F-150 Question

Philips53

F-150 as a TV and want it to be (very) capable of towing an Oliver

You have not  indicated which Oliver your considering, which may make a difference in TV selection.

Several Oliver owners tow with a F-150 and have great experiences. I'm not positive, but I believe most have the 3.5EB

I put 30k miles on a 2016 3.5 EB, it was a very nice powerplant, and given the right platform, I would highly recommend it for towing both  Oliver models.

Engine performance stats not withstanding, one must also consider/compare towing weight specifications: Max tow, tongue weights, etc.

My experience has taught me that undersized powerplants rarely perform as advertised and leave the driver unsatisfied in most TV situations.

Good luck in your search.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

I've had two 3.5 liter  Ford F-150's (2011 and 2017) and both have performed without a "hitch" (sorry) in towing my Elite II.  All of the extra specs of the 3.5 versus the 2.7 come in handy for a more relaxed towing experience.  Yes, the 2.7 would probably do the job, but, in those situations where you need a bit more grunt - like merging onto an Interstate - or a bit more load capacity, or a  bit more …  the 3.5 can more than do the job.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

want it to be (very) capable of towing an Oliver (in the future)

Buy the bigger engine, you will be delighted, especially out West in the high mountains. With the smaller one, the truck will never be more than adequate... Resale value should be higher too.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We have the 3.5 and it tows the LE2 very well.  The pro backup assist is pretty awesome.   Get about 20 mpg highway without towing and 12 mpg with the LE2.  I would opt for the larger engine especially if you are going to the mountains.

scotty

• Thanks 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

I thought that someone on the forum towed with the 2.7. It would be good to hear from them. Personally, I think it would be fine, especially since the 10-speed transmission seems to do a really good job of keeping the engine in its power band.  And the numbers don’t lie - it’s a strong little engine.

Having said that, you’ll always find situations where you want more power, regardless how much you have on tap. Even with the raptor engine, there have been times when I’ve wanted more and I’m sure the diesel 250 owners here will say the same.   But of course every time I stop for gas, I wish I had the 2.7, lol.

Actually, I’m interested to know how their new small diesel tows in a 150.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

My brother bought a new f150 this year. I loved driving it. Awesome  driving machine.  My sister in law drove it from Minnesota to  Florida,  trailer in tow, and didn't have a single issue.

I'm suffering from seat envy. That truck sits and rides very carlike, with a lot of power, and mega back seat leg room. Our 2008 dodge pales...

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I can add a recommendation for that 3.5 F150. My 2016 model has been flawless. I bought it with the spray bed liner installed (do not get the cheap plastic one). The only aftermarket item I added is a hard cover for the bed. Expensive, but essential to protect goods from weather and theft.

We have been through the West without any trouble, pulling up mountains, down mountain roads (which I find more challenging for the driver), and in strong crosswinds. Love my truck!

• Thanks 2

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)

https://www.americantrucks.com/everything-about-the-ecoboost-f150.html

Those of you with the older Direct Injection engines, have you had carbon issues and how often was a visit to the dealer required for intake cleaning? DI engines are highly efficient when new, but they do eventually foul intake valves....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

For what its worth - I ran my first 3.5 Eco-boost DI engine for right at 60,000 miles prior to selling it and getting a new one.  I never had a problem with it.  However, I understand that those engines didn't usually start to have problems until they had over 100,000 miles on them.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"