Water pressure regulator

Frank C

• Moderators

Ken & Karren -

While your thoughts on this are great (in theory) the actual situation is a bit more complicated.  All of us develop a set of "best practices" that are good for us and/or for the camping that we like to do.  What is one persons best practice is not necessarily anothers.  As an example - John seems to always use his water setup as shown in his pictures.  But, in reading that thread, there are a number of other ways that people get water that seem to work perfectly fine for them.  Add to this that almost each camping situation is different, what is a best practice in one situation just may have to be modified for another situation.  And, this applies even to boondocking at a WalMart - one may be very flat while another may be severely angled, one may be near a busy road while another may be relatively quiet and have a nice grass median.

So, even though I think I know what you are requesting, be aware that what just may be a perfect solution for you will not be a perfect solution for someone else.  There are many ways to get a job done and as long as you do that job in a safe manner I am not going to tell you that my way is "better" than your way.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Excellent point.  Let me restate my effort as a desire to gather pictures showing the different ways people Oliver camp. As you rightly point out, a "Best Practice" is in the eye of the beholder, and circumstances certainly influence methods.  Being a complete newbie, I am the least qualified to recognize a "Best Practice" when comes to Oliver camping.  Hopefully the pictures will simply give me ideas and help me prepare my mind for this new experience.

Another example (and picture) from a thread I will never be able to find again was a 30amp male connector attached to an inexpensive voltmeter and current checker meter (technical name) used to test shore power connections before connecting the Oliver.  This picture represented one way to check shore power before hooking up the Oliver.  I am sure there are other good ideas about safely connecting to shore power at campgrounds.  These are the type pictures that will help me prepare for blastoff in April 2019.

• Thanks 1

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

@ John D:

I like your set-up.  High and tight, out of the mud and not underfoot.  With the gauge at the trailer, it also pretty much guarantees that you will not accidentally leave it on the faucet when you depart!

• Thanks 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 4 months later...

John thanks for this post.  I bought one yesterday and am going to configure it like yours I think.  I had it at the hydro first.  But I have a question.  You said in an earlier response the if the gauge changes pressure readings when you turn on water in the trailer, that means the gauge is bad.  That is what mine is doing.  I set it 50, but when I turn on the water inside or the outside shower, it drops to 45.  I am going to exchange it today, but can you clarify if I understand correctly?  Also, Jason at Oliver said keeping pressure at 50 to 55 is fine.  That they tested them at the factory to 80 but the problem with any higher then 50 to 55 could cause the hot water heater pop off valve to go.  With mine set at 50 now, I am very pleased at the increase pressure inside so don’t see a need to go higher.  Just thought I would mention it.

• Like 1

Speaking of BEST practices, we make it a routine task to shut off the water valve at the source every time we leave the Ollie for a hike or whatever just to be safe. Also, I have used an inline filter (at the source valve) every time I connect to the Oliver water system to prevent rust/crap from getting into our lines. So far - so good.

Good topic,

Cheers

• Like 1
Legacy Elite I

ALCTDEFLGAKYMEMDMANHNJNYNCPARISCTNVTVAWV

I think the supplied one is camco?  Anyway the presets only regulate pressure if the pressure is above the preset value by 5 psi or so.   Then I suspect a spring/diaphragm kicks in to “burn up” the excess pressure. I think the one we have is 40 or 50psi and I find that works fine. Not after higher flow rates in a camping situation vs. a house where I adjust the pilot screw to allow for higher pressure. 

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.aed3a6aa6cd2b2679a4845e1ea98a981.jpeg

I replaced the one I bought 2 days ago with same kind and configured like pictures. Works better but I think it’s normal to drop pressure 5 lbs from set point. Mine set at 50 and drops to 45. I definitely noticed a nice difference in pressure. Worth it to me.