Spare tire cover and bike rack

Corcomi

I was doing a checkup before heading to Florida and decided to see if the spare tire was properly filled with air.

I have the Oliver made bike rack (2017) with the dual Thule installed bike holders, and when i tried to take the fiberglass cover

on the spare i wasn't able to do it. It seems as if the bike rack doesn't allow for the for that to happen unless i take off the whole

bike rack. Anybody have this problem? Solution?

Thanks

• Moderator+

That rack was not designed to allow access to the spare tire without removing it first.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

We have the same bike rack and regret not having them "show" us how to remove and replace it during delivery. Once I got it home I decided to do it so it would not be a new procedure at the time we had a flat tire and needed to do it. It was VERY DIFFICULT to get the bike rack off. There were shavings from the drilling left in the square tubing that made it a challenge. This is not a simple one man job in my opinion....at least not ours!

I recommend anyone that has this rack to do that drill so you can understand the level of effort it will take to do the job.

• Thanks 1

Darrell & Kathy

2013 F-250 Diesel 6.7

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Hull #319)

https://www.blogger.com/profile/02054187086533485920

d

Yes it is a bi**h to get off. I removed mine just before my last trip, not sure I could have removed it with out the 4x4 I had on hand. I thought it was due to my install, as I did the mounting, modification for my Thule rack, and all the drilling and such. Guess its a problem on most of them.

Before I reinstall I will flat file all the surfaces on the "male" ends, and liberally apply some aluminum specific grease.  With a little more tolerance in the fit and some lube I hope to leave the 4x4 at home...….

20180724_101414.thumb.jpg.60fcd19ea3cf5cc13119d6d022254319.jpg

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I have the new bike rack on order as part of our 2019 delivery in January.

Does anyone know if the square tubing is 6061-T6's? The inside & outside dimensions?  In other words, how much 'play' for sliding?

When removing the bike rack, it seems that the pulling force on both sides must be absolutely perpendicular to the crossbar to avoid sticking --   perhaps inducing a rapid vibration of some kind while pulling would help?

The tubing is 6061-T6 and the frame ends that go into the reciever blocks are machined on all four sides a very small amount but enough to create an edge that stops the travel into the receiver  blocks and interestingly with no radius on the corners. To remove the frame from the receiver blocks loosen the  nuts on the bolts that run vertically through the frame that hold the receiver blocks in place.  This allow for the blocks to slightly move when sliding the  frame out. A rubber mallet strike aft on the frame is helpful. I would file a small radius on the frame ends that insert into the blocks and lube.

• Thanks 1

Roadrunner

Legacy Elite II Hull # TB, / TV :White 2017 Ford F250 Super Duty Platinum

It seems as if the bike rack doesn’t allow for the for that to happen unless i take off the whole bike rack. Anybody have this problem? Solution?

1: Remove spare tire cover, clean, wrap and store it on a secure shelf in your garage.

2: http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/howw-to-service-your-spare-tire-without-removing-it/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1: Remove spare tire cover, clean, wrap and store it on a secure shelf in your garage.

Personally I  prefer the looks of the tire cover. Without the cover the Ollie looks a little barren. I'll get around to remedying the carrier issue, its not rocket science. In the mean time, I'm enjoying the Ollie - here and there, and beyond.

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201