Use vinegar to descale the Suburban water heater, plus some questions.

Does anyone do this and did you use the built-in Oliver Winterization plumbing to get the solution into the tank, or another method?

I was thinking about removing the upper valve,  screwing a threaded nipple and 90 degree elbow into the port and pouring it in with a small funnel, to be sure the tank was completely full... would I need one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-10552-Universal-Temperature-Pressure/dp/B003VB15MC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1538840516&sr=1-1&keywords=Camco+10552+Universal+Temperature+and+Pressure+Valve+Remover

Or would a regular 7/8" crowfoot socket work?

I kinda want to make sure the relief valve is not torqued down too much, or frozen in place, in case I need to remove it on a trip due to leakage. Plus, by removing the valve I could soak it in vinegar also to clean the inside passages and seat area.

Finally, .... ! Would any magnesium anode rod be OK or should I stick to an OEM one? $16 Prime for one Surburban rod, vs $20 Prime for a pack of two generic ones.

Comments and suggestions?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I got a CAMCO branded rod when it was on sale somewhere a year or so ago.  Mine just says on the package that it fits the Suburban but I have not actually tried it yet.  I think that an anode is an anode and given its purpose I'm not too sure just how it could be any different.  Previous stick built campers have not shown any difference between branded and n0n-branded rods.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I got a CAMCO branded rod when it was on sale somewhere a year or so ago. Mine just says on the package that it fits the Suburban but I have not actually tried it yet. I think that an anode is an anode and given its purpose I’m not too sure just how it could be any different. Previous stick built campers have not shown any difference between branded and n0n-branded rods.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I am sure that there are some quality control variations with the generic ones, such as the alloy type and diameter. It may be that those do not matter, other than avoiding an aluminum rod. By using an OEM rod, the owner might be better protected if there is a warranty claim for corrosion.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Perhaps you are correct, but, I just can't imagine the hoops that one would have to jump through for just about any type of warranty claim due to corrosion.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Does anyone do this and did you use the built-in Oliver Winterization plumbing to get the solution into the tank, or another method?

Yes. I followed this same video and used the "Oliver Winterization plumbing." It seemed to work well.

• Thanks 1

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• 1 month later...

I did this successfully, 6 gallons of 50/50 vinegar and water, using the onboard pump. I let some solution bleed out through the relief valve to clean it. After three hours I drained, rinsed with the wand, and flushed twice using the pump to remove any remaining vinegar. It cleaned out the tank beautifully.

The only issue was that the acid solution coming out the drain discolored my concrete driveway. Rats. I did not expect that. I did not think the pH would be low enough, with the garden hose running over it. I was wrong.

Do it over gravel, not grass since it might kill the lawn.

John Davies

Spokane WA