Legacy Elite or Legacy Elite II

quoyle

It seems from posts here that most Ollie owners have purchased Elite IIs. I'm trying to decide between the two. The smaller legacy seems to be an amazing use of space and might be easier for me to tow and maneuver. I am also looking for a TV and a mid-size pickup, like the Tacoma, seems suited for the Elite, but may not be enough for the Elite II. For those of you who have weighed both I would love to know what went to making your decision.

• Moderators

I'd love to have a slightly  larger bed, but the original legacy  is still our choice,  11 seasons later.  We're not motivated to move on to something larger.

Both trailers live really big on the outside,  which is where we spend  most of our time. Either model has everything you need...

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

We had a 2008 Elite I for 5 years.  We sold it and bought a 2014 Elite II, the first to roll off the line.  We did it simply to have more room.  We travel a lot, with several dogs one of which weighs over 100 pounds.  He needs a place to sleep so he gets the side dinette made down into his bed every night. We liked the Elite I but we love the Elite II.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Have you seen both?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I hope you do. I  think the original  Legacy is often ignored.

It's not only cute, and nimble, it has all the same amenities.  Though not as big a bed, and not quite as much storage. The truck bed, and bins under the big dinette bed, make up for that.

That said, it's  tighter quarters, for sure. But, we love it. But, we don't have a big dog, and we're average size people. Our little dog is 9 pounds, and sleeps on her bed in the small dinette  seat. Everyone  has to respect  each others share of the space.

We camp a lot in shoulder season. The outside space is great, under the awning.

A number of times, we've delivered bigger motorhomes, but we've  never been  tempted to change it up. Hull #12 will likely  go to our daughter someday.

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Try looking here

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/how-to-add-forums-signature-maps/

Hope that helps. The tacit agreement on the forum is to post the  map for your Oliver trailer only... but I guess that's up to the individual.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I would underscore everything that Sherry said. We love the size of the Elite. You can tuck them in just about anywhere, and it is a very cozy shelter.

But.... If you are much over 5'10", you might feel a little cramped for headroom. I'm 5'10" and can stand tall in the main cabin with maybe 1.5" clearance. In the bathroom I have to stoop a bit to take a shower, but not so bad. For two folks, you learn how to move within the trailer. It's like being on a boat. The Elite is also narrower than the Elite2 so if you're more on the plus side, you may appreciate the extra width of the Elite2.

Since this is our first trailer, we decided to go smaller and am glad we did.  Everyone has different requirements and are of different sizes!  We don't travel with pets so that is not a concern for us. Best to visit one or both if any are near by. The Elite will also be quite a bit lighter (but still pretty hefty) and have less tongue weight if you have a smaller TV. Good luck.

Dave

• Thanks 1

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

We love our Elite I because it is so nimble and easy to get around with.  We are medium height and have no pets so it is great for us.  We also didn't want to get a larger tow vehicle than our 4Runner V6, and it handle the Ollie well. We've been all over the US with the combo.

• Thanks 1

I have a Elite and very happy with it.  80% of the time, it is just me, 20% my wife travels with me.  The Elite has everything I need.  However, I would question the use of a Tacoma as your TV.  Yes, it may be rated for  the weight, but you will find the truck struggling with steeper grades and certainly mountains.  By the time you add your camping gear, full LP tanks, food etc, you are pushing the max weight

I have a 03 tundra with a 230 hp engine. It is sufficient.  My friend has a 14 tacoma.  He is unable to tow my Elite over nearby mountians more than 40mph and the gas milage is terrible.  You may want to look closely at where you would be pulling Ollie, your gear weight and and maximum pulling/towing weights.

• Thanks 2

Look at both, it really depends on your wife and how much space she needs. If I was single an Elite would be huge but after having a Casita Liberty Deluxe, we found that she prefers a lot more room for her kitchen supplies. We have one cupboard that's simply full of different spices in our Elite II and she loves it as do I. As a couple, I would definitely look at both because the Elite II really isn't much bigger.

Reed

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II