2020 Jeep Gladiator 3.0 turbodiesel tow rating

John E Davies

023453EE-3A99-44D0-8820-78126D00FF06.jpeg.ee3c568aa09dadcbbaf395738d9dc92e.jpeg

This is a very trick truck, and at first glance it looks as if the 3.0 turbo diesel with its 440 ft lbs torque would be a great choice for an Elite II. But maybe not. It’s all about engine cooling. With the front mounted intercooler dumping tons of heat into the radiator, the designers just can’t keep that engine cool enough. And there isn’t enough room for a monster radiator like in a full sized pickup. Interesting article discussing the engineering changes that make it very different from a regular Wrangler:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/los-angeles-auto-show/a25345880/jeep-gladiator-pickup-diesel-tow-rating/

OTH.... It would be fantastic for the smaller trailer. Especially if the Elite was lifted a little.

OTH ... you could get the gas V6 and drop a supercharger on it.... that might get 400 ft lbs  torque without the cooling issue, but it would eat gas like crazy.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I think it will be fine.  I mean, the chassis will be capable of the higher number, even if they lower the rating down to 7,000 due to the engine.  And technically, 7,000 is enough, even if it's right on the bubble.  Plus it has plenty of torque for the mountains.  I never camp in the summer, so personally I'd be fine with it.  There will probably be aftermarket grills and whatever to increase the airflow as well.

I'm interested in general to see what the aftermarket comes up with for this truck.  That's the main thing I don't like about the F150 - you'd think that the best selling vehicle in the world would have a thriving aftermarket, but it's really slim pickings out there.

• Thanks 1

I am as happy as a pig in mud that this thing has been finally unveiled. I’ve been, and will continue, to try to balance a future Ollie, an off road truck, and fly fishing in hard to reach places. Being the “Jeep Guy” that I am, Overland is right about the aftermarket Jeep “stuff.”  It’s crazy and Jeep knows it. My pipe dream is for the Gladiator to be able to handle an Elite II. We’ll see!

• Thanks 1

Having driven the Grand Cherokee version of that powertrain (and towed the Elite II 3200 miles with it, including in Colorado) I would say that it's up to the task.  Cooling was a known issue but all that means is you can't floor it up a steep grade.  I never hit the red line on the temp gauge or got derated but I tend to drive conservatively especially when towing.

Regardless, the important metric is payload capacity.  My Jeep only had ~1150 lbs of payload, which we ran out of easily with the whole family, gear, and Ollie loaded up.  I assume that this will have slightly more, maybe 1300lbs tops.  If there's just two of you and you can travel light or load up the trailer instead of the tow vehicle then I would have no problem recommending the Ecodiesel.

• Thanks 1

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

Regardless, the important metric is payload capacity. My Jeep only had ~1150 lbs of payload, which we ran out of easily with the whole family, gear, and Ollie loaded up. I assume that this will have slightly more, maybe 1300lbs tops. If there’s just two of you and you can travel light or load up the trailer instead of the tow vehicle then I would have no problem recommending the Ecodiesel.

Actually the specs say 1600 pound payload, and that is supposed to stay the same regardless of trim level. Many Jeeps end up with bigger tires that kill power, plus a few hundred pounds of heavy duty chassis armor, bumpers, winches, racks, jerry cans etc etc, so it will really help to have the little cushion that the 1600 pound figure gives.

This truck is going to need more ground clearance if taken offroad. The breakover angle is appallingly bad due to the really long wheelbase. Getting it raised up by taller springs and larger tires will lessen that problem. A big plus for the Rubicon with its lower gearing and taller factory ride height....

One thing that really appeals to me about the big Power Wagon is that the moderate payload already factors in the mass of a factory winch, lockers, lift, big tires, armor etc. So you don’t have to worry about losing any payload by adding those features. The Gladiator Rubicon is a similar vehicle in that respect.

CE36E213-A6AF-438C-B81B-85929811C813.jpeg.d7ce2aa5cc0cae7f2442c8da256b5de9.jpeg

20B25784-25EE-4FD9-AEF3-73F7AA1F83FA.jpeg.6f0f57d278ff860074bbe10a3213bae3.jpeg

Good article here:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1811-the-new-jeep-2020-gladiator-pickup-revealed/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Actually the specs say 1600 pound payload, and that is supposed to stay the same regardless of trim level.

In my experience, (having recently shopped extensively for tow vehicles) website / brochure payload specs seldom match what's on the door jamb sticker of actual vehicles, except for the lowest trim, least-configured vehicles.  I wouldn't put too much stock in the above being correct (I don't mean you, John; I mean the specs).  However I would be happy to be wrong in this case.

• Thanks 2

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

From the information located at the forum below, it looks like Rumline is right. As an old guy, I find it odd that to get max towing one has to have an automatic.

Lots of interesting info here, if it’s all true to the info on the door jamb:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/2020-jeep-gladiator-specifications-sheet-feature-availability.8468/

• Thanks 1

In my experience, (having recently shopped extensively for tow vehicles) website / brochure payload specs seldom match what’s on the door jamb sticker of actual vehicles, except for the lowest trim, least-configured vehicles.

I found the same during my TV search. The only accurate numbers are contained on the Vehicle itself - usually somewhere on the driver side door frame/pillar. The owners manuals also contain the data, but are usually/sometimes generic in nature. The advertised numbers rarely matched the vehicles I actually test drove. The salespeople were not much better.

In addition, it became clear to me, tow and payload ratings, appeared to be "engineered" differently between the manufacturers. "Class leading" claims,  although a marketing tool, didn't appear to mean much in my search.

TV preferences run the gamut from barely adequate to more than needed, as one who prefers a little overcapacity, especially in towing and loads, I went with a larger truck. I've driven trucks for most of my life and the size of my GMC 2500, although certainly larger than a F150, just isn't an issue with me. I understand how it would be to others, however.  Good luck in your search.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Interesting specifications.  I would be concerned pulling an Ollie E2 with only 260 lf-ft and a 20 gallon tank.   Hopefully the diesel version will remedy these low numbers.

• Thanks 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Here is a sneak peek at the Super Bowl commercial showing the rebirth of the Gladiator.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Naq2yFTwA_c

I think it looks great and that dealers won’t be able to get enough of them. And I know it would be even more super cool if they offered a full sized variant with serious towing power.... how about a rebodied retro Power Wagon? Ooooooh my heart!

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

It's a nice addition to the jeep line they will be very popular I love the jeeps but always sadden about the tow ratings it may be great for the elite. I'll still keep the over kill duramax  4x4 crew cab 455hp 900+ torque.  18- 20 miles per gal. Plenty of room.

image.thumb.jpeg.9b3554817a8a0c1bcfe84f2c78f2f954.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• 1 month later...

I currently have a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 L V8 and a 2017 2 dr Jeep Wrangler (Willys). I would love to trade them both in and get the Gladiator to satisfy all my needs in one vehicle, but I am worried that it will not be able to handle the Elite II the way I would like. I had been pulling a Casita with the Tundra and it did not even know the Casita was behind it.

The recent specs have the Tow Capacity at 7,650. Any more thoughts on this subject would be appreciated. I am picking my Elite II up on April 16th. Not sure if the Galdiators would even be available by then. I bought the Anderson hitch and if possible would like to get it set for the vehicle that I plan to keep...not sure how hard it is to change the hitch to a new vehicle.

2019 Elite II Hull 435, 2022 Toyota Tundra

I currently have a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 L V8 and a 2017 2 dr Jeep Wrangler (Willys). I would love to trade them both in and get the Gladiator to satisfy all my needs in one vehicle, but I am worried that it will not be able to handle the Elite II the way I would like. I had been pulling a Casita with the Tundra and it did not even know the Casita was behind it.

The recent specs have the Tow Capacity at 7,650. Any more thoughts on this subject would be appreciated. I am picking my Elite II up on April 16th. Not sure if the Galdiators would even be available by then. I bought the Anderson hitch and if possible would like to get it set for the vehicle that I plan to keep…not sure how hard it is to change the hitch to a new vehicle.

The Gladiator Rubicon should tow an Elite II adequately with the diesel, I suspect, but it may be a year or more before it comes out. I am pretty sure your Tundra will do it significantly better tho, unless you are running 37” tires. It will just not get good mpgs or look sexy...

The big problem with the Gladiator, like any hard core Jeep, is that the temptation is very strong to load it down with lots of steel armor, winch, skidplates, lights, big tires etc etc. And all that stuff takes away from the available payload. If you want to go that route a Power Wagon makes more sense since it already has most of that gear from the factory and you are working with a stout 3/4 ton platform....

Readjusting the Anderson chains is simple enough, the only remotely tricky part is getting the ball height correct and those big bolts torqued down tight. Don’t buy the tongue tray, keep the tongue as light as possible. If the tongue is light enough you might possibly be OK with a dead weight hitch on either TV. Once you load down the tray with heavy gear, you are stuck with the Andersen, for sure.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators

JD,

Did you mention that Power Wagon again?  I saw this one at the Florida State Fair recently and thought you would appreciate it.

1F616C02-77C0-4260-989C-EAC882846FE3.thumb.jpeg.029ba3d3e92f80da04892eecd4dcc15d.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Thanks for the reply John!.

I did order the utility tray but will not plan to really load it down (you never can really have too much storage :-) . I will probably just use it to carry my Honda 2000 Gen. Ironically the Turbo Diesel is supposed to have less towing capacity than the 3.6 Liter Gasser.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/los-angeles-auto-show/a25345880/jeep-gladiator-pickup-diesel-tow-rating/

The info about adjusting the Anderson hitch appreciated.

This is all probably just academic rhetoric since I most likely would not be able to take possession of a New Gladiator before I head down to Oliver to get the new vessel. I will let you know how it goes.

Dave

• Thanks 1

The 3.0 diesel runs hot, that is a well known problem. If you had issues on steep desert grades on blistering hot days, that is easily corrected. .... https://www.haydenauto.com/Featured%20Products-Radiator%20Mist%20System/Content.aspx

Long ago I built a similar crude spray system using copper pipe and a windshield washer pump kit to cool an overworked hot-rodded 1984 Suburban 454 ci big block towing too much boat in the mountains. It actually helped to reduce vapor locking. The actual cure was regearing the rear axle...

OTH my 5.7 200 engine never gets too warm, and the trannie converter temp never spikes above 230 degrees. (Using an OBDII scan display.) Lack of cooling is simply not a worry for this engine. Especially if you have the tow package with 4.30 gears, your Tundra will pull your new toy without working hard.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• 1 month later...

Since driving back from TN to MA I can say that I definitely concluded (as much a s I would love to get the Gladiator for many reasons)...there is no way I would want less truck than my 5.7 L V8 Tundra. I am glad I did not have a chance to hedge my bet before driving home.

• Thanks 2

In spite of Jeep pulling all the stops to get to "class leading" status with the Gladiator, I would not want to pull an Elite2 with one.

The Jeep is narrow and underpowered, an LE2 can easily weigh 6,000 lbs.  and the bed of the Gladiator has most of it's volume behind the rear axle.  So the cargo in the bed is lifting the front end and making things worse.

The tow rating was partly achieved by doing everything they could think of to cool it.  Meaning, there is no head room at all. Too bad they didn't go with the early  Gladiator front styling instead of insisting on the off-the-shelf  Wrangler front end.

I have a 3.6 liter V6 Pentastar in my Rubicon, with 4.10 gears and a stick, and the numbers don't seem to match the experience.  It's fine for slow 4 wheeling, but it strains on the highway in the mountains while just pulling itself around.

Why not get a Rebel with the Hemi?  Lots of off-road equipment, wider for better stability, nearly the same length with the Quad cab, compared to the Crew cab only Gladiator, more power in a more durable engine and rated for more towing weight.  The Power wagon is very nice too, but $10,000. more, worse mileage and a lot heavier.  As far as width is concerned, the LE2 is almost exactly the same width as a full sized Ram. Anywhere the Ram will go, an LE2 will go.  The wheels roll in nearly the same path.  So, it's easy to see around and it follows along nicely on back roads.  Mid sized trucks are narrower, but you are still limited to where the trailer will fit.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Owing a 2017 Jeep Willys for a toy, I would never consider a Jeep Wrangler, or  Gladiator as a tow vehicle. It would be nice to have a Jeep to run around to and from the campsite, but that's about it. Hooked behind a diesel pusher Jeeps look great.

trainman

• Thanks 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the Ike Gauntlet test of the Gladiator.  I'd say that Jeep was a bit optimistic on the tow rating, at least for the gas version.  Seems like a 5,000lb truck, not 7,000.  7,650lbs is no more than a marketing department dream.

Probably a good choice for an Elite, but not an Elite II.

I'm sure that the diesel model with a real tow/haul mode will be better (if it doesn't overheat).  But to me the truck looked a bit squirrelly, especially under braking, even though they said it drove well.

I've watched many of the TFLTruck videos and I really like there road test on the ike Gauntlet. OK, I watched the video on the Gladiator and it preformed as I thought it would, this trailer is too heavy for towing with a Gladiator. Now a trailer like a Casita will probably be ok, maybe even the Elite trailer will work, but the Elite II I would think not. I can understand why owners of Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators would want to be able to pull there travel trailer camping, they now have an excellent vehicle for off-roading to play with when they get to there camp site. Being a 2017 Wrangler owner and maybe someday a Gladiator I like it, but not for towing.

trainman

• Thanks 2

I’m a bit surprised, since I had originally assumed that the Gladiator would be a Ram with a Jeep-like body and maybe a different 4wd system. But it’s really more like a longer Wrangler.

For an offroad truck I still like my raptor. It’s not the best at anything it does but it’s a good compromise, at least for me.

The Gladiator is a disappointment for me too.  I was hoping for a real truck instead of an adapted Wrangler.

As far as towing, more specifically, the Gladiator has a lot of rear overhang and a very light engine.  The cooling system is barely up to the minimum as dictated by the Wrangler front end.  Towing over 7500 lbs would not be what I consider safe.  The Wrangler Unlimited four door is only rated for 3500 lbs and is nearly the same vehicle, with the exception of slightly heavier rear suspension and a pickup bed.

Best to consider the Gladiator a Wrangler with a bed, instead of a truck for towing.  As far as the engine is concerned, in order to get it to do anything near what is seems it should, according to the numbers, you have to rev it way up and put up with all of the inherent V6 "character".  It's fine for off roading, but not fine for towing.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

For those who thought the Gladiator would be the answer to a Ram mid-size truck, I think you miss-understood the Jeep way of thinking, It's a Jeep Wrangler with a box on the back, was never intended to be a pickup as we think of pickups. Owing a 2017 Jeep Wrangler and being on the Wrangler Forum that's the way Jeep owner look at it, for them it's just a way to carry more stuff off-road that they can't get it into a 2/4 door Wrangler. For those who want a Ram mid-size pickup I have read that this is in the development process, will it be called a Dakota or something else, who knows. Since this mid-size trucks are doing well in sales I would think they better get it to the assembly line soon.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP0hBE1z97k

trainman

• Thanks 4