Jeep Wrangler Towing an Elite

NowrNever

• Moderator+

Our first tow vehicle for our (then) new 2008 Oliver was a brand new 2009 Jeep Wrangler unlimited. It turned out to be the worst towing experience you could imagine. First, the engine in that model was terribly underpowered. Second, at that time my knowledge of towing was Nada, Zip. But the most glaring problem was the towing capacity was only 3500 pounds. Any self respecting Elite will weigh more than that by several hundred pounds. It looked cool but I would have to say no to any vehicle with under a 5000 towing capacity and even that will be marginal anywhere you’d want to go in a Jeep.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Agreed. It is inadequate in all ways; on the other hand the upcoming Gladiator pickup with the excellent 3.0 diesel/ 8 speed will be fantastic.... For an Elite only. It would pull a II but it would not have much reserve capacity for high mountain towing.

058A3BDA-EA29-4680-A3CB-C719ADD93E9F.jpeg.853deb5ccc2b94edb8a7f34dc8a0a91c.jpeg

The folks at the forum further published a trove of tech detailsthat, while not surprising, confirm that the Gladiator means serious business. According to their inside sources, the JL Gladiator will offer the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 (with eight-speed auto or six-speed stick) or the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 (auto only, available in 2020). It'll tow up to 7650 lbs and carry up to 1600 lbs payload, both "best in class," and offer the same transfer cases, axles, optional electronic diff lockers and electronic front sway bar disconnect that are available on the JL Wrangler.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a25097901/jeep-gladiator-pickup-photos-wrangler-truck/

Now that is COOL. Especially if Oliver would offer a sturdy, lifted,  independent, long travel, off road suspension for the trailer. Oooooh!..... my heart!

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

To put it mildly, I’m a Jeep guy. I’ve owned various Jeeps over the past four decades, in fact I’ve considered myself “Jeep poor” many a time. I’ve just sold my wife’s Unlimited so now all I have is a Rubicon and two Cherokees. The Unlimited cannot pull any Ollie. I promise. As for the Gladiator, it is my dream car, we’ll see...

Good luck on you’re quest. I’m in the same boat as you.

I think Mountainborn has towed his Ollie all over the place with a very heavily loaded JKU.  Not sure I would recommend it, but it's definitely been done.

I don't see any reason why the new Jeep truck couldn't tow either Ollie.  You'd probably want to install air bags to handle the tongue weight, but that's no big deal.