Table pedestals

jam49

Telescoping table pedestals - What if the table pedestals were cut in two pieces and the top part holding the table could slide down into the bottom part? The two pieces could be held together by a receiver hitch (easily removed) when wanting to lower the table to make a bed.The metal pole could be extra support for the bed but just as important, the pole wouldn't have to be moved anywhere. It would already be stored yet functional at the same time. Is this idea crazy or what? Only 127 days til pickup! I can hardly sleep!

I love this idea! We had a very similar design on our table in the T@b, and it was awesome!

Speaking of table legs.. has anyone else had problems with the table leg getting stuck in the receiver part on the table? We had this happen during our shakedown night, and Oliver replaced the leg and receiver for us. But it's still happening (to the point that we have to unscrew the mount from the floor to convert the table to bed). Thank goodness we keep the bed down most of the time.. but.

Oliver is aware of the continuing problem.. but curious if it's happening for anyone else, and if there are other solutions. Spraying graphite in the receiver hasn't seemed to help.

- Cherie

• Moderators

Good idea about the telescoping table legs. Our rear bed stays down most of the time with the leg rattlin' round in the closet. We use the area under the bed for sterelite containers full of "STUFF". If the table leg telescoped and stayed in place we could change the size of the sterelite containers to slide past the leg.

>

Cherie, our table legs have been in and out quite a bit and have never stuck. Could there be burr of some kind ?

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Jam49, when we play dominos on a rainy day, and that ivory is a' slappin' th' table, my ankles might get a boo-boo on a pin. How about one of them tiny rounded snap-ball thingys ? You know, they are spring loaded from the inside and pop out through a hole in the outer half. That way the outside tube would be smooth, with two small holes for the ball to lock into. One hole for the highest and one hole for the lowest points.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Mountainborn,

I thought of a receiver hitch pin because I felt that it would be sturdy. Now that I hear how much abuse your poor table gets I know I want sturdy anchor! I know that pin holds a loaded cattle trailer and now, not soon enough, will hold our Oliver securely. Sounds like you and your buddies really give that table a workout! I have refused to play dominoes for 40 years because I have no hope of winning. My husband has no mercy to let me win! Anyway, if anybody has more suggestions that we can share with the wonderful Oliver crew, please share.

• Moderators

Sounds like you and Butcherknife need to team up against your DH and I. Butcherknife can slap them dominoes and close in for the kill ! Seriously, though, we play several different types of dominoes. One of our favorites is chicken train. It looks like this:

04-18-07_1945.jpg

• Moderators

Now this game is more fun when played outside under a bucket light on the cement picnic table, But, sometimes those fickle Spring time showers will have you playing dominoes inside where a sturdy table support leg is necessary !

04-18-07_1944.jpg

I'm not sure exactly how to describe the table in the Tab - and since it is currently 2000+ miles away, I can't readily get you pics. All I recall is that there was a lever we pulled that hinged it down, and it was pretty easy to use and pretty hefty too. It was a very nice design.

We also heavily utilize the space under the bed for storage - I even have a plastic drawer under it that I use as my folded clothing (shirts, shorts, pants, etc.). So I admit, it has been kinda nice to not have to worry about table legs to work around when planning our storage space.

I absolutely *love* the Oliver table tops.. they hand make them in the factory with textured finish that is gorgeous, so they're very unique for the RV industry. And they look so stylish and non-RV. But the pole system is a bit annoying as compared to what we were used to in the Tab (albeit a standard table part for the RV industry.)

- Cherie

• Moderators

Mountainborn, is that "MONEY" I see on them there Domeno's? I tell ya, you can't hide money. Gambling like that and all right there in the open.
:o

Son, Son, you are one eagle eyed rascal ! :shock:

Today I asked Robert if Oliver had looked into other mounting options for the street side table for two. I wanted to know because I will sleep on the street side twin bed and will have to convert it back and forth between a table and a bed every day we are in our Oliver. The rear of our trailer will not have the big table but the twin bed option. My wife will sleep there.

He said they were looking into it but had come up with nothing better at this time. So, does the side table for two have the same issues the rear table for four has? Are the pedestals the same length and diameter for both tables?

BTW, why was it considered necessary to lock the "Weight" thread? I think Robert wanted to get back to all of us on the Oliver forum regarding this matter, once he got the information calculated. I guess he can start a new thread.

As RVers, I don't think anything is more important to our safety (and others safety) than towing our RV's responsibly, within the weight limitations of our RV's and our tow vehicles. I think forum discussions along those lines are to be encouraged, not discouraged.

Am I wrong?

• Moderators

DougI said:

BTW, why was it considered necessary to lock the "Weight" thread?

>

DougI, maybe you missed it in the topic you mentioned. Three moderators gave their reasons.

Here are mine, just incase you missed them:

>

This topic has wandered off of the origonal subject. It seems to go in continual circles, and is to the point where a member is trying to establish policy for these forums. Speciffics of enginering items should be addressed by the Professionals at the factory. Please direct your questions there. This topic is closed.

>

As a responsible member of these forums, I am sure that you want correct information from the factory, not misquotes of important data such as had happened in that thread.

No, I didn't miss your comments. I read them. I read all of them. What I must have missed are the misquotes of important data. The data I posted in the thread came from the factory (Robert Partee). Other data posted came from forum members who posted the weight of their Olivers, which came from either the scales or the factory label on their Oliver.

I'm sorry, but I did not see the problem. I guess I don't need to. Unless I am misunderstanding you, you want myself and every other forum member to refrain from posting about Oliver weights and tow vehicles. I don't understand that sentiment, but I guess I don't have to. I'm confused and disappointed about this.

I was hoping the Forum would be a place where we could post and discuss whatever information interested us about the Oliver. If someone posts misleading or false information about the Oliver, I assumed it would be detected and corrected by another Forum member who knew the facts or by a representative from Oliver who knows the facts, and could share them with all of us. I suppose I assumed too much. I suppose I was dead wrong.

• Moderators

Please Doug, you must understand. This is not the official web site. We were lucky to have a factory represenative here from time to time, as their time permitted. We are not the professionals, the factory is. By the way this this thread has been hijacked away from the origonal poster. It is no longer about Table pedestals as was intended.

• Moderators

Mountainborn, I just noticed you deleted your bolded warning to me at the end of your last post not to reopen the thread topic again.

Thanks! That was a good move on your part.

Please don't make this a personal thing. I deleted that sentence because I thought you were a good guy that had just been caught up in the moment.

I know I would never rely solely on information I read on the forum to make any important decisions about our Oliver. I would always confirm any important data or information with the Oliver factory before reaching any conclusions or decisions.

I think other Forum posters are just as wise as myself, and would do likewise.

And you would be correct about the good guy part, but incorrect about the caught up in the moment thing.

I think we are all good guys and are capable of discussing things openly and frankly, and can deal with misleading information in a open and constructive manner, without locking threads.

Now, if you are telling me that Oliver will not allow us to post openly and frankly on this Forum, that is a different matter. I hope that is not the case, and I seriously doubt it is the case. If I'm wrong about this, then please PM me.

Chuck, I have no issues with anyone, and I am not preventing anyone from posting about pedestals in this or any other thread.

I am posting in this thread ONLY because the other thread was locked and I can no longer post there. If you or someone else is willing to discuss my concern about posting issues related to the Oliver openly and constructively, rather than simply locking threads to shut down discussions, then I'll be happy to do so in emails, PM.'s, or phone.

My email is: felpa41@mac.com and my phone number is 512-760-7214, I'd appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with any moderator willing to talk to me. I have no need to make the discussion public on the Forum. I'll await contact from a moderator.

Thanks,

Doug