Propane changeover regulator stuck

geO

• Moderator+
I changed out a propane bottle today and was surprised to see the indicator gauge stuck on red when I opened the valve.

This sounds like normal operation. When the bottle is empty and it auto changes, the indicator goes red to let you know that one is out of propane.

Same thing happens if you unhook a bottle. The valve sees that hose as empty.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I’ve had mine stick on red after swapping tanks. Turning the valve off and on again has always reset it.

Having a backup regulator and set of pigtails is a good idea, and if you carry a set of pigtails then I think inspecting them for cracks and leaks is probably sufficient, rather than replacing them every year.

I’ve seen solid copper pigtails for sale.

• Moderators

George -

If this were mine I would first remove and then reinstall both tanks.  Then I would move the switch over lever back and forth a few times.  Then, assuming that neither of the first two have corrected the problem, I would GENTLY tap the pressure regulator and move the switch over lever.  Of course I am assuming that you are sure that you have propane in the tanks and that the tanks are in the "open" position.

If none of this works and your operating temperature is not too cold, I would then assume that you have a bad regulator and would replace it.

Good luck!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks for the reply Bill. I did exactly what you said yesterday and still stuck on red. I refilled one tank yesterday and the other was not completely empty. When I changed over it than went red. Got another regulator coming from Amazon.

• Moderators

George -

Bummer!  These regulators don't go bad very often (at least in my experience).  In all the campers I've had over the past twenty years not one of them has failed.  I don't use the "automatic" switch over feature in that I prefer to know when a tank is emptied.  Certainly there have been times when cold weather was forecast for the night and I knew that the tank I was using was getting low on propane.  In these circumstances I simply switched tanks before going to bed and then switched back the next morning.  There was only one time when the red window failed to turn green and that was corrected by shutting off the full tank and quickly turning it back on.  Obviously it is that change in pressure that is causing the window to show the green and it would seem that yours got stuck for some reason.  I'm sure that they could be repaired but I would also think that for the price of a new one the repair cost is probably at least as much money - if not more.  I hate adding to the landfill but that is the way it is particularly since even finding someone qualified to work on one of these is problematical.  At least the removal and install of the new one is not difficult.  Just be sure to use sealing tape or compound.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Mark - I thought of that but didn't think that it was very likely for both bottle to get stuck at the same time.  However, I've heard of stranger things and it is worth a check.

Bill

• 10 months later...

Had a 30 pound propane tank filled today. I placed it back in the Oliver. I turned it on slowly and lighted the stove in the Oliver to bleed any air out of lines. The regulator gauge turned green. After turning the stove off, it went back to half green and half red. I retried and always got the same. The other tank shows solid green when I try it What have I done wrong? Why is it half green and half red?

propane1.thumb.jpg.d189bd768711613d45964d9fa281a60a.jpg

propane2.thumb.jpg.c5fc16827e51c1a23a3077216f69d991.jpg

• Moderators

Have you tried switching the position of the tanks? Also, I noticed in your pics that the control lever is pointed to the left in both pics - I assume that you have moved it to the right and then back to the left just to see if you still get the half red indication?

Bill

Bill, It took me numerous attempts and the regulator gauge is now showing solid green. I kept lighting the stove to clear any possible air from the gas lines. The propane regulator  indicator gauge would go green and then go to half green/red upon turning the stove burners off. I did this about 6 times. Somewhat baffled by this, I then turned on the hot water heater with propane switch heating the water. After approximately a half hour, the regulator indicator turned green and has remained green every since. Not sure if air can get in the hot water tank gas line or not.  With that said, minor issue has been corrected. Thanks!

• Moderators

"air" can get into any line (and does) when the tanks are removed from a line. And, I'm sure that there is a small percentage of air in the tanks themselves. However, the gauge in question would only show the situation on the tank - not the lines. I'm thinking that the most obvious problem here was simply a gauge that was stuck and by "working" it several times you got it unstuck. In any case - glad you got it fixed.

Bill