Interesting tow vehicle

Kayrae51

Our travels have taken us several interesting places this fall. A week ago we visited the Road America Speedway in Elkhart, WI to go to the VSCDA Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival which showcased several impressive machines including many pre-war racers and Can-Am enthusiasts reliving history. Clair was interested in watching the races and finding a 1960 Austin-Healey “Bugeye” Sprite similar to one his brother had. While viewing the race cars we saw this interesting racing rig that was being used to haul a vintage MGB race car. The area was pretty crowded so it was difficult to get good photos but I think you will enjoy this one anyway.

Kathy

4EADB864-319B-4D4E-AB5C-81F9ED45D585.thumb.jpeg.1363615bcafdc409b9c958da3a07fc0b.jpeg

• Thanks 6

Clair & Kathy Reed - plus our travel companion: Emma

2017 Legacy Elite II - Hull# 245

2014 Ram 1500 3.0 V6 Eco-diesel 4x4

ALFLGAILINIAKYMIMONCOHPATNVAWVWIsm.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

We were at Elkhart Lake six years ago. A lovely , idyllic little town. An hour north of Milwaukee, two hours southwest of Door county.

Check the Elkhart lake website. There is something going on all summer. And, it's beautiful country.

Wisconsin is ripe with beautiful campgrounds, state parks, and lakes, rolling hills, and bluffs.

If you have even a little time, get off the interstate, and discover the amazing beauty of Wisconsin.

Ok, I am partial. Grew up near the border.disclaimer

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Kayrae51 -

Nice tow vehicle, but I just can't thank you enough for bringing back the memories of those Can-Am beasts.  Unlimited horse power cars!  The ground would shake when they started them up - and that was several hundred yards away!  Mark Donahue and that Sunoco Porsche or UOP Shadows - WOW!

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Nan -

A "tow package" normally includes an integrated brake controller, additional oil cooler and/or transmission cooler, a larger gas tank, perhaps integrated on-board software that can control sway, extended blind spot monitoring for the additional length of what is being towed, a frame mounted hitch and perhaps additional items.  I'm not exactly sure what a "tow hitch" is supposed to mean.  I'd certainly ask for a much better explanation of exactly what items are included.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks Bill.  I looked at 3 trucks the other day at Car Max and they all three had a tow hitch listed.  Like I said the salesman said that meant they all had tow packages.  It is much harder trying to find a tow truck than it is deciding on an Oliver.  Thanks again.

Nan, this a “tow hitch”.... a beefy square receiver that bolts to the frame, providing a strong mount for your actual tow ball mount or Andersen weight distributing hitch. It also has holes for you to hook the emergency cables to.

D0AC9F1E-EF76-421B-ACE9-A76D071410A8.thumb.jpeg.c7700d8f66aa3b31af5c1e6125876f0d.jpeg

They are defined by how much weight they can handle, you need a Class 4 or 5 for an Ollie and that is which is what comes standard on all newer pickup trucks.....   https://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitchclasses.aspx

As Bill said, what you need is the complete package, which varies highly from manufacturer to manufacturer. IMHO for new vehicles Ford currently has the most sophisticated setup. And it doesn’t come standard on every vehicle, because all the extra “assists” cost money.. And it changes from year to year. Pickups you see on the lot are way more likely to have the complete package, full sized SUVs, not very often. Confusing, eh?....  https://www.boatus.com/magazine/trailering/2013/june/tow-package-or-not.asp

NEVER EVER believe the sales droid, who may know less than you, read the sale sticker on the back window, or a copy of it. If you need help post a picture of that “equipment list” here and ask, we can decipher it. If you download a sales brochure for the year truck you are looking at, you can read all about the tow features, for that year. Like this....  https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?bodystyle=Truck&make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2018

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.