Zamp Solar controller

Seems my Zamp charge controller is offline - at night, but where do you pick up charge information when on shore power, and no solar charge? Or am I over thinking this. I'll give Oliver a call, the manual is very lite in this respect.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Push the Battery button on your tank monitor. If your voltage is over 13 the battery is charging.

If you have the surge suppressor option, your remote monitor will show shore power status, such as volts, frequency, amps and any error codes.

Unfortunately you have to lift up the cushions and look in the streetside rear compartment, unless you have moved it to a better location. It is a very easy mod if you want it positioned where you can actually use it. I like to be able to monitor the amps when running on generator power. I did not want to keep evicting my wife from that bed to do it. Some people do not like seeing the flashing display, but it is simple enough to cover it if it is a nuisance.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Follow - up. When you (I)  think something is not working correctly, you (I)  "really" read the manuals, break out the tools and testers, and figure it out yourself. So once home, that's what I did. My system is working just fine, but I now fully understand the system, and how the various components work, and how to test the converter function outputs, overcurrent and polarity fuses.

Were I to design this system, I would probably include a little more system information hardware. Blue Sea and Zamp have appropriate hardware, but as I've come to understand our systems are a balance between cost and customization - I get it, but as a tinkerer who likes to "know" I suffer here..

The led lights and the led bar across the top indicate system status and battery charge, but it is nice to understand the multiple LED  "meanings" or codes. Now I know - and will move on to other "inquiring minds" non problems.

John D,  The progressive power monitor remote on my unit is located up in the corner of the rear compartment -above the TV, no need to move the bedding around.

Were I to design this system, I would probably include a little more system information hardware. Blue Sea and Zamp have appropriate hardware, but as I’ve come to understand our systems are a balance between cost and customization – I get it, but as a tinkerer who likes to “know” I suffer here..

Which is why Oliver should offer a modern electrical system like the Victron as an option - powerful yet dead simple to understand.  Adding it was by far the coolest thing we did to our trailer.

• Thanks 2

That is a pretty cool unit. 

powerful yet dead simple to understand

Given I've paid for the one I've got, and now I know how to get the most out of it, it will have to do.

Each time we take the Ollie out, I learn something. I

You are correct - unfortunately as a retrofit, it would be a very difficult purchase to justify, since most people opt for the factory inverter and have already invested in a generator and accessories. Doing it from scratch as we did, however, our system ended up, after the tax rebate, to be only ~$800 more than we would have otherwise spent.  $2,200 more if I include the lithium batteries, which in the end are nice to have but I'm not entirely convinced were a necessary expense.  Still worth it, imo, depending on one's priorities.

Glad you got it figured out.