Refilling 1 pound propane bottles?

ShallowGal

Has anyone done this?

On a RV Facebook group, someone asked what to do with old 1# propane bottles. Other than using them for target practice,  several folks responded that they refill theirs. Duke & I did not know this was possible, so I googled & found the YouTube video posted above. Would love to hear your thoughts. We're still leery.

Facebook group is called rvtipsandhelpfulhints

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Moderators

Been there done that.  The cost of the adapter, available at Walmart, is about $17.  The process is fairly simple, but, unless you release the air that replaces the propane as it gets used you can only get a tank about 1/2 full.  Unless, you also blead off that air by pulling on the little safety valve on the one pound tank.  Here is where I ran into problems.  On about every third or forth tank the safety valve would not reseat.  This caused ALL of the propane that I had just put into it to leak back out that little valve.  Perhaps this should not be too much of a surprise in that those valves are not manufactured  to be operated in such a manner.

Given that a half full tank is not of much use to me, I basically gave up on the refilling.  However, I do still carry the adapter with me on trips so that in the event I run out of full little bottles I can refill one or two (1/2 full that is) until I can get to a store that doesn't charge $6 or $7 apiece for them.

Bill

p.s.  some camping areas do recycle these little bottles - I've done this several times in Yellowstone.

p.s.s. if you decide that you want to try refilling these one pound bottles - by all means be very careful!

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

We did that years ago. I remember  putting on bottle in the garage fridge... maybe the 20 pounder? Not sure.

We don't bother anymore. Don't use one pounders...

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.