The latest (generation 3 ?) receiver discussion

John E Davies

The new version has a piece of rectangular bumper material spanning the distance between the frame members with a stout 1.25” square receiver ubolted through it in the center. I like it. A pic can be seen on the trailer Options page near the bottom. I cannot upload a pic since the forum is so screwed up right now... Pictures work, here is the factory image:

IMG_64761.thumb.jpg.4df2c9f38868e0bee78c92c261c602a9.jpg

Can we discuss this newest design here? There have been other threads about carrying bikes, using the older “platform” versions.

Does anyone have the new one yet?

Could it be ordered witha 2 inch receiver, the most common size?

I really want to relocate my Oliver cargo tray from the tongue to the rear of the frame, and wonder if I could modify the tray with a steel 2” tube and additional bracing, and use it with this new receiver...? I know it would probably require side bracing with straps, that is OK with me.

Thoughts?

EDIT 10/16/18: From Jason:

It is only available with the 1.25" opening. It would be about $850.00 for the receiver and shipping to Washington. I believe the reason they didn't bolt anything to the crossmember below is that they felt it may be too low to the ground but that is a guess as I did not assist with the new design. I do know that it was designed to hold a bike rack only up to 100lbs max.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

From the photos I've seen I see no reason why you could not modify the structure to suit your needs. As you have removed the spare tire cover, easy removal of the unit is not a big issue. The cross support structure looks to be sufficiently  sized to handle a 2" receiver and a 100 lbs. or so. If I was to do the mod, I would probably leave the current receiver in place, and bolt what I want over the top. Two bolts through the main support, and two through the current 1.25 structure. - very similar to the old setup that allows removal of the support frame. Perhaps the real issue is amount of weight the support can safely handle. The leverage on the receiver needs to be considered. From my experience, Oliver under rates, and over builds these type of structures, however, 200 lbs. hanging a foot or so off the receiver poses more downward pressure than a deadweight load.

I doubt Oliver will change to a 2" - I'm sure the 1.25 was specifically  chosen to keep people from overloading the support structure. People being people.... I don't see the new design as an improvement, but a response to customers asking for a "bike" mount. NOT as a heaver duty mounting structure for "other" loads.

If you wanted to carry much higher weights, I would go back to the original Oliver design, with two 2" supports and design from there. If I was considering hauling a small cycle or such, that is the way I would go....

I really enjoy welding and fabricating these types of things, but as I am trying to reduce my tools and such, a nice new welding rig (MIG/TIG) is not in the cards (so says my SO) so I will just do without.

RB

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

The new version looks to be the original one with bolted rather than welded connections.  I'm assuming that they may have had a problem with cracking weld joints on the original, and version 2 was pretty bulky and heavy, though it has advantages of it's own.  The newest one doesn't look like it will be any easier to install or remove and it does still block the spare tire.

I've yet to use our V2 rack for bikes.  On our last trip, I put a Rhino Rack tray on it for extra storage, but we didn't really use the extra stuff we brought, so I doubt we'll do that again.

Thanks for the comments. I understand why Oliver chose a smaller receiver size, but then again you could just plug in an adapter stinger to fit a 2 inch accessory ... it would be way worse in terms of leverage than just having a 2 inch one there from the start. If they want to limit the weight, then give us a big hole and a big warning placard, "Exceed Max Load at Your Risk."

I am comfortable building my own from good materials sourced locally, but if I could get a ready made one from the factory that could save me some time, effort and experimenting. Here is the pic from the website. The forum seems to be operating well again.

And these four below were posted by someone a while back, sorry I cannot remember the name, but thank you.

EDIT; I cannot post any pics, there are still issues... and I also cannot message Matt Duncan. Could somebody please try to get him and tell him there are still problems? Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Yay, pictures load now, but very slooooowly (over 30 seconds for a small file size). I added a pic to the first post, and also a comment there from Jason about cost and design.

These off topic forum comments can be deleted as far as I am concerned.

John Davies

Spokane WA

IMG_6476.thumb.jpg.f801f11c447dd8f293b7075d6c97c596.jpg

• 4 months later...

I ordered the 1.25" receiver for my April 04, 2019, Oliver delivery. My plan is to attach a Pro Series 63155 Rambler Hitch Cargo Carrier for 1-1/4” Receiver HERE to carry a Yeti Tundra 75 cooler HERE and, if space remains in the 20" x 48" cargo carrier, my Solo Stove bonfire pit HERE. Please provide comments regarding this plan, pointing out things I might need to consider.  I also ordered the Oliver storage basket on the hitch to carry other items, such as Honda 2200i generator and fuel can. (this is the first time attempting to insert links into my message, apologies if did not work).

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

• Moderators

KWR -

I certainly would want to watch the total amount of weight that you are loading on the "shelf".  Surely the "Solo" should not weigh that much, but the Yeti 75 could get fairly heavy (loaded).

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

So does the new 1.25″ receiver hitch have to be removed to get the spare cover and tire off the trailer?

Yes, or moved back several inches ... you have to be able to slide the cover rearwards to clear the tire. Maybe perhaps possibly you could remove the spare without disturbing the rack if you left the cover at home, as I do. If you have TPMS, as you should, you can install a fifth transmitter onto the spare tire so you don’t have to take everything apart just to see if it has enough air....so removing the rack would be only in case of a flat tire or rotation, or for a routine inspection. You must look inside every now and then to make sure it is secure. With no cover installed this takes five seconds.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Great, I'm glad I own every tool known to mankind, now I just have to carry it with me. One thing I noticed about the hitch is that the 1.25" receiver part looks like it is mounted to the hitch framework with two U-Bolts, couldn't you just remove it and replace it with a short piece of receiver tubing to have a 2.0" mounting. I have seen these for sale, maybe it was etrailer who has them, they were steel, but maybe someone has them in aluminum. Also maybe you can just remove the 1.25" bracket and the cover for the spare will come off, don't have a trailer to look yet, so this is just an observation from looking at the picture.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

The big cross member is too close to the fiberglass, the whole rack will have to be moved back or removed entirely. I expect you could install a 2" steel receiver, it should work fine as long as you make sure there is sealant underneath to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion. If I were doing that I would have a local shop build me one out of stainless. Oliver stayed with a smaller one in an attempt to limit how much weight and stress you apply. I am pretty sure they don't want you to add a motorcycle carrier and a Harley.... They probably used aluminum for the receiver so it can't rust and leave ugly stains. They build this stuff to last decades.

The tire cover does not lift straight up, as you might hope for, it has to be pulled rearward a few inches first so the center flange can clear the center threaded rod. See here: http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/howw-to-service-your-spare-tire-without-removing-it/

The cover has a flat center section with a hole in the middle, that rests on top of the wheel retaining bar. The cable and lock are mine - Oliver does not provide a way to lock the spare wheel, nor can you use a regular wheel lock because there are no studs.

I took my cover off the day after getting home from delivery, I cleaned waxed and stretch-wrapped it for long term storage for the next owner.

John Davies

Spokane WA