Custom made 2" Receiver for Oliver by Babcock Metals

bugeyedriver

• Moderators

Camping in Wyoming, I met Rob & Amy, co-owners of BABCOCK METALS, of Talmage, UT.  Rob is a world class welder / fabricator who does work on major industrial products and household furnishings.  He also loves the challenge of creating custom designed solutions for customers' unique needs . . . such as an elegant and strong 2" receiver hitch for the back of my Ollie which allows unhindered access to the sewer hose inside the rear bumper and removal of  the spare tire cover.

Let me show you his creation . . .

It started with two machined stainless steel brackets for the exterior of the frame, cut to permit the bumper to swing down without interference. The brackets each had three holes to accommodate a 5/8 inch hardened grade 8 bolts.  Inside the frame, he added six solid blocks of aluminum which had also been drilled for the 5/8 inch grade 8 bolts.

Using stainless steel curved tubing with a 2 inch ID, Rob measured the angles required to ensure clearance would permit access to the rear bumper compartment and spare tire.

Finally, he made a 2" receiver, curved exactly for welding onto the stainless steel pipe.  His artistry at welding is evident in the finished product.  After applying a brushed finish to the exterior of the hitch, Rob installed it onto The Wonder Egg.  The hitch fits the rear portion of the frame perfectly and each of the six grade 8, hardened steel bolts was snugged down with 200 ft lbs of torque.  I feel very confident in the ability of this custom hitch to do the job.

If you ever think that you may be traveling near eastern Utah and are in search for a hitch solution for your Ollie, contact Babcock Metals (678.480.0204) and I bet they could create just what your are looking for.

custom-hitch-brackets.thumb.jpg.3c0eba9606930d020d9a8339c452d44f.jpg

hitch-bracket.thumb.jpg.b35dc1960c051d9f5fec4ed41dc49e9a.jpg

precision-cut-aliminum-block.thumb.jpg.62bb0ee9640957a66656d3a6f87e2190.jpg

aluminum-blocks.thumb.jpg.49502de74fe1be3539c09d23673bf42e.jpg

elegant-curves.thumb.jpg.9380d8438afd43261db5238b97872590.jpg

hitch-for-Ollie.thumb.jpg.3163a28cd3b01329053d03e4eb544238.jpg

finished-hitch.thumb.jpg.eb25704bfdff4fd975bed088e5e05933.jpg

• Thanks 9

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Bugeyedriver:

Very nice! Looks very sturdy, not to mention "artfully" executed. Clears the spare tire for removal, allows for the rear sewer access, and allows for multiple after market fitments. Perfect.

About what does Babcock charge for this receiver, what do you suppose is the load rating, what does the fixture weigh- approximately?

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
Bugeyedriver:

Very nice! Looks very sturdy, not to mention “artfully” executed. Clears the spare tire for removal, allows for the rear sewer access, and allows for multiple after market fitments. Perfect.

About what does Babcock charge for this receiver, what do you suppose is the load rating, what does the fixture weigh- approximately?

RB

RB ,

The hitch itself weighs about 25 pounds.  While I cannot vouch for its exact load rating, I watched as Rob stood on top of the attached hitch and it was solid as a rock.  He used the same welding techniques he applies to extreme high pressure pipelines used in industrial applications.

As to the cost . . . custom designed and executed fabrication does not come cheap.  I believe you would find the price somewhere around $1000.  But for a trailer that will last a lifetime, amortized across the years, I believe the quality gained is well worth the cost.  I know it is for me.

Pete

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Pete, that is so cool, it is gorgeous. I remember talking to you about this, and I am so glad you found somebody talented enough to make this work.

I have been thinking about bolting steel to aluminum to make a receiver, but could not figure out how to deal with the different rates of thermal expansion - aluminum has a  coefficient of expansion nearly three times as high. But the design of your hitch with its curves and 90 degree frame brackets will deal with that very nicely by simple flexing. That is so very elegant. Did he mention this to you?

Please post a pic with your bike and rack on it. Do you have a way to tie off the bike, or is that not needed?

I think $1000 is entirely in line. You have to pay for artistry. The new Oliver receiver is almost that much, shipped, without installation!

Here is your finishing touch... https://www.realtruck.com/bully-hitch-step/

Regards.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

This just blows me away. You can’t buy a 2 inch receiver tube in stainless, I have looked, so no worries, he just welded one up from 2” plate...

95593D82-EB56-4C4F-A833-C98066077E97.jpeg.6b5dcf0ae47c0842211ac695e975ce1d.jpeg

He even gave you a threaded hole for a tensioning bolt.... I would comission him for any custom work, without any reservations.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Here are some pictures of the hitch with a bike rack and loaded bike.  The rack I chose was the 2" Super Duty Single, by 1UP USA.  It does not require additional tie down points for the bike and the bike is held rock solid over bumps and exhibits no wiggling at all. It can be expanded to hold up to 3 bikes.

I appreciate the ease of loading and unloading, no need for tie-downs, and the great clearance from the ground and trailer.

Pete

ps Larger pics added . . . (The 1UP-USA rank is not safety pinned into the rack, it is secured through an internal tensioning bearing which is built into the rack)

stowed-position1.thumb.jpg.53ebb3489d001c0d602b60dea0af459e.jpg

ready-to-receive-bike1.thumb.jpg.79acfd602e7f92c9c97e96eec3913d23.jpg

bike-loaded1.thumb.jpg.5b6615d2b43b88ef411b380ddb51cc13.jpg

trailer-bike-clearance1.thumb.jpg.c99a42f590f657e5eab9f4eaf1cb4ebb.jpg

Here are some pictures of the hitch with a bike rack and loaded bike.

Pete, that rack is a great choice - it is definitely one of the very top choices..... But your pics are teeny - can you try uploading bigger versions?

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

Cool, that is gorgeous. Are your tail/ brake lights adequately visible? Have you thought about adding some extra small ones on the back of the rack?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators

Cool, that is gorgeous. Are your tail/ brake lights adequately visible? Have you thought about adding some extra small ones on the back of the rack?

John Davies

Spokane WA

The LED tail lights are really bright.  I am betting these will do adequately for me.  I will let you know if "Mr Smokey" ever tells me otherwise.

(I'm going to take the rest of your comment and open a new thread on E-Bikes in order to maintain on topic here.  The E-Bike phenomenon is worthy of its own thread.)

• 2 weeks later...

Pete,  Thanks for sharing.  We have e-bikes and the same American rack that you do.  Total weight would be about 175 lbs. and I just don't trust the Oliver bike rack bracket.   I was considering having them upgrade me to the newer version.  Be very interested to hear how you make out with this.  Would you please give us a "ride" report after you have a few hundred miles with the rack.

I considered putting some kind of bungee set up on the bikes in case the American arms loosened up.  Those ratchets are pretty strong but you never know.

Thanks and hope to see you in May at the next rally.

Scotty

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg