Honda Generator- Did I buy the wrong one? EU2200i or EU2200i Companion

dbp05ret

1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

While you’re in Hohenwald, stop by the Tractor Supply and see if they have any Champion inverter generators.  At our Tractor Supply here in Boerne I got a 2K Watt, 37 lbs, very quiet for $349 on sale.  It has performed flawlessly the last couple of years and is as quiet as the Honda or any of the inverter generators.

We have a 3100w Powerhouse Digital Inverter Generator we purchased when we had a 5th-wheel 7 years ago.  When we traded the 5th-wheel for a camper van, it became our emergency home generator (one of 3) and portable power around the ranch.  More watts than we need, for the Oliver, but we could always bring it along.  It isn't portable, by any means, at 129#, but then it's less apt to get stolen.  Pretty quiet at 56-65 dB.  It does, however have a remote start!

http:// https://www.powerhouse-products.com/powerhouse_product/ph3100ri/

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Hello Everyone!

This is my (our) first post.  We just sent our initial $2,500 wait list deposit on Friday, Sept. 4, 2020.  We are both really excited about this!  Somehow we need to settle down, however, as we don't pick up our Legacy II for 43 weeks, 3 days, 2 hours, etc...

Now to get to the real purpose of this post; can anyone please tell me what are the specific dimensions of the optional storage basket?  I have looked everywhere online and have had no success finding those specs.  Perhaps I am mistaken, but it seems to me that a Honda EU3000is might be the perfect generator for the Legacy II.  It is super quiet, runs all night on one tank of gas, has electric start, and I have previous experience with Honda.  They are really hard to beat, other than the $2,199 price.

Yes, there is plenty of time; however, our local dealer has one in stock right now!  I simply don't want to buy one if it won't fit the basket!

Having said all this, our delivery date in Hohenwald isn't until May 17, 2021!  

Thank you all so much!

2021 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds   "R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 

2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed Allison

ALARILINIAKYMNMSMOMTOHSDTNWIWYsm.jpg

45 minutes ago, IL_Travelers said:

it seems to me that a Honda EU3000is might be the perfect generator for the Legacy II.  It is super quiet, runs all night on one tank of gas, has electric start, and I have previous experience with Honda.  They are really hard to beat, other than the $2,199 price.

It is actually too heavy (131 lbs dry) for the Ollie tray which has a recommended max cargo weight of 140 pounds. Add an extra 35 pounds for gas and oil, plus maybe a hard cover or locking tray and a heavy power cable, and a lock...... Oops. Way over the limit. In addition, you need to consider the effect of that extra tongue weight. If you have a HD truck, no worries. If you have a light duty one, that will possibly overload the rear suspension and definitely limit available cargo payload in the truck. With any light duty TV, keeping the ball weight as low as possible is beneficial for many reasons. The LE2 is small, but it is a chunky trailer, way heavier than it looks. It’s a mini tank when specced with four batteries and lots of options.

Welcome to the forum. Please tell us what truck you plan to use.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:22 PM, IL_Travelers said:

Hello Everyone!

This is my (our) first post.  We just sent our initial $2,500 wait list deposit on Friday, Sept. 4, 2020.  We are both really excited about this!  Somehow we need to settle down, however, as we don't pick up our Legacy II for 43 weeks, 3 days, 2 hours, etc...

Now to get to the real purpose of this post; can anyone please tell me what are the specific dimensions of the optional storage basket?  I have looked everywhere online and have had no success finding those specs.  Perhaps I am mistaken, but it seems to me that a Honda EU3000is might be the perfect generator for the Legacy II.  It is super quiet, runs all night on one tank of gas, has electric start, and I have previous experience with Honda.  They are really hard to beat, other than the $2,199 price.

Yes, there is plenty of time; however, our local dealer has one in stock right now!  I simply don't want to buy one if it won't fit the basket!

Thank you all so much!

We have been looking for a Yamaha 2200 and can find none.  We can blame Covid (why not?) - so many more people with RVs, generator manufacturing assembly lines are probably not fully staffed, and parts might be in short supply.  We may have to resort to taking our 3100 non-portable (129#) inverter generator that we use for at home outages with us on the trip to Hohenwald to pick up our Oliver on December 7 - That's 15 weeks, 5 days and 12 hours!

This is what it says about the storage basket on the Oliver Website: Owners --> University --> Measurement Index:

Storage Basket - 26-3/4” x 19-1/8”, 7-1/2” Deep.  Does that help?

Update: It's ironic that I posted this the day devastating wildfires broke out in Oregon.  Yet another element in the generator shortage.

I recently (Oct 20) emailed Yamaha Generators asking about the unavailability of the 2200i and they confirmed that, in addition to Covid supply chain issues, the wildfires and hurricanes added to the shortage of portable generators.  When asked when they might be available, the answer is "soon" - they expect sometime in December.  I asked if it is possible to preorder - "no, but you can go to our site and request to be notified when they are back in stock."

https://www.yamahagenerators.com/Email_Me_When_Back_In_Stock.asp?ProductCode=EF2200IS

I did the same for Lowe's, who also sells the Yamaha 2200i.

Update: Yamaha is now telling me it will be Spring before they have the 2200i available.

Edited by Ray and Susan Huff
Update

Ray and Susan Huff

6 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

It is actually too heavy (131 lbs dry) for the Ollie tray which has a recommended max cargo weight of 140 pounds. Add an extra 30+ pounds for gas and oil, plus maybe a hard cover or locking tray and a heavy power cable, and a lock...... Oops. Way over the limit. In addition, you need to consider the effect of that extra tongue weight. If you have a HD truck, no worries. If you have a light duty one, that will most likely overload the rear suspension and limit available cargo payload in the truck.

Welcome to the forum. Please tell us what truck you plan to use.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Honda or Yamaha 2200 is much lighter and will power most anything in the Elite II - just not all at the same time.

Ray and Susan Huff

32 minutes ago, IL_Travelers said:

what are the specific dimensions of the optional storage basket?

I think the dimensions in the Measurement Index are for the earlier version basket. Look in the University for the  2018 LEII Owners Manual. Page 122 is a dimension drawing of the newer style.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!  You all are so prompt!  
Good to know about the excess weight. We have a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD Crew Cab Short Bed, 5.3L, 6 spd, 3.92, 7,200 GVW. We bought it new; now has 65,000 miles. We will start out with this vehicle, see how it goes, and change to more power if required. 
Will the Honda 2200 run the AC? 
Really appreciate your help!  Just getting the feel for this site...

2021 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds   "R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 

2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed Allison

ALARILINIAKYMNMSMOMTOHSDTNWIWYsm.jpg

IL_Travelers.... your  GMC will most likely be fine but you need to check your available payload. Subtract the canopy and aftermarket accessory weights and all your people and their stuff. The Andersen weighs around 65 pounds. Figure “about” 650 pounds tongue weight for an LE2. This is quite variable due to options like the bike rack, or folks carrying a heavy generator. Mine was 720, Is now 480 since I relocated the tray to the back,, and it tows better with the much lighter tongue with no signs of instability.

While your lack of power may be noticeable when you get into the mountains, the lack of payload might be an immediate hassle, depending on what you have already added to your truck, if you might have to tow with a full black tank (located near the front), and if you plan to bring along lots of tools, bikes, cast iron cook sets or cases of ammo. 🙂 The fresh and grey tanks are centrally located and don’t have a major effect on TW.

If you don’t already have a tongue weight scale, consider getting one like the excellent Sherline 1000 pound unit... You can ask Oliver to weigh your trailer tongue “as delivered” but that won’t be real useful for when it is actually loaded for a big trip. If you are patient you might be able to buy one for about $125.

Sherline 1000 price history

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 9/8/2020 at 11:22 PM, IL_Travelers said:

Hello Everyone!

Thank you all so much!

Here you go!

I have found the generator or cargo box extremely useful. I am very happy we added it as an option. 

8B23C881-4B2B-4D6A-A6DA-24978FF6497A.png

• Thanks 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

All this talk about generators and nobody is discussing the power needs of the their trailer and the appropriate wattage rating of the generator to match those requirements.  Maybe this is discussed in a different topic, but it seems appropriate here, too, as we're talking about powering A/C and what generator to buy.

Does anybody know the wattage requirements of the Elite I and II, assuming use of all lights, furnace, water heater, refrigerator, microwave, etc.? Worst-case scenario in the dead of winter or a blazing hot day with A/C on.

Once you have those numbers, you can find a generator that provides the sustained power to meet your consumption. The weight of the generator can be a factor,and I personally wouldn't want to buy one that is much bigger than I need.

Really enjoying learning from all of you experienced campers!

Edited by DeeKay
missing word needed for clarity

• Moderator+
8 hours ago, DeeKay said:

All this talk about generators and nobody is discussing the power needs of the their trailer and the appropriate wattage rating of the generator to match those requirements.  Maybe this is discussed in a different topic, but it seems appropriate here, too, as we're talking about powering A/C and what generator to buy.

Does anybody know the wattage requirements of the Elite I and II, assuming use of all lights, furnace, water heater, refrigerator, microwave, etc.? Worst-case scenario in the dead of winter or a blazing hot day with A/C on.

Once you have those numbers, you can find a generator that provides the sustained power to meet your consumption. The weight of the generator can be a factor,and I personally wouldn't want to buy one that is much bigger than I need.

Really enjoying learning from all of you experienced campers!

You probably couldn't afford or move a generator large enough to power "everything." Our 3000 watt Yamaha will easily run our 13500btu air conditioner with no easy start. Turn on the electric water heater element also and it will shut down. Realistically, you only need one large enough to run the A/C and the charger/converter at the same time. Everything else will be running on propane or 12 volts.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Well, I broke down and bought the new Honda 2200 and the companion this past week.  I had purchased the A1 from Sam's and was hoping that would work but every time I tried running the air with the soft start the relay in the Oliver would trip.  The code was showing the voltage was dropping to 104.  Thought seriously about the 3000 Handi and several other models but just kept coming back to the Honda 2200 because of quality and weight.  In summer if I needed both I can run both and other times of the year I can take 1 and keep the weight down.  My days of wanting to lift the 75# Handi are gone.

This new Honda has the Bluetooth feature that is pretty cool.  You can see output and a few other informational readouts using your cellphone ap.  It does allow you to turn off the generator remotely if need arises.  They did implement some weather protection on the upgrade and supposedly 10% more output.  I struggled a little paying the premium but to tell you the truth Honda engines never have let me down.  

Erv & Sherry  Hull # 650

2022  Platinum SD 250 Tremor. 7.3 Godzilla

ALARFLGAILKYMSMONENCSCSDTNWVmed.jpg

On 9/17/2020 at 9:23 PM, ScubaRx said:

You probably couldn't afford or move a generator large enough to power "everything." Our 3000 watt Yamaha will easily run our 13500btu air conditioner with no easy start. Turn on the electric water heater element also and it will shut down. Realistically, you only need one large enough to run the A/C and the charger/converter at the same time. Everything else will be running on propane or 12 volts.

I think this answers a question that's been nagging me:  When running the generator, (not hooked up to shore power) if load exceeds the output of the generator, the additional draw will come from the batteries?  The additional load will not trip the generator?  How does the electrical system assign where each electrical flow is channeled - generator, batteries. 

Another question: Is all electrical input from the solar panels routed through the batteries and nothing draws directly from solar?  Our previous solar controller was a "Go Power".  The controller display had a USB plug.  Sometimes we used this to power or charge USB devices.  I'm assuming, in this case the power is coming directly from the panel and does not come from the house battery, so the charge going from the solar panel to the battery is reduced by the amount of power used for the USB device?  Does the Zamp controller also have this feature.

I think I need a flow chart!!!

Ray and Susan Huff

The short answer to your first question is no, your inverter will not supplement shore power with battery power. 

As to your second question, the answer is that there’s no distinction between power coming from your solar panels and power coming from your batteries. It’s all part of the same pool of electrons. Think of the 12 volt system like water, with the batteries being a big bucket, and solar and charger power being faucets that you can turn on to fill it. If you want a glass of water you could dip it into the bucket or you could hold it under one of the faucets or do both - it’s all water.  

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

• Moderators

That's a great analogy, Overland 👍 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Susan, the longer answer to your first question is that some hybrid inverter chargers will let you do exactly what you’re asking. The Victron MultiPlus is the most well known example of that. It can do it on the fly as needed or you can tell it to only draw so many amps from shore power and to get the rest from your batteries, which is really useful if you only have a 20 amp connection at home. 

I had thought that the Xantrex unit that Oliver is installing as part of their LFP kit does the same; but looking at the specs, I don’t think it does. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t see it. 

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

I'm assuming, in this case the power is coming directly from the panel and does not come from the house battery, so the charge going from the solar panel to the battery is reduced by the amount of power used for the USB device?  Does the Zamp controller also have this feature.

No, the Zamp controller does not have an independent Load output feature, which yes does reduce the battery charging output. However, controllers with this feature typically switch and/or regulate the Load output to prioritize battery charging so the independent load cannot overwhelm the controller's ability to first maintain the batteries.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 6:27 PM, Susan Huff said:

Did anyone with a Honda EU2200i get this recall?  Apparently this isn't the first such recall.  Doesn't give me a "warm fuzzy feeling" about purchasing one.

I have the EU2000i companion and EU2000i. Recall was/is, on the EU2000i companion, a simple job of installing spacers for better cooling, according to the service manager. After taking off the covers and checking that is the situation. The Honda line of generators(EU6500 & EU2000i & companion), mowers, roto tillers, weed wackers, water pumps etc., I have them all, use a better quality of components. Gas lines are immediately noticed when comparing to the "Other Brands". Ensure the use of Premium Gasoline in these appliances. I use the generators to operate a two burner hot plate under the rear hatch of the 4Runner, provide supply voltage to a battery charger charging a deep cycle battery for the Engel fridge freezer.. Extensive use of puck board to provide a clean isolated surface areas from vegetation etc. while in the wild.  Many uses for a single sheet of puck board.

You can depend on a Honda when used and maintained within recommended specifications. Chainsaw though is a Stihl.

Edited by FJV

Premium or mid grade gas is in no way needed for low compression power equipment engines. Fresh fuel is mandatory, so a fuel stabilizer is needed. Modern gasoline starts to go stale in about a month. With a stabilizer it can last a year. I only use ethanol free fuel for my mower, trimmer, generator etc to reduce the harmful effects of alcohol on the rubber fuel parts. The Maverik stations which are now all over the West have it, and there are apps to locate it at other brand stations.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

• Moderators

I suspect that FJV meant to say - gasoline without alcohol - and not specifically "premium gas".  Alcohol has bad effects on many gas lines and carburetor parts.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 9/27/2020 at 1:38 PM, topgun2 said:

I suspect that FJV meant to say - gasoline without alcohol - and not specifically "premium gas".  Alcohol has bad effects on many gas lines and carburetor parts.

Bill

Yes . . . . in our world (Oregon) it is called "Clear" fuel - meaning no ethanol (alcohol).  We get ours at Pacific Pride, with a commercial fueling card, and use it in all our small engine equipment (weed eater, mower, chain saw, generator, etc.).  Also in our tractor and motorcycle.

Our passenger vehicles are both diesel and we do not use B-diesel, although the F350 is supposedly rated to run on it.

Ray and Susan Huff