Heat strip and furnace working at the same time

Corcomi

This morning I went to check up on Ollie and found that it didn’t have electricity. After checking everything I found that the electric gfi under the dinette had tripped.

So all is well on that end. But when I went to put on the furnace heat to warm the trailer both the furnace and electric strip turned on. I have the controller on furnace heat. Tried turning on and off but still get both to turn on. Any suggestions ?

Sounds like a thermostat problem, that is the only common point in the wiring of the two systems as far as I know. Can you just pull the circuit breaker for the AC for now?

If that doesn't do it, take the 'stat off the wall and disconnect the low voltage wires for the heat strip. Tape them so they can't short out. Refer to your manual for the diagram. I don't have this setup.... "Mouse" has a 1950s style mercury thermostat for the furnace and no heat strip. Crude, but 100% reliable.

Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+

Your system is preforming normally, no need to unhook anything.  Change your fan off "auto" and it will work as expected.

• Thanks 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

This should be normal.  It has also been discussed before (do a search for Furnace/Heat Strip).

You didn't mention which a/c unit or thermostat that you have, but I think that they all work alike.  If "my" thermostat is set to "electric heat" and there is more than a 5 or 6 degree difference in the set temp and the room temp, then the gas and the electric heat will run.  After the room temp nears the set temp setting it will shut the gas furnace off and continue on electric heat until the set temp is reached.  This is because the electric heat is more of a maintainer.  The electric heat would take considerable time to heat the RV on its own.

Hope that this helps.

Shirley

• Thanks 3

Shirley Arrighi