Fiberglass finish detail

It's not my intention to start a post complaining about Oliver attention to detail when it comes to the overall finish of the fiberglass shell - its smoothness, shine, or overall quality of the appearance, but rather to ask if anyone else has found a similar issue. As I  carefully washed my Ollie - intending to really get it clean, ready it for an overall wax (Rejex) job, I noticed several areas, splotches of graininess, where the fiberglass was not as polished as other areas. Certainly not as smooth as the boat hulls I have owned. These would only be visible under the right light, right angle,  looking for a "defect" kind of inspection.

I thought a little light hand rubbing with some light compound would take care of it, but soon decided to try my buffer and some Mequires Ultimate compound - now that was the ticket - I had a nice slick, shiny, grain free surface.  In short,  I ended up buffing the entire top half - up to the waterfall line of the roof -  and then applying the Rejex. I am certain the O will never look this good again. Once I finish the top - roof- I plan to do the lower half.

I also found the Mequires worked well on the window frames and the "black" streaking comes of with a light hand rub. (second time doing this)

I am probably a little to critical "weird" when it comes to paint finishes, especially on vehicles and such, but I am curious if I am the only one who noticed a similar issue.  I honestly believe a "normal" owner likely wouldn't notice what I'm describing.

It fear it will ending up looking to pretty to take out on the road - too bad - it's gonna get used and  dirty!

RB

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I detailed “Mouse” a while back and did not feel the need to polish first. I pressure washed and then hand washed with a strong concentration of Dawn, to strip off any previous wax, wiped down with 3M Adhesive Cleaner (bugs, sap and tar) and then applied Rejex. It looked stunning and the finish is holding up very well.

I have received compliments about the gelcoat by boat owners who know what to look for. Looking down the side in good light shows no ripples, dips, dull, or uneven areas, just a smooth even glossy surface. One person commented, “Oliver sure knows how do fiberglass!” I agree. They have had decades of practice building high end bathroom tubs and enclosures, and that experience is evident in their trailers. While I continue to have reservations about how certain parts of the trailers are put together, the shell and frame are not in that category.

9061D5BC-EB8D-45A2-9A25-4BD99660D706.jpeg.ed3bc603c81be8807e2b1e55d12c2b7a.jpeg

I suspect that the final buffing at the factory is a little variable depending who does it, but I certainly have zero complaints about my trailer. It makes me smile every time I see it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We have two spots on our Ollie that are like that.  One is on the roof and is about the size of my hand, and the other is on the turned-in area by the door.  I asked Oliver to polish both spots when I was last there.  They got most of the one by the door (not all) and didn't do the roof at all.  It's hard to see either but they're obvious to the touch and much more difficult to keep clean.  To my untrained eye, both spots look like they could be repaired areas that didn't get finished completely.

• Thanks 1

Russell, I have found a few places like you describe, one or 2 on top, each smaller than a dinner plate and a few small places in the curved areas down low next to the frame.

Bill

• Thanks 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Coming up on 1 1/2 years of ownership on hull#219 I have to concur with John, i haven't found any flaws in my gel coat after 4 waxes. A good comparison of quality in fiberglass gel coat is right on your trailer, compare the difference between your entry door ( supplied by lippert) and the surrounding body.

Steve

• Thanks 1

STEVEnBETTY

A good comparison of quality in fiberglass gel coat is right on your trailer, compare the difference between your entry door ( supplied by lippert) and the surrounding body.

No doubt, the door is not in the same universe of fiberglass construction as the Oliver.

To my untrained eye, both spots look like they could be repaired areas that didn’t get finished completely.

I had several spots that needed wet sanding with 600, 1000,1200 then polish to get them out. I found these on my first inspection after getting the O home. Looks ok now.

The other areas I mentioned were just lapses in the finishing process, they are all history now, the Ollie looks really good in its nice new coat of Rejex. I hope the stuff lasts as advertised - I have better things to do than -wipe on-- wipe off.

Appreciate the feedback.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201