hot, high 12% mountain grades.

Are you sure you want a diesel, and are you aware of the emission issues (DPF and urea injection) and the high long term costs of repair? If you definitely want one, buy a good extended warranty.

If I were buying a Ram today I would be looking at the 2500 6.4 liter Hemi. I have owned a couple of diesels and never plan to go down that particular road again.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
Thanks for the reply…..what gas mileage do you get from the 5.7 L Hemi?

Jim

I average 19mpg not towing and anywhere from 12mpg to almost 15mpg towing, depending on wind and elevation. I average 60mph on secondary roads and 65mph on interstates. In west Texas on I-10 where the speed limit is 80mph I go 70mph just to avoid being a nuisance. Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks  for your detailed reply. I do have some concerns about the RAM Eco Diesel. I went  that direction strictly for miles per gallon....well not strictly...the torque of the diesel is a big big factor. I currently have a small Class A diesel pusher with the smallest Cummins . We had a Ford V10 gasser before and the difference is remarkable.

I was carrying that experience over to the truck........power at very  low RPM's and torque to climb modest grades without even  downshifting a single gear. If I could get 15 MPG or more with the diesel, the range on a full tank goes up nicely to at least one long day of towing . The man who showed me his Elite II tows with a GMC with the Duramax diesel and he said he gets up to 19 MPG .....however, that is a very small 4 cylinder engine and the power and torque output seem light to me.

I hate the idea of having to refill so often. If I  use the 13 MPG that SteveNBet say they get then times 20 gallons that's only 260 miles.....OK,  maybe I can extend that to 25 gallons if I get the 30 gallon optional large tank (which I think is available)  but still times 13 MPG is only 325 miles. If a diesel would get me to 15 or 16 and I had a 30 gallon tank I'm up to maybe 400 miles per tank......I know there are a whole bunch of IF's in my logic.

However, I do have some concerns about the RAM Eco Diesel....for one it's no longer available in the 2019 models....hmmm why is that I wonder? If I stick with the small diesel I may be inclined to go to the new Ford 3.0 liter version with 10 speed transmission. 3.92 rear axle and the tow package etc.....

You made a strong case for having both of those options...

Thanks .....I would love any additional comments about my logic and about your experience's with mileage range on a full tank of gasoline

• Moderators

Add to all this the initial cost of a diesel versus a gas engine.  Will you be keeping that truck the "required" number of miles with its better gas mileage in order to get a decent return on your investment?

Perhaps many of John's comments really do get down to the most important point - just how do you see yourself actually using this truck.  If you want to tow only on paved roads at relatively low altitude on the flats then larger tires, bigger engines, higher axle ratios, four wheel drive, larger margins of safety, etc., etc. are simply not "necessary".  However, once you start adding altitude or mountains or dirt roads or more serious off road then you start to complicate the issue.  Only you can decide and/or know which of these factors might be on the horizon for you.

Certainly one of the things you mention is one that I regard as a MUST and that is a bigger gas tank for any of the engine options you may decide on.  This is certainly true if you plan on towing in the western part of the US where gas stations tend to be a bit further apart than they are in the East.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I agree with all your tips about mountain towing. We have driven several thousand miles in the west in multiple trips including driving the Alaska highway to Alaska. All in small 34 foot class A first one had gas .....the one we have now is  the small Cummins....a big reason our desire to  "downsize" is the lack of fun in a lot  of the driving this rig. We tow a MINI Cooper but this is not any problem...the problem is when not on super smooth 4 lane  highways......

I would probably keep this truck until we quit doing this which I hope will be several more years....

May I ask, what kind of gas mileage do  you get with the 3.5 EB engine? The Ford salesman  is telling me this is what I should get. And how do you handle the long steep downgrades in the high mountains? This is one more reason I like the diesel option.....the small Ford diesel engine does auto downshift in this situation....there seems to be some controversy about how the Ram Eco Diesel handles descents,

Thanks for your input,

Jim

• Moderators

. . .

Certainly one of the things you mention is one that I regard as a MUST and that is a bigger gas tank for any of the engine options you may decide on. This is certainly true if you plan on towing in the western part of the US where gas stations tend to be a bit further apart than they are in the East.

I definitely concur with Bill's statement about opting for a bigger gas tank.  My F150 (5.0 V8) has the 36 gallon fuel tank.  As I travelled through Yukon and Alaska this summer it was very comforting to look at the "Distance to Empty" calculation and see it read 488 miles after topping off the tank.  Not only are some fuel stops far apart from each other, more than a few times I came upon gas stations that were closed.  Didn't bother me a bit.

• Thanks 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

If you are really wanting a long range, then a diesel is for you. When I towed with a 2006 Ram Cummins 5.9, I loved the loooong times between fillips. I got 14-16 towing unless in really steep terrain or high headwinds, and the tank was 36 gallons. Empty it got 20 to 22.

My Land Cruiser gets 10-12 towing and 16 empty at 60 mph, with no mods except for "plus 2" mud tires and a roof rack, both of which kill fuel economy. I can live with the poor range because I wanted a tow vehicle that was superior offroad and uber reliable, for exploring remote areas. I compensate by carrying extra fuel, so I can top off if needed from the cans before I go exploring. Or if I should run dry, which has never happened.

You can get bigger replacement main tanks or aux tanks for diesels, no problem, so you could cross the country without refueling if that were your goal. You cannot get an aux tank for a gas truck due to emissions laws, mainly the evaporative system. I think that is a stupid law. It is MUCH more dangerous transferring gas manually from a can than from an under-bed tank with a built in transfer pump.

Anyway, it sounds as if a diesel would be a really good fit for you, especially since you have owned one in the past. Have you checked out the Nissan Titan XD "heavy half ton"? That might be a good fit. Depending on the rear suspension, you might not need the Anderson hitch, which would be a big plus IMHO. I am not sure what the tongue weight limits are.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/nissan/titan-xd/2016/2016-nissan-titan-xd-pro-4x-diesel-review-long-term-verdict/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I too have the larger gas tank on the F-150.  Usually I stop because I want to versus because I have to.

The MPG with my 3.5 Eco-boost is right at 22 not towing on relatively flat interstate with the cruise at 65.  On my recent almost 7,000 mile trip to Idaho and back to North Carolina towing my Elite II Oliver I got 13.1.  Note that once in Idaho I really didn't do very much high mountain driving with most elevations well below 7,000 feet.

The braking nor the acceleration with the Ford have never been an issue of any kind.  The 10 speed transmission downshifts automatically to maintain whatever the speed that is set via the cruise control.  And, there is a tow/haul mode that will maintain lower gears longer on uphills (in order to help prevent "wandering" between gears) and downshift more aggressively on downhills.  Frankly, I virtually really never notice what it is doing - it is that smooth.  Having said that, there are times when I see a long decent coming that I will shift the trans into manual mode and take care of the downshifts myself - this is mostly because I still miss standard shifting and get boarded when I'm not interacting with the vehicle.

Bill

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
what is your gas mileage with the 5.0 V8 engine?

Thanks, Jim

Jim,

I do not have an Elite II.  My Elite weighs in at about 4000 lbs, loaded.  Mileage over the last 10,000 miles towing (from Hohenwald, to around Lake Superior, to Fairbanks, AK , to the Rocky Mts of Colorado, yadayadayada, has been 13.4 mpg.  At 60-65 mph, I've seen as low as 10.5 traveling up a long mountain grade and there was one fortunate 150 mile stretch of flatland where I had a 20 mph wind from the rear and achieved 17.5 mpg.  Yippeeee!

More important than  + or - few mpg is the safety factor of your rig.  Do you have enough overhead capacity or are you maxing out your TV capabilities?  Do you have adequate braking capacity for those very long descents down mountains, so you don't overheat your brakes?  Both of these will effect your driving comfort and the longevity of your TV, if you intend to keep it for a long time.

It is easy to find and download the owner's manual for any new vehicle you may intend to purchase. The manual will have a very informative section on Towing that will aid you with your decision.

Good Luck,

Pete

• Thanks 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Miles per gallon is leading me toward the small diesel engine but all the safety factors will be factored in. I will be sure I have enough capacity and electric brakes etc...

I have all the figures for the Dodge Laramie 4X4 and that truck with the 3.0 Eco Diesel exceeds requirements although it is certainly not overkill. However, I can't see the need to go to the 3/4 ton truck class .....other posters seem to agree. ......this truck that John Davies just posted about has my interest though....

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/nissan/titan-xd/2016/2016-nissan-titan-xd-pro-4x-diesel-review-long-term-verdict/

Thanks for your input,

Jim

• Moderator+

We traded our 1500 6.2L gas burner GMC Sierra for a 2500 6.6L Duramax diesel Silverado.  I wanted the "overkill" that the Silverado gives us.  I liked that diesel so much that we bought a GMC Canyon with the 2.8L "Baby" Duramax for Tali as a daily driver.  We will probably actually use it to pull the OOII on short trips as it has a towing capacity of 7600 pounds.

The best towing mileage we've ever gotten is 21.9 mpg but we still average 14 mpg in the 2500 pulling the Oliver.  We were getting about 11.5 mpg in the Sierra 1500.  I can't recommend the diesels strongly enough. They just keep on going no matter the terrain.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I would like to get an update on an old thread.........SUV's pulling Elite II's?

I don't think anyone is looking at it now but after reading through it I got interested in looking at SUV's. One reason is the height of my garage door when open is right on the line....these trucks are high!

There were four  SUV's that got my attention in the old thread

1) the VW Touareg TDI......sounded like  a great tow vehicle but unfortunately for us in the USA the wonderful little turbo diesel is no longer available from VW

2) the Audi Q7........rated up to 7700 pounds towing capacity. The original poster had the same problem as I.....trucks would not fit in his garage. OP really liked it but I did not get any idea of the gas mileage towing......updated experience would be nice to know.)

3) Dodge Durango with 5.7L hemi......OP liked it but for me the limited range makes it less interesting....although other wise I could like it a lot

4) Jeep Grand Cherokee Outlander with the turbo diesel.......All the specs now say that vehicle is rated at 6200 pounds towing although the Trailer Life Towing Guide says they can haul either 7200 or 7400 depending on 2w or 4w drive....link here below.......

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

The most interesting for me is the Jeep if it was rated at least 7000 pounds.....OP did not say what the official rating was on their vehicle.

Some posters mentioned considering a Mercedes Benz GLE 350 4matic SUV but no one had one

Any updated information on SUV's for towing would be interesting

Thanks, Jim

We own the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland diesel described in the thread you mention.  The tow capacity is 7,200 lbs (it's a 4x4.) My experience (Russ') with the mpg has ranged from 14.8 driving into a cold front from Florida to St. Louis to 19.0  from St. Louis to St. George, Utah (going down a gradual plateau after passing over the continental divide in Colorado.)  Overall, I believe it averages ~17.0.  It makes a great tow vehicle for those for whom a truck is not an attractive alternative.  The only con I see is less storage space, which we mitigate with a roof rack, and the front hitch basket Oliver provides as an option.

Russ & Mary Caslin

• Thanks 1

Russ & Mary Caslin

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0L diesel

2021 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7 V8

image.png.6c46b7d70855cd1c9364e28641ce0762.png AZARCOFLGAIDILKYLAMIMOMTNMNCOKSCTNTXUTWYmed.jpg

I have the 2018 RAM ecodiesel and love it.  I believe I have the same axle ratio as you quote. It tows the Ollie beautifully and I love the low end torque. We got around 17 mpg over the Appalachians although I only formally checked 1 fill up.  Got nearly 28 mpg highway on way to Hohenwald. We have the integrated towing package which is nice for the brake trailer display and setting. Weird that yours is not at least wired for electric brakes. The tow package (the tow setting) is nice for the downshifting and braking.

Yes there is some added expense with DEF but refeills come only after about 10,000 miles which is the oil change interval.  Will likely get my DEF from autozone, but I think you can get it a truck stops at the pump which would most likely be cheaper.

• Thanks 1

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.aed3a6aa6cd2b2679a4845e1ea98a981.jpeg

To STLIPA

Thanks.

The Jeep with the small diesel would be our first choice but as I said in my post above when you look at the specs for the 2018 or 2019 Jeeps with the V6 Eco Diesel they only rate it at 6200 pounds maximum.  I don't understand why or what is going on but that seems to be the story. I see yours is a 2015 model year. They must have reduced the  tow ratings sometime between then and the current models.

The Trailer Life Towing Guide rates both the 2017 and 2018 models at either 7200 or 7400 so I don't know what is going on....I really like this choice but if they are currently rated at only 6200 I would not want to risk towing an Ollie II

Thanks again, Jim