Oliver Problems unresolved

TexasMarshall

We picked our Ollie Mar 3 2018 Hull #330. After the walk around we headed for our first nite of camping in our new Ollie paid for by Oliver. We were all excited. After getting set up & leveled up, I attempted to deploy the carefree awning. The foot on the support arm closest to the hitch wouldn’t go in the attachment that holds the support arm to the trailer. I thought I was doing something wrong but after careful evaluation, I measured the foot & it wasn’t going in. It was too big. Luckily I had a hacksaw & cut off a piece to make it fit. So far so good. That evening before retireing I attempted to stow the awning. The support arm wouldn’t go back in its stowed position. It wouldn’t slide down the grooves provided to get it in the stowed position. After looking at it I realized it had come out of the grooves it’s suppose to slide in. Try as I did I couldn’t get it in the stowed position. I  retracted the awning as far as it would go & left the support arm hanging. Next morning, I tackled the problem again. I realized the support arm wasn’t going into the stowed position with out some help. I took a large screwdriver & pryed the rail far enough apart to get it back in the track. Even then it was difficult to get it in the stowed position. This experience  convinced me the carefree awning was poorly made & just a piece of junk. A few days later preparing to leave the camp ground, I went to the dump station. Dumped my black water tank & them my gray water tank. Flushed the black water tank & closed the valves. We proceeded to the next camp ground and stayed for a few days. Again went to dump & realized the sewer hose was full of waste water. I put the hose in the sewer drain & took the cap off the end of the hose. Let the tanks drain & then started to figure out what was wrong. I realized the gray water valve was closed but the black water valve was still open & it wouldn’t close. I was extremely disappointed in this Oliver ELITE travel trailer. Since we have found numerous small annoying things wrong with our trailer that should have never been allowed out of the factory. I attribute it to poor quality control.

TexasMarshall

Im wondering why if you were that close to the factory you you did not go back the next morning? Thats the purpose of camping close to the factory.

The trailer mount is made by carefree also. If the support arm is rotated 180 degrees it will not fit in the mount on the trailer. It will also no allow it to go back in the stored position.

Has Oliver addressed the problems?

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

I have always had a problem with the black tank valve not closing when I use the handle in the back. Solved that problem by manually pushing the valve closed under the dinette seat. Someday we will go by the plant and get it fixed.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

I can almost guarantee that you had the awning arm rotated the wrong way like Tom suggested.  I did that once and scratched my head for five minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't work before I realized what I'd done.  It's just like you describe, that the foot is too long to make it past the retainer.  It's probably one of those things that Oliver needs to add to their orientation, since I'm sure it's confused others as well.

I managed to get mine out of the grooves on our first trip as well, and actually broke one of the little metal guide fins off the arm trying to get it out.  But that too was my fault since  it was pitch black and cold and I was rushing to get it in when the wind picked up suddenly.  I suspect that, again like Tom said, I'd twisted the arm the wrong way and tried to jam it in.  Fortunately, the broken guide fin doesn't seem to make any difference.

By the way, after examining mine afterwards, I think if that ever happens again, you can unscrew the endplate on the awning and that will relieve the tension to let you slide the arm back out and get it re-situated.

For what it's worth, after those first few learning experiences, I've had no problems and with a little practice they go up and come down without much thought or effort.  I've found that they don't quite close up perfectly flush, which bugs me for aesthetic reasons, but I don't think it's a problem otherwise.  I do feel like the orange tabs will eventually break, and I've been meaning to order a spare just in case.

I don't know if the Fiammas are any better, but I don't think that Oliver had much of a choice at the time.  Perhaps the Dometic awnings are better made, though I doubt it.

• Thanks 2

• Moderator+
...This experience convinced me the carefree awning was poorly made & just a piece of junk...

...I went to the dump station. Dumped my black water tank....proceeded to the next camp ground...Again went to dump & realized the sewer hose was full of waste water. ..realized the...black water valve was still open & it wouldn’t close. I was extremely disappointed in this Oliver ELITE travel trailer. Since we have found numerous small annoying things wrong with our trailer that should have never been allowed out of the factory. I attribute it to poor quality control.

I have the Fiamma awning and have no experience with the Carefree brand so I defer to those comments from those that do.  However, at the time your trailer was built there was no choice in awnings due to the shooting/massacre at the Orlando, FL distribution center for Fiamma.

The black water valve is a simple 5 minute job for you to adjust.  There is no way to pressure test the black tank and valve at the factory. Due to the fact that yours was a cold weather delivery, to test the valve, it would have required putting water into the black tank and then winterizing afterward.

Sorry for your disappointment.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Oliver’s intent for paying for your first night nearby is for them to be able to address any issues you might have right after pick up. Your awning sounds like something that would have prompted a phone call to Jason for resolution.

As Steve mentioned, the black tank issue is not difficult to adjust. I had the same problem a year or two ago. Before I fixed it I did what Stan mentioned, lift the back dinette seat and manually push down the gate. It started again last month so I’m back to a manual push after dumping and rinsing until I adjust again.

If you’re having issues don’t hesitate to call the Oliver service guys. They’ve been quick to respond with instructions and parts. Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

After looking at the valve I figured it out. The sheath over the hard wire that actually moves & opens & closes the valve had come out of where it’s attached to the valve due to one of the screws missing. Once I put a screw in the misssing spot & tightened them both up, the valve opened & closed like it should.

TexasMarshall

• Administrators

@TexasMarshall

We sincerely apologize for the issues you have had. We are passing along your comments to quality control. If you still have issues, don't hesitate to call the service department at 1-866-205-2621.

• Thanks 3

Matt Duncan

Marketing Consultant, Oliver Travel Trailers

The foot on the support arm closest to the hitch wouldn’t go in the attachment that holds the support arm to the trailer. I thought I was doing something wrong

During my first solo attempt with my same awning - I initially thought I had the same issue.  However, I took extra time to fully go through every system at out pick-up process.  We fully deployed the awning during the delivery process, all attachments, in/out, etc.,  - and I KNEW it had fit correctly at least once. I had my wife also deploy the unit at delivery - yet the first time we did it I felt like a dweeb. As the foot attachments right and left are the same, (on my unit) it seems weird that they would be of differing dimensions. Things happen. Time will tell on overall quality of this unit - I don't have any concerns - long term I shall have to see....

I don't use the black water tank, but I will check it out this spring, I'll cycle it and visually verify.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201