Old Question Maybe?

Popcorn-Billy

Hello,

I'm widowed and travel alone so I don't think I need an Elite II. The little 18'-5" Ollie would seem to be fine for me. The question comes, when I consider the total package. I currently drive a 2013 4Runner and it's perking along just fine. It spends most of its life in my garage even though it has 125,000 miles on it. I've owned it since it had 4,800 miles on it, so it's very much a "known quantity" and it's extremely reliable.

I'd like to use it for towing an 18'-5" Oliver. The question comes, when I look at the 5,000 GVWR for the little coach. I travel light. Really. I travel globally in one carry-on for three weeks at a time and see no reason why I'd be over packing an Oliver.

Has anyone weighed their fully loaded Elite and, if so, how much did it weigh? I like to travel with so water, just so I can stop wherever the mood strikes me but could travel with light tanks.

Your opinions are always welcome. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Bill

Never weighed my 2018 Elite but I can tell you that if I had it to do over (which I will in two more years) I would have gotten the Tundra instead of the Tacoma.  6800 lbs tow rate is just not enough in my opinion. The 4-Runner at 5,000 lbs for sure is not. I know some people tow their Elite with a Tacoma and less, but my experience has shown me that it just isn't worth the safety issues or comfort level. I love my Tacoma but I am going to have to upgrade eventually. Flat lands and straight roads handle well (I live in Florida), but real mountains and rough terrain needs a bigger beast. Heading over the Rockies will have to wait now until I get a more muscular rig.

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

Bill, this topic comes up regularly.... do I have enough truck?

The bottom line is that a marginal TV that may work OK in the east simply runs out of steam in the more challenging conditions of the high plains and mountains. 30 or 40 mph head winds, extreme grades, blistering temperatures ... you need an ample margin of power and brakes.

I agree that your older 4Runner would be adequate, but only sometimes. Be safe, IMHO you should buy a half ton pickup or full sized diesel/  V8 SUV. It will make those long hours on the road much safer and enjoyable. Either sell your beloved 4Runner or give it to a deserving family member to enjoy for another 200,000 miles. Those are great vehicles, and nice ones are in very high demand.

Take a look at the 2013 or later Land Cruiser 200s. They are built to the very highest standard, have the bulletproof Tundra drivetrain, and are extremely comfy trucks, and a Certified one with less than 100k miles would be fantastic way to tow an Elite. You would not need the Anderson hitch, which works very well, but frankly is a royal pain in the butt to use. If I were not married, I would trade my Elite II in on an Elite, for better towing dynamics. For exploring remote areas in comfort without the trailer in tow, a 200 is matchless.

Big engine, big truck, small trailer. That is the formula.

Welcome to the forum.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Bill -

"bugeyedriver" on this Forum has many miles of direct experience with both a Tacoma and a Ford F-150.  You might send him a private message asking him for his real world experience.

I used to tow with a Tacoma and it is still my favorite truck for all things except for towing.  One year while headed west across Kansas I had a 40 mph headwind.  My Tacoma was towing a stick built camper that weighted right at 3,500 lbs.  My MPG was 4 - yes, that is not a typo - 4mpg.  This meant that I had to stop for gas every 120 miles or so.  A big royal pain!

My current truck (a 2017 F-150) has the larger gas tank and even with a strong headwind and towing the larger Elite two at just over 6,000 lbs I still get north of 10 mpg.  A more comfortable ride too.  My only complaint is that these trucks are big.  But, I'd rather deal with that problem and have a wider safety margin.

Good luck on both the choice of TV and on getting your own Oliver (soon I hope).

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks all,

Quite frankly, if I need a full size truck; I'll just opt for a one-ton RAM with a high GVWR and load a truck camper on it. I was trying to hold on to my minimalist ethic but it appears I cannot. I'm also looking at trading my 4Runner in on a RAM 6.7L Cummins 4x4 with a 6 speed manual and a 10,100 pound GVWR. I can load a Northern Lite 8-11 SE on that and not have the hassle of towing and be more boondocking capable. Thanks for helping me make a decision.

Best regards,

Bill

• Moderators

Talk to bug eye driver/ Pete.  He towed the little ollie about 100k with the Taco.

Truck campers are great where you need 4x4  . But, you're always carrying that weight and height.   You can easily leave the trailer at the campsite, and go wander. Well, I guess you can do that with a truck camper, too,  but, I don't think it's as easy as a solo operation..

If I were ever to go  different from the little Ollie, I'd get a 4x4 van conversion.  BUT,  that's me. Smaller is better,  in my book.

We picked up our Oliver with our Volvo xc90, 2.5 liter turbocharged 5 cylinder. Great on flat highway.  Some hills. Dropped mpg by  about half.   So, way over 4. Maybe 12? 15? But never tried it on the mountains.  Thought the vehicle and trailer too heavy. My 2005 Silverado 1500 stepside was great. Nimble and fun, but 2 wheel drive.

The ram 1500 hemi 4x4.. don't even know that the trailer is back there.

We weighed our Ollie at a cat scale in 2009, on our way home from a trip. I'll look it up. I know it was under 4000. In thinking 3600ish, loaded for camping, but I honestly don't remember.

The ollie shorty is great for  solo camping. For this couple,  too. The trailers all live big on the outside.    But, never had a Toyota tow vehicle,   so I can't comment on that.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Quite frankly, if I need a full size truck; I’ll just opt for a one-ton RAM with a high GVWR and load a truck camper on it. I was trying to hold on to my minimalist ethic but it appears I cannot. I’m also looking at trading my 4Runner in on a RAM 6.7L Cummins 4×4 with a 6 speed manual and a 10,100 pound GVWR. I can load a Northern Lite 8-11 SE on that and not have the hassle of towing and be more boondocking capable. Thanks for helping me make a decision.

The truck camper option is great for a single person, it is definitely way more maneuverable. You won’t worry about not being able to turn around if you encounter a deadfall or unexpected road closure. This is a constant worry for me as I explore backroads. Plus it is the only safe way to camp through the winter months.

I originally intended to put a Northern Light on a Ram 3500, but finally decided that the harsh ride and marginal build quality of the truck was unacceptable. Especially with that boat anchor diesel engine, it really loads down the front end. Admittedly my truck was a Gen 3. The newer ones ride a lot better. But they will still beat you up. The only Ram I personally would consider would be Power Wagon, but you can’t put much of a camper in the bed.

Have you seen the new Earth Cruiser slide-in campers? They make a version for full sized trucks. ... Very neat and super well built.... https://earthcruiser.com/our-vehicles/earthcruiser-gzl/

I really like the Northern Lite campers. They are definitely solidly built. But definitely not as good as an Ollie.... The XP Camper V1 is way better than an Ollie but you need a ute tray and at least $120k, plus the truck.

Good luck in whichever path you take.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We had a pop up camper, before the Ollie, and if we were staying more then 3-4 days, we would unload the camper at the campsite. Yes, it was a pain to unload and load, but it was worth it to not be hauling the camper around the mountains. It worked well for us when we were doing the camping with horses thing, but horses are gone and we moved on to another style of camping. Our Durango does great, but the down side is the low clearance level, so that is some restriction.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Our Durango does great, but the down side is the low clearance level, so that is some restriction.

That is fixable, no worries! this Grand Cherokee kit fits your truck... https://www.rocky-road.com/wk2-lift-kit.html

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Bill,

I weighed the Ollie I with full water and supplies for a multi month excursion and came up with 3900 pounds. It was pulled 111,000 miles with a 2008 Tacoma Prerunner which had a V6 4.0L engine.  Although it was not a 4x4, I put an Eaton Industries limited slip differential in and it was great on steep gravel roads when needed.  I allowed the rig to slow down a bit going up the mountains so the engine wouldn't be screaming, and enjoyed being able to manually shift into lower gears while heading down the backside.  The truck now has 240,000 miles on it and is running perfectly.  But . . . it pulled the Ollie from Florida to Washington and California to Newfoundland and has earned its retirement to become a local driver and eventually go to a grandkid.

I decided to go with an F150 FX4, for a bit more storage space and better mountain performance.  It maintained the posted speed limit effortlessly while going uphill on this year's trip to Alaska. The bells and whistles are pretty cool, as well.  My trailer's fresh water tank is usually full, to lower the center of gravity and give me more options of where to stop for camping.

One other reason I swapped from Toyota to Ford, was the new Tacomas have a smaller displacement engine, a 3.5L, and has more torque than my 2008 4.0L. Because I tend to keep my vehicles a very long time, I wasn't sure how the smaller engine would do with the very large towing requirement  I would be putting on it.  The F150 5.0L suits my needs very well and it got the same, or slightly better mileage than the Taco on this year's trip.

Pete

• Thanks 2

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg