Water dripping from vents under trailer

We have a legacy eliteII ‘18.  Water is dripping from the rear and front “vent” on the dinette side only.   I don’t know their proper names.  We are in Las vegas so it has been dry, but we are heating at night.  The dripping is from only those two vents.  I had to replace a fitting on the fresh water inlet because it cracked.  It could be that it is leaking and needs to be tightened?  But that doesn’t seem to explain the dripping from the front vent and before I take apart the “cellar” I thought I’d ask.  This is my first time posting so if I’m in the wrong place or doing it incorrectly let me know.

07950662-F655-4A38-A2C3-3671932F5FFB.thumb.jpeg.7f0f97b0f2d2b1a8233ffb54d155cbb9.jpeg

74A96CDC-C818-4937-ABC5-B7C0CEE8D553.thumb.jpeg.70511c193edc088b164c8551d7c28579.jpeg

• Moderators

Assuming that your "vents" are the little silver colored things on the bottom outside shell of the camper (actual name for these things is scupper holes or scupper hole covers to be technical).  The purpose of these is to allow drainage of leaks from between the inside and outside shells of the camper.  Therefore, the job is to find out where the leak is coming from and then stop it.  Probably you are on the right track with regards to the water inlet.

Good luck.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I just filled the fresh water tank and turned the water off.  I will monitor the scupper holes to see if they dry up.  If they do, it may be the city water inlet that is still causing the problem.  Is there something in the front of the trailer/bathroom that could leak?  We have a composting toilet so maybe a loose fitting in the sink?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Yes, there are a couple of things in the front of the camper that could leak and drain out the scupper holes.  The drain from the shower pan and bath sink, the showerhead/sink faucet are both potentials.  Get a flashlight and take a look around under both the dinette seat nearest the bath and under the street side bed near the pantry.  That might help you find the leak.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I stuck my head deep into the well under the dinette seat.  I was able to see that the toilet water hose is dry and to see that there is no water at the scupper hole under the toilet water tube.  I was unable to see the very front scupper hole where the drip is.  Next I’ll look at the bathroom faucet.

Thank you!

• Moderators

Well, depends on how old your Oliver is.  On older Olivers the front of the bath vanity is held in place with only caulk while on newer units there are four screws and (I believe) caulk.  The only way to look at those connections is to remove the screws, take a sharp knife or (preferably) a razor and carefully cut the caulk in order to remove that front.  Of course, once removed the only way to get it water tight is to once again re-caulk that area.  I would only do this as a last resort in trying to find the source of the leak - its not hard to do, but, it is a bit of a pita.

Bill

• Moderator+
We have a legacy eliteII ‘18. Water is dripping from the rear and front “vent” on the dinette side only. I don’t know their proper names. We are in Las vegas so it has been dry, but we are heating at night. The dripping is from only those two vents. I had to replace a fitting on the fresh water inlet because it cracked. It could be that it is leaking and needs to be tightened? But that doesn’t seem to explain the dripping from the front vent and before I take apart the “cellar” I thought I’d ask. This is my first time posting so if I’m in the wrong place or doing it incorrectly let me know.

Let me see if I can help you.  You state that "...Water is dripping from the rear and front “vent” on the dinette side only..."  From that, I gather that it is dripping from two places (front and rear of trailer.) Does it drip constantly and consistently? I suspect that IF there is a leak it is coming from a single source. But based on the size of the puddle in the picture you included, I would expect a lot more water from a constant leak.  A single leak could cause water to run out at both ends of the trailer due to the fact that the collection channel runs the entire length. If you are going to chase after a leak, I would start with the last fitting you replaced.

On the other hand, it could merely be condensation between the shells.  You state you are in Las Vegas and have been using heat at night.  The outside humidity is probably very low but if it is cold enough to require heat then the temperature differential between the two shells will be significant.  Every time you guys exhale you are releasing moisture into the air.  Two people could easily put out a couple of quarts a day.  If you are cooking inside on the propane cook-top, there would been even more.

• Thanks 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Great help and thanks to everyone for offering ideas.  The drip in the rear scupper hole stopped as soon as I unhooked the water from the city inlet.  I need to tighten the fitting I replaced last week.  Maybe retake it.  I had a terrible time getting pipe tape on it in such a small space.  The water from the front scupper hole has continued to drip.  Would condensation be more likely to occur in the front bathroom corner?  There are no other drips except this one.

• Moderator+
...The water from the front scupper hole has continued to drip. Would condensation be more likely to occur in the front bathroom corner? There are no other drips except this one...

My suspicion is that the water stopped at the rear due to you removing the source (water from the city inlet.) Further it is probably still dripping from the front due to the amount of water that has collected along the length of the trailer.  Lower the front end slightly and see if the water won't run out quicker.  The quicker you get the bulk of the water out, the better off you'll be but there won't be any lasting damage.

Probably just a small leak. For the repair, some of this or this might be easier than dealing with the teflon tape.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Just a thought. Have you checked your water pressure regulator to make sure it hasn’t gone bad?   I had an issue with my house a couple years back when suddenly I had several faucets, compression fittings on pipes, and toilets in the house all start dripping/ leaking at around the same time.  And I thought ok, that many simultaneous failures can’t be a coincidence.     The pressure regulator on the water main supply line coming into the house had failed.

And I’ll second the recommendation on the Rectorseal pipe sealant.   I’ve used that on many plumbing projects lately with very good results. Much better than the Teflon tape.

4CBC887A-6C9D-42C4-BDF9-802883688E97.thumb.jpeg.bfe8fe8cc968fe85f1fae2427b51ed80.jpeg

• Thanks 2

• Administrators

@maryandbill

We sincerely apologize for the issues you are having. If you still have issues, please don’t hesitate to call the service department at 1-866-205-2621 or you can Submit a Service Ticket here: http://olivertraveltrailers.com/service/

Full Stack Developer/Marketing @ Oliver Companies

Oliver Forums Guidelines & Rules

So many good suggestions!  Thank you.  I will describe what I’ve done only to still have the drip from the front dinette side scupper hole.  This am there was a small puddle, but last night I left the trailer well vented and kept the heat at 58.  It got to about 45 degrees last night.  This am I opened the dinette covers, all the windows, turned off the water pump and drained the water by turning it on.  It was sunny and 60 today.  Tonight it still drips:(  I’ll call Oliver tomorrow.  I’m perplexed and disappointed.

DBFF0591-5370-4F36-9E5D-9F4BE24DB626.thumb.jpeg.efc887abbfa832656a2d983824009adf.jpeg