Honda Generator- Did I buy the wrong one? EU2200i or EU2200i Companion

dbp05ret

So, I bough locally. It was a Honda EU2200i. I was looking at it this morning and seen that it has 2 (15 amp) outlets. Should I have bought the EU2200 Companion which has the 30 amp outlet and a 15 amp outlet? Yes, I know I can use a conversion plug with the EU2200i. However, with the EU 2200i Companion it would be a direct plug in to standard RV Power Cord. Since, I have not used it, I think, I can take it back if need be. Thanks in advance! Darryl

• Thanks 1

Darryl,

We have the EU2200i Companion model.  A couple of my thoughts on this for your consideration:

The companion model has a 30A receptacle, but without a 2nd paired generator you can still only get 15A continuous (2200 watts peak) out of the 30A receptacle.

The 30A receptacle on the companion model is a 3-prong twist lock (L5-30R), whereas the standard shorepower cord terminates with the RV-specific 3-prong straight-bladed plug, aka TT-30P. While electrically compatible (125V/30A max, hot/neutral/ground connection), the two connectors are not physically compatible. You will need a separate adapter to plug the standard Ollie shorepower cord into either the Honda companion model 30A receptacle or the 15A receptacle.

The 30A receptacle is not protected by the small 20A push-button breaker on the front of the generator. In an overload situation, the inverter will shutdown and trigger the "overload" LED. You may have to shutdown and restart the generator to get the inverter to reset (vs pushing the 20A breaker button back in if you were using the 15A receptacle when the overload occurred).

So bottom line it doesn't really matter, pending your opinions on (1) which adapter you would prefer to use, (2) the 20A breaker vs the inverter overload mechanism, and (3) whether you think you might in the future have occasion to either borrow or purchase a 2nd generator, and which configuration that 2nd generator is likely to be...

Tom

• Thanks 1

Tom & Holly

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite I #409 - 2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3L Gas, 4x4 Z71, Dbl Cab, Std Bed

2023-10-16OliverCampedStates(medium).jpg.8e9964c26c7927a0077806565b9dcfc2.jpg

One more thought...

Some folks prefer to use a lighter weight extension cord between the single Honda EU2000i/EU2200i and the Ollie, and then use an adapter at the shorepower connector on the trailer end, rather than wrestling with the heavier 30A AWG 10/3 standard shorepower cord. Since the single generator only produces 15A continuous (2200 Watts or about 18.3A peak), a standard 25ft 12/3 outdoor rated extension cord (which is rated for 20A) works well.

Tom

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Tom & Holly

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite I #409 - 2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3L Gas, 4x4 Z71, Dbl Cab, Std Bed

If only I could remember everything in a single post LOL...

When using the Honda EU2200i and similar generators that do not already bond the neutral to the ground connection, you need to have a plan for where you are going to plug in the neutral/ground bonding plug.

With the Honda non-companion version, you can plug the bonding plug into one 15A receptacle, and the adapter or extension cord into the other 15A receptacle. With the Honda companion version, you would either need a 15A "Y-adapter" to be able to plug in both the bonding plug and the adapter or extension cord into the (single) 15A receptacle, or make a similar neutral/ground bonding plug that fits into the 30A L5-30R receptacle.

Tom

• Thanks 2

Tom & Holly

If I remember correctly, I picked up my Oliver with a basket up front and a 30A plug to connect it to the trailer. I had a Honda 3000, which has a 30A receptacle. The Oliver people hooked up the Generator to the trailer with the short jumper they had made for it and could not get it to work. They had to made another jumper with the 15A plug on the Generator side to get it to work. Has been working fine like that for Three years.

Grayson and Ann Cook

Northwest CT and Mid Coast Maine

2016 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed FP

Toyota Tundra, Extra Cab, Long bed, 5.7 V8

Yippee-i-o-ki-yah

From everything I have read, if you are getting a single generator you are better off with the EU2200i model. The EU2200 Companion is needed if you want to hook up two generators in parallel.

• Thanks 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• 1 year later...
On 12/13/2018 at 4:40 AM, ADKCamper said:

When using the Honda EU2200i and similar generators that do not already bond the neutral to the ground connection, you need to have a plan for where you are going to plug in the neutral/ground bonding plug.

Planning to purchase the Honda EU2200i (non-companion) as an accessory for our soon-to-be Elite II.  I have heard that, in order to work with the Oliver's onboard surge protector you need a "neutral to the ground connection".  Our current RV has an onboard Onan generator and built in surge protection, but the "neutral to ground" is probably built in to the system. As I have only basic knowledge of power conversion, please explain.  What do I need to allow the Honda to function with the Oliver surge protection?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

What do I need to allow the Honda to function with the Oliver surge protection?

Watch the YouTube link for a better understanding.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiw4tefqJ3qAhUBZd8KHd2XDIAQwqsBMAJ6BAgKEA4&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWr3ZKDN-8Go&usg=AOvVaw3UJNxxzKdfcPQVEHM0viFk

This one popped up on Amazon.  Or you can make your own.

Mossey

5E51C37C-B429-4F76-8AC5-587DD635979D.thumb.png.42e7e7710b79d5a2ec7ea9cc7620a3cc.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

UnderlineKeyboard shortcut Ctrl+U

4 hours ago, mossemi said:

Thanks for the informative video . . . . easy fix.

So, here's a question . . . . . I found this plug and it says, "Resolves E2, Open Ground and Open Neutral indications on surge protectors, generators and inverters".  Not related to generator use, but occasionally, when we plug our Van into a receptacle where we store it, the surge protector cuts the power and gives an E2 code.  I first assumed it was because we were connecting to an older outlet that perhaps wasn't properly grounded (I know, probably not a good idea).  However, it has done this, a few times, when connecting to our house.  One time I thought it was because the extension cord was not three prong, but the E2 has come up when using a proper extension cord in a properly grounded outlet.  Usually all it takes is to unplug and plug back in and then it is fine.

Any idea what's going on?

Ray and Susan Huff

More info on neutral ground here.

I understand, now, why the onboard 4000w Onan generator in our van works with the surge protector; it has an auto transfer switch.

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

I understand, now, why the onboard 4000w Onan generator in our van works with the surge protector; it has an auto transfer switch.

The reason your van works is because the neutral and ground are bonded in the generator.  Most portable inverter generators do not have the neutral and ground bonded.  I don’t believe the automatic transfer switch has anything to do with the surge protector error.

I use a test plug to verify correct electrical wiring before plugging my Oliver into any power source I am unfamiliar with and I would suggest everyone do the same.

Mossey

A81B5FC0-D30B-4FB1-9E8B-3186B6997DF0.thumb.jpeg.f31fdc144bf1ebb45764cb196b78cba5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderator+

Error code E2 on the Progressive Industries EMS means "Open Ground"

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Did anyone with a Honda EU2200i get this recall?  Apparently this isn't the first such recall.  Doesn't give me a "warm fuzzy feeling" about purchasing one.

Ray and Susan Huff

9 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Did anyone with a Honda EU2200i get this recall?  Apparently this isn't the first such recall.  Doesn't give me a "warm fuzzy feeling" about purchasing one.

I personally would not choose a Thailand-built Honda generator, motorcycle or other power equipment, but this particular problem should not concern you too much. Unless you also plan to operate your generator on the bow of your sailboat.... Google “Honda EU-2200 Recall Forum” for some discussions.

From a boating forum ( unsubstantiated statement, but not the only place I have heard this) 

Honda has denied warranty coverage to boaters that used their generators daily and wore them out within the warranty period. The warranty is by calendar time, not running hours and they had no right to do what they did. I know of at least two cases like that which were posted on different cruising websites.”

OTH Honda has always been good to me for the (excessive number of) recalls I have dealt with. Buy a Yamaha 😉

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

10 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I personally would not choose a Thailand-built Honda generator, motorcycle or other power equipment, but this particular problem should not concern you too much. Unless you also plan to operate your generator on the bow of your sailboat.... Google “Honda EU-2200 Recall Forum” for some discussions.

From a boating forum ( unsubstantiated statement, but not the only place I have heard this) 

Honda has denied warranty coverage to boaters that used their generators daily and wore them out within the warranty period. The warranty is by calendar time, not running hours and they had no right to do what they did. I know of at least two cases like that which were posted on different cruising websites.”

OTH Honda has always been good to me for the (excessive number of) recalls I have dealt with. Buy a Yamaha 😉

John Davies

Spokane WA

Yamaha model recommendation similar to Honda EU2200i ?

Ray and Susan Huff

https://www.yamahagenerators.com/Yamaha-Inverter-Generators-s/1818.htm

Take your pick. I have the EF2400iSCH and it has been stellar. A little big to lug around but it has tons of reserve capacity and gets great reviews. It normally rides in the back of my Land Cruiser. I lay it on the ground normally but I cracked a rib, so I have been running it pulled out a foot onto the tailgate. The exhaust is down low and on the right.... note the dummy ground plug.

E2A78829-7F37-4048-8C1F-90D4A4CFC9E2.thumb.jpeg.291ff881c0cf7c845f3c07ee72c6c3e8.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

John, is my memory correct? The Yamaha 2400 can't be run in parallel with another one?

Will it run your a/c on its own? 

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

25 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

John, is my memory correct? The Yamaha 2400 can't be run in parallel with another one?

Will it run your a/c on its own? 

Sherry

It will run my small Atwood Air Command AC with NO Soft Start, plus the converter and the fridge electric heating element. I am sure it would run the standard AC unit (by itself) if it had the SS. And you are correct, it cannot be paralleled. It is very quiet at 53 dBa and standing outside I can’t hear it over the quiet Atwood fan noise from 10 feet away. One easy pull starting, every single time, if you run it dry before shutting it down. I did add a $20 digital hour meter/ tachometer to keep track of service. Highly, highly recommended!

I use a super duty 25 foot 12 AWG 15 amp extension cord and it gets very slightly warm to the touch. If I had to run the cord further I would use my 15 to 30 A adapter and the Oliver supplied 30 A black cord as an extension. I have never needed more than the 25 foot yellow cord.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

It will run my small Atwood Air Command AC with NO Soft Start, plus the converter and the fridge electric heating element. I am sure it would run the standard AC unit (by itself) if it had the SS. And you are correct, it cannot be paralleled. It is very quiet at 53 dBa and standing outside I can’t hear it over the quiet Atwood fan noise from 10 feet away. One easy pull starting, every single time, if you run it dry before shutting it down. I did add a $20 digital hour meter/ tachometer to keep track of service. Highly, highly recommended!

I use a super duty 25 foot 12 AWG 15 amp extension cord and it gets very slightly warm to the touch. If I had to run the cord further I would use my 15 to 30 A adapter and the Oliver supplied 30 A black cord as an extension. I have never needed more than the 25 foot yellow cord.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks, John.  

What about the new EU2200iS. It has an RV plug, so no adapter needed and a 12v socket.  It weighs 20# less than the 2400w and the panel has been moved from the side to the end.  

Would this be comparable?  We are ordering our Oliver with the soft-start for the AC.  We are also ordering the Solar pkg with 4 AGM batteries  We mainly need the generator for using higher wattage appliances when camping off grid.

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

Susan, I thought of you yesterday when I ran across this generator on Costco . Com. 

It's an upgraded version of the ai2000 inverter generator my sister bought a few years ago, now has the Yamaha 79cc engine, 2300 watts, 1800 running. 52 db. Quite a few features for $499, free shipping. At 51 pounds, it's not a featherweight, but manageable, especially since it comes with wheels.

Unlike the Yamaha 2400, this can be run in parallel with a twin, which would be useful for home use as emergency backup power. 

What it's missing: no RV plug, but it does have a nema 30 amp, and comes with an rv plug adaptor. Only one carry handle, so harder for two people to share the load if carrying between you. 2300 surge instead of 2400. 

No, it's not a true Yamaha product, but with Costco's return policy, I wouldn't be hesitant.

Costco must have it made in the blue jacket for them, because I  found the same generator in red and grey on several other sites, varying prices. The red jacket is on sale at samsclub for about $50 less, $17 shipping if you're not a plus member. Non member price the same as costco .com.

I read through a bunch of reviews, and a number of people said it would not run their ac. None of them mentioned whether or not they had a soft start installed in their ac units.

Sherry

Screenshot_20200701-142001_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200701-140212_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 3 weeks later...

We have the Honda Handi and really like it- whisper quiet. 
Here is a neat video-

Ours-

4021C87F-243A-4463-9FC9-857F2049FA60.jpeg

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 1 month later...

So, I've been shopping . . . . . . the Costco generator is tempting, but missing some of the features I like on the Yamaha 2200: fuel gauge, lighted control panel, 12v socket, RV outlet (though I see this comes with an adapter, three-way handle for two person carrying; I'm not keen on the Costco version having wheels.

This being said,  as I look online, the Yamaha 2200is is either "out of stock with no ETA" (National Supply) or "discontinued".  Out of stock, I expected, with Covid related conditions, especially the exponential increase in the number of RVs.  I can't imagine they would quit making these.  Maybe the cutbacks in workers to assemble and parts shortages along with increased demand have disrupted the supply chain, like everything else.  Unlike with TP, I doubt people are hoarding a $1K item 😁

So, as we plan to pickup our trailer in Tennessee on December 7, taking our time towing it home, would we be foolish to attempt this without a generator?  (Elite II with lithium solar package); 30# LP option.

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

While you’re in Hohenwald, stop by the Tractor Supply and see if they have any Champion inverter generators.  At our Tractor Supply here in Boerne I got a 2K Watt, 37 lbs, very quiet for $349 on sale.  It has performed flawlessly the last couple of years and is as quiet as the Honda or any of the inverter generators.

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS