Microwave frame cracks

Foy_Mirna

With 5 days of straight rain we have had plenty of time inside. So organize and clean. While cleaning the outside of the microwave I notice my paper towel was catching on the corners of the stainless steel frame round the microwave. Looking closer I found three of the frames corner have stress cracks.

20C5CB50-37DF-4FAE-B909-02C191C7CB45.thumb.jpeg.4ac5e701c6f34d74e1d32e928a071d54.jpeg

See other phots below

I can only surmise this is form installation or the microwave is not fullly suppprted and movement is stressing the material. Anyone’s else have this happening or ideas of why?

As always, this form and been amazing and I truly appreciate all who contribute to it.

004999FF-F7B0-4DEA-9FBC-D05D89580816.thumb.jpeg.fea4b815dd1abd6ea1a9e42e71d17371.jpeg

0BAA735D-B0FE-416A-8858-ACE07B3A5B15.thumb.jpeg.01ddea950f85525297f0eef11c631ee3.jpeg

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
2017 Legacy Elite II, Twin Bed
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

• Moderators

Yep - that was probably me.  However, my microwave was only held in by the "face plate" and when the 3/4 inch screws that held it in place let go, the whole microwave almost broke loose going down the road.

There is supposed to be a bracket on the top, middle of the microwave that holds it firmly to the surrounding cabinet above.  One should be able to see this bracket by removing the face plate, shining a light across the top of the microwave right in the middle.  The bracket is made of thin, but strong steel.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Sorry for the delay - I just got home from a short trip to upper NY State.

Jason sent me the parts that should have been there in the first place and I installed them myself.  The hardest part was cutting a 4 inch hole through the cabinet above the microwave down into the area where the microwave sits - that fiberglass is really tough stuff and basically destroyed the carbide bit I used.  The missing bracket was installed on the top of the microwave and then - via the 4 inch hole - it was secured to the microwave cabinet from above with a couple of stout stainless screws.  Even though Jason included a "port hole" to be placed where I had drilled the 4 inch hole, I decided that I would not use it due to the "bump" it would cause in the bottom of that cabinet.  Instead, I glued a thin piece of lexan that I had laying around over the hole and replaced the existing black rubber mat over it - you'd never even know that it was there.  The whole process took less than 45 minutes and I was being super careful.  The microwave has never moved in the three years since.

The attached photos show the microwave before I attached the bracket that Jason sent me - that bracket is attached to the metal piece seen running from the front to the rear of the top of the microwave.  In my case the only damage that was done was that three out of the four screws that hold the face plate of the microwave on were stripped out of the fiberglass and the fiber-granite top below the microwave was gouged by one of those screws.  Jason replaced the fiber-granite top and supplied four screws that simply were a half inch longer and worked perfectly for holding the face plate while also concealing the stripped holes.  Sorry that I didn't take a picture of the installed bracket.

Bill

P1000840.thumb.jpg.d0f9f9d0ce09c2a1f16cd40dfc44b5e5.jpg

P1000842.thumb.jpg.34e3d4299f96b3d1fe7391e5fcd4dbf4.jpg

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Interesting, and timely. We are on the fence about getting an installed microwave in our 2019 Oliver and I do believe you have just helped me decide - reckon we will opt for the extra storage instead. If later we decide a microwave is a useful item, couldn't we simply get a small plug-in type and carry it with us as we already plan to carry other electric cooking appliances such as the "One Pot" and an electric griddle.

• Thanks 1

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

Interesting, and timely. We are on the fence about getting an installed microwave in our 2019 Oliver and I do believe you have just helped me decide – reckon we will opt for the extra storage instead. If later we decide a microwave is a useful item, couldn’t we simply get a small plug-in type and carry it with us as we already plan to carry other electric cooking appliances such as the “One Pot” and an electric griddle.

Yes

If you delete the microwave they still install the outlet in the cabinet above and there is a hole to run a plug through. You could get a small microwave later and put it in the storage cabinet.

• Thanks 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

Foy,

I just noticed a small crack in the lower right corner of our microwave frame while cleaning the other day. It’s just big enough to catch my cleaning cloth. I assumed it was cracked during installation but your thoughts sound more likely. Thanks for bringing up this subject......Kathy

[attachment file=52095C67-95A3-44DE-B5E6-B5CC0A31817D.jpeg]

• Thanks 1

Clair & Kathy Reed - plus our travel companion: Emma

2017 Legacy Elite II - Hull# 245

2014 Ram 1500 3.0 V6 Eco-diesel 4x4

ALFLGAILINIAKYMIMONCOHPATNVAWVWIsm.jpg

I have to say, Foy, you and mirna are the nicest and most tolerant people I think I’ve ever met, dealing with yet another issue and you still handle it with class and patience, a lot of people would have already lost their “cool”, good for you!

I understand my Oliver is a complex group of systems and third-party products. That said, two things keep my tolerance in check - first, Oliver.  No matter what, how many or for what reason, they have always said “Not a problem Mr. Sperring we will take care of it.”  Second, this forum. The people here care for one another and truly want to help. Whether it’s an opinion or hard learned knowledge. Time and time again you all have helped me. I hope I can return the favor as my experience grows.

• Thanks 4

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
2017 Legacy Elite II, Twin Bed
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

• Moderators

Well stated, Foy. There will be problems. Whenever I’ve contacted the Oliver folks I’ve received great support. This forum is growing and has many technically knowledgeable members who are also quick to help. Being an Ollie owner is a good place to be! Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS