Twin Bed Conversion

Mike and Carol

• Moderators

We have the twin bed version of the LEII. After the first year we realized that we were so used to sleeping together that it would be nice to be able to occasionally convert the twin beds to a double bed. I made some plywood pieces to span the gap between the twin beds and we bought some foam to sit on the plywood and create a double bed. We went with this for a year+. The problem was storing the foam when we were in the twin bed mode. So, we measured and discussed and this is what we came up with to eliminate the extra foam. We are leaving tomorrow for a month or so to go up to South Dakota so we’ll see how it works.

Here is the gap between the twin beds. It measures 18” X 51”. It’s actually 50” from the nightstand to where the curve starts on the bed frames.

91F5E920-046E-4C1F-9B6C-ADFEE0C28FEC.thumb.jpeg.4afc27cefccdd30a49ea279a73706903.jpeg

Here is the same gap with the plywood. There are three pieces measuring 19” X 17”. It’s 3/4” plywood. The plywood stores easily under the mattresses when not in use.

D9F7CAAB-8C4E-4397-B445-670ABF49AD8B.thumb.jpeg.ed6f4cf28b35d85a41565b9b433a712c.jpeg

I cut a 1/2” X 1/8” recess on the short side of the plywood so that when placed on the fiberglass mattress frame is locks in place and won’t slide.

F8CE4B31-4AAF-402D-A9E6-7805F7FDB5D0.thumb.jpeg.a445f8a6ef4e37cc3ec6d21f4f14c0e4.jpeg

In order to eliminate the extra foam that required a place to store we reconfigured the dinette cushions. We had new cushions made that included a larger back cushion that measures 25” X 19” and is 6” thick. In the dinette it sits on the fiberglass, not the bottom cushion. The new bottom cushion is smaller, 25” X 17” and butts up against the back cushion. The larger back cushions sit on the plywood when in double bed mode.

Here are the new dinette cushions. Notice the back cushion does not sit on the bottom cushion.

400CC030-E0A5-4A32-925C-903D868C4172.thumb.jpeg.a3147bbb8c621c5361d3da3eca2e2f66.jpeg

Here’s a shot with the cushion removed to make the double bed.

CFEBF294-0BE0-48AA-B018-B7CB528997B6.thumb.jpeg.876148aa9c7c7763200f579b70837a06.jpeg

Here are the cushions on the plywood.

EC052E10-247E-4729-B091-1C7CF8B3F5F2.thumb.jpeg.788ce2e14e2706331d3883badb693228.jpeg

We were a little concerned that the dinette seats wouldn’t be as comfortable with the thicker back, but sitting in the driveway the last few days it seems okay. Also, we wondered if the bottom cushion would stay put without the back cushion sitting on top of it. We’ll see how it works out this next month on the road. Mike

• Thanks 11
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Excellent solution and execution.

It’s funny because I always thought we would order a standard bed when the time came.  I didn’t think my better half would go for the twin bed version.  Low and behold, we found a 6 month old 2017 standard bed and used the big bed for 1 trip.  We did not like devoting 40% of the space to a bed and did not like converting it to booth table each morning.  So we tried different sleeping arrangements and settled on the dinette for Krunch and the back bench for me and the dogs stay on either side bench.

And then over Labor Day week the factory converted it to the twin bed configuration.  We bought mattresses from Southern Mattress and they shipped then to Hohenwald.  Next week is our first trip as a twin bed and I am hoping for the best.

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Now that was thinking outside the box Mike, I really like that idea. I have made our's into a king a couple time when we take the Grandkids for a couple weeks in the summer looks good and a lot less extra structure with your method. Thanks Gary

• Thanks 1

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

• Moderators

OK, Mike - got a question.  Given the size of both you and Carol why did you use 3/4 inch plywood?

Seriously - good job.  Assume that you cut that edge with a router?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
OK, Mike – got a question. Given the size of both you and Carol why did you use 3/4 inch plywood?

Seriously – good job. Assume that you cut that edge with a router?

Bill

I was going to use 1/8” plywood but that didn’t leave much for the edge recess to lock. ? I cut it on my table saw with a dado set. It’s a bit more exact than a router. Mike

• Thanks 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
Mike,

I hope you had a great trip.

How did your mods work out? Any adjustments needed?

Andrew

We’ve had a couple of good trips since this and we’re getting ready to go out again next Thursday. The mod has worked well. It’s important that the density of the middle cushions match the mattresses, otherwise it’s a bit uncomfortable. We found this out on the first iteration just using some high density foam for the middle. The new dinette cushions are a very close match to the mattresses and are much more comfortable. The larger back cushion on the dinette has not been an issue. The new bottom cushion configuration does move more when you get up, but it’s easy to straighten back out.

The only thing I would do different is to make two plywood pieces instead of three. I did three because I had some scrap cabinet grade plywood pieces that weren’t big enough. All in all, we’re happy with this modification. Mike

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

we were so used to sleeping together that it would be nice to be able to occasionally convert the twin beds to a double bed.

I did a similar mod - but getting in and out of bed - is just a pain. Not sure how many times I'll actually use the larger bed set up. I like having the option however.

I use a single board set-up, fabricated some aluminum removable hangers, and it installs at same level as cushions, between the opening. Plywood stores under bed area cushions when not in use, hangers - in a drawer. KISS principle in use.

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 3 weeks later...