Tools, Tools, Or just a big Hammer

After reading the posts on First Aid kits, I though a similar one discussing what tools and such the "well traveled" bring on their journeys to and fro. For whatever reason, I have gone from too much, the kitchen sink and all, to now minimizing what I bring. But with the numerous systems on my Ollie, I am considering a few things I haven't packed previously.

I usually have an mixed drive socket set, assorted types/sizes of screw drivers, a wire cutter, multi pliers, a smaller vise grip plier, needle nose, electrical tape, gorilla tape, and one adj end wrench.  I am adding a multi gauge tester, and what I need to change out a bad bearing (TBD). I will include in my spare parts stash a bearing set, all the needed fuses, and a grease gun with OEM  grease.

I always carry several battery powered light sources and a multi-tool, rope, a rag or two, and tire gauge in my truck.

What am I missing, what do ya'll carry?

RB

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

What you said plus: large and small Channellocks and Cresent wrenches, torque wrench, electric impact gun with deep impact sockets for truck and trailer wheel nuts, wire stripper/terminal clamp, Fluke non contact thermometer, Fluke AC voltage detector, dead blow hammer for hitch, ratcheting pipe cutter, 1/2 inch hex key, Teflon tape, snap ring pliers and extra cone for Andersen hitch, hand cleaner wipes, blue shop paper towels, cable ties, extra tire air pressure gauge, 3/8 inch drive ratchet extension, lots of small spare stuff.

Going to add a close quarters PEX ring crimp tool:

http://pexcrimper.com/index.html

Reason for 1/2 inch hex key:

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/check-your-hose-attachment-fittings/#post-134357

Reason for 3/8 inch drive extension:

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/jack-crank-extension/#post-127187

I put this coupler on my grease guns:

1FEB086B-A9A5-4733-B09F-23BDE891502C.thumb.jpeg.d59d59e7c88240060b15b65c89e6da52.jpeg

EC24A4D2-3FBB-4355-B516-D60C2B95F4AB.thumb.jpeg.da16397cf06d8c051d33d233e895806f.jpeg

Bill

• Thanks 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

• Moderators

Love the title.

We do have the big hammer...? though we don't carry all the above...

I'd add duct tape, a 12v tire pump, and a jump box.

Plus a credit card, two cell phones on different services,  and good Sam's premium towing insurance...

Have yet to use the towing insurance,  but it's good to know you have it.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

RB,

In addition to what you take, keep a 12V motorcycle air pump, small tub of bearing grease,  and a deep well socket with short extension, 1/2" breaker bar for Ollie lug nuts. Will start taking a 1/2" drive torque wrench, too.

Used this air pump on our last trip to top off the TV rear tires, connected to the + power wire for the front jack (fused) and - to jack mounting bolt, worked fine:

i-rvtn9sv-M.jpg

i-ZDW5s4C-M.jpg

Also keep the grease gun in a plastic tool box to keep it from dripping on stuff:

i-LQc4PPQ-M.jpg

i-N6BhZrN-M.jpg

Speaking of hammers, carry a 1 pound dead blow hammer, too.

2015 LE2

Yea.....

Everything listed above and then some.

1/2" Hammer Drill with bits, SDS Plus with bits. Both will drive awning stakes almost thru concrete really fast.

A full set of wrenches from 1/4" to 1-7/8 that live in the truck tool box under the hood.

Everything up to a 24" Crescent wrench that I end up using mostly to help others change their drop hitches to level their trailers more often then I thought...

Then the 4" angle grinder with both cut off and grinding wheels. Still my most used tool that stays right under the driver's seat.

Then this year for the first time I started carrying my Dremel tool with a ton of different heads and that has really become one of my most used tools.

Yes... There's lots more but that's all mining related like my metal detectors, a #2 Shovel, rock hammers, and then there's the blasting equipment, but that's another story :)

Reed

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

and what I need to change out a bad bearing (TBD).

RB

Did not have spare bearings/seal kit when you mentioned it, so dropped by Redneck Trailer Supply yesterday and picked one up. Took the 5200 pound Dexter Axle spec sheet in and they had a prepackaged kit on the shelf. Hopefully will never need to use it.

2015 LE2

• Moderators

For those that are really into this subject simply type tools and/or tool box into the search function and you will get even more tool information.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I have a 18 wheeler following me with a complete machine shop, lathe and end mill with a good supply of metal.   I also have every tool that Snap-On sells! My first-Aide kit is the second 18 wheeler with a full surgical MASH unit.

All joking aside, I have traveled with some that had enough tools and supplies to rebuild an engine, and others that traveled with his Good Sam's warranty and Emergency Assistence card.

If traveling a moderate distance to a state/federal park near an urban area, carry fewer tools than a cross country trip into remote areas.

Happy Trails !!

Coy

• Thanks 3

• Moderators

Coy,

That's  funny.

But, honestly,  even on long trips with delivery units, we carry a small toolkit. And cards.... Good Sam's,  Visa, mc,  gets us where we need to go.

Just me.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.