Hello from Austin, TX

mjrendon

I recently purchased a used 2017 Elite 2 and I am excited to get it out camping soon but also have many questions, even after reading and researching Oliver Trailers before and after the purchase.  The trailer is currently stored 45 miles away from my home, which should be changing in the near future.

My first question has to do with the WiFi system.  Note that I could not find any references in existing forum posts, nor in the trailer’s manual (specifically the communications schematic).  I am trying to figure out if the Oliver WiFi Ranger Elite FM installation includes the internal router called the “Go2”, in addition to the FM router that is outside of the trailer.  The Go2 router enables an internal wired network connection. I have not seen this router in my 2017, but I have also not looked extensively for it.

If an internal router is not included and the connection to the external unit is reasonably accessible (no cutting fiberglass), have any other owners considered adding an internal wired router?

Thank you,

Michael

My first question has to do with the WiFi system.  Note that I could not find any references in existing forum posts, nor in the trailer’s manual (specifically the communications schematic).  I am trying to figure out if the Oliver WiFi Ranger Elite FM installation includes the internal router called the “Go2”, in addition to the FM router that is outside of the trailer.  The Go2 router enables an internal wired network connection. I have not seen this router in my 2017, but I have also not looked extensively for it.

If your trailer had the WiFi Ranger installed by Oliver, there should be two routers. The Sky router is mounted on the roof and includes an antenna. The other router, the Go2, is inside the trailer, and is usually mounted inside the cabinet above the dinette, maybe next to the bathroom. I also got the Weboost Cellular Booster, and it is mounted at the other end of the cabinets above the dinette. The rooftop Weboost antenna and the rooftop Sky router are mounted at opposite ends of the trailer, to minimize interference between the two.

It is quite useful to have two interconnected routers. The Go2 interior router is best for use inside the trailer, while the Go2 outdoor router is best for web surfing when outside the trailer in the campground, or, say, by the river. The manufacturer says that the outdoor router can transmit 250-1000 feet. More importantly, the outdoor router can connect with, and amplify, distant WiFi signals such as from the campground, as much as 1.5 miles away. I read a report online where someone was boon docking a mile from a Flying J, without obstructions, and was able to connect to the Flying J WiFi via their WiFi Ranger.

The WiFi Ranger Quick Start Guide (attached) describes how to log on for the first time. The previous owner may have changed the name of the network and the password, in which case you may need to get it from them.

[Edit.] Although I attached a pdf file with the WiFi Ranger Quick Start Guide, I was unable to open or download the attachment. The document is available at the manufacturers' website HERE.

WiFiRanger-Quick-Start.pdf

• Thanks 3

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Tom & Cheryl and David,

Thank you for your quick responses and answers.  I had sent WiFi ranger an email earlier and they said the Ranger Elite was sold in 2 formats.  One included the inside router and the other did not.  They were not certain which model Oliver may have installed in 2017.

Looking at the 2015 - 2019 Oliver manuals, brochures and website for the WiFi Ranger that was offered those years was even more confusing.  In 2017 the product offered appeared to be unique during that time frame.  I am hoping that the "Ranger RV Pack 2" included the inside router.

I likely I just overlooked it when I was inspecting the trailer.  Next time I will certainly be looking for the router as you both mentioned it should be dinette cabinet.  I just don't recall seeing one in there.

Oliver_WiFi_Ranger_History.thumb.png.1137a4a6f6098331d63671d8413c475a.png

• Moderators

Michael, congrats on your Oliver purchase! We saw an Elite II for sale on our way through Marble Falls in October, is this the same one?

You’ll get good answers here as you can see from David’s post. Again, welcome! Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Michael -

A quick call to the Oliver Sales Office could help you in finding out exactly what came with your camper when it came off the assembly line.  Yes, the WiFi setup could have been changed after that but it is highly unlikely.  If you decide to make that call, I'd ask them to send me a full list of your unit's production since this will include all options, manufacturing dates, color choices, etc.

Bill

p.s.  Welcome!  You now belong to a very small group of like minded RV owners.  Also, I'm jealous!  I've been wanting to come to Austin for the Formula One Grand Prix for a number of years now.  You are fortunate to be so close.

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"