Snow in the South

topgun2

• Moderators

OK, having lived north of the Mason Dixon line for a period of time I know that there are places where snowfall is virtually a daily occurrence.  However, the "average" total snowfall for the southern town in which I currently live is 6 inches and the average high temperature for December 9th is right at 51 degrees.  At 7:30 this morning these pictures were taken.  AND!  It is supposed to keep snowing all day today.  Sure is quiet and beautiful though and I'm one of the very few people that has a (small) snow blower.  Of course this means that shortly I'll be out there making a first clearing job on my drive and the drives of at least 6 others.  What time does the game start?

Bill

P1020153.thumb.jpg.40a3568405a66ec5593d8959e216ed00.jpg

P1020151.thumb.jpg.aa11cb13a0386877508c03618f3b6fb6.jpg

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Wow!  It would be nice for Christmas, but it’s a little early.  It’s a good thing your snowblower is tuned up and ready to blow.

That same cold front is blowing through Florida at this time with heavy rain and tornado watches in effect.

Good Luck!  ☃️☃️☃️☃️

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Bill, you could just keep that snow down there in N.C. So far we have about 6" here in Blacksburg and supposed to snow all day. When it stop I'm for sure going to have to walk the forest trails down the street from the house. Nice fairly level trail that runs along the Wall's Branch to Strouble's Creek. Love a quiet, still, snow covered woods trail.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Bill,

Had a snow blower when we lived in Ohio. Have about 2 to 3" of snow/sleet so far, just north of Charlotte.  Enjoy snow here, since it does not stay on the ground very long. Happy we found a place to store Ollie inside, too.

We had on track Snow Blowers with military surplus jet engines to blow snow out of switches on the railroad. Parked a pickup truck too close to the track one night, jet blast with debris put five holes in the pickup radiator.

Bill #75 LE2 Tundra

• Moderators

Just gotta love an old two cycle engine snow blower - that is except for how I smell at the moment.  Even with such heavy snow that little puppy was able to get at it.  Given the snow was ten to twelve inches deep and so heavy I had to only take 1/2 a width of the blower on each pass.  But, it sure beats the heck out of shoveling.  Unfortunately, the snow plows have not plowed the street since last night and there are presently fallen trees blocking the entrance and exit to our street.  I'm sure that the 4 wheel drive truck could make it out in the event of emergency but that just might mean I would get it dirty!  Since I also cleaned the drives for some (really) elderly neighbors its a virtual guarantee of a couple bottles of wine and/or cookies!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill,  sorry to hear that the predictions were correct.   We left for NJ Friday afternoon and arrived yesterday.  Our trailer is snug inside the garage so no worries there.  Hopefully this is all for the winter.

Scotty

CB4C0924-2B06-413B-89E2-A4E78F59E083.thumb.jpeg.c2002c115c7519459b7e18fd6f58bbd8.jpeg

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

• Moderators

Got a text from our neighbor at our camping property outside Asheville.  14 inches so far, 8 more to come. With ice. Please be careful out there, and stay home if you can...

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Temps (here at 2400 feet elevation) never got below 32 degrees last night and there was a bit of light rain.  Therefore, the amount of snow has been reduced from about 12 inches to around 6 inches as of 9:00am.  Virtually everything is closed for the day - you got to remember that these southern towns simply do not have the equipment for "proper" snow removal.  And, due to the weight of the snow, there are many trees down blocking the roads.

Looks like a day of another log on the fire and trying to remember exactly where that bottle of wine is located.

Bill

p.s.  sledding is a bunch of fun since the streets still haven't been plowed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
  • Thanks 1