Best Generator for ‘18 Elite?

DonnaDuane

• Moderator+

We bought a Yamaha EF3000iSEB soon after we bought our 2008 Elite. It has served us well for these past 10+ years and now rides on the front of our 2014 Elite II.

It will be claimed that it is too much generator and a smaller/less expensive one will do.

If I were to do it all again, I’d do it the same. I’m all about overkill. That way nothing is ever marginal.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

We have the new Honda EU 2200I and find it will run everything we need including the A/C. You do have to make sure you don't run multiple high amp draw appliances at the same time. I love the light weight compared to our old Honda EM 2500 that was too heavy to lift any more at my age. I was able to get it on sale for $899 with free shipping and no tax.

It's also very easy to convert to duel fuel so it will run on propane or gas.

• Thanks 2

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

Its electric so electric and water dont mix. I have placed it under the trailer when its raining.

3 to 4 hours should bring a low battery up to 90%.

You can buy a 110 to 30 amp plug at Wal-Mart for $8.

You will also need a netural bonding plug something like this or the Progressive EMS will not allow power from the generator without being bypassed and you should not bypass it.

https://www.microair.net/products/generator-bonding-plug?variant=12272654155860

http://noshockzone.org/generator-ground-neutral-bonding/

• Thanks 2

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

• Moderators

If you're reading 11.9, you  need to set up your generator and recharge. I try to keep our batteries no lower than 12.4.

It will probably only take an hour to get you to 12.4, maybe two to get you to 12.6. If you only have the seelevel panel to guage by, understand that you're showing a little lower than you really are while the battery is under load, and will show 13.2 or 13.4 while you are plugged in, because it's reading the charging voltage coming in, not your actual state of charge. You won't see your actual state of charge for 30 to 50 minutes after you shut down the generator....

Charging to a full 12.7 or 12.9 will probably take 6 or 7 hours,  and it's not necessary .  As you approach a full charge, your charger ramps down the amount of charge going to your battery, for safety. At first, you get the high charge ( bulk charging) state, and goes very fast. As you approach a full state, the absorption  charge is much slower and smaller. From 12.7 to 12.9 can take hours. Then, float kicks in, just to maintain full...

Btw, which batteries do you have? Agm, or flooded? 6 v or 12v? There's a slight difference in what to expect for readings. The seelevel isn't all that accurate, anyway, as its sensitive to load/ no load, resting/ not resting, but it does help you to keep your battery in a healthy state... no letting it drop too low and kill the battery.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+
Generator isn’t sending power to Ollie. Progressive Dynamic has error and other codes flashing.

Anyone know what I should do?

If you don’t have the neutral grounding plug yet, don’t panic. Just turn the electrical management system off at the display. This is safe under these circumstances since your generator is your source. We are assuming that generator is putting out electricity in the correct manner.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

You may have 2 15 amp outlets on the genset depending on the which model you bought.  If I remember correctly from your previous posts, you did not get the companion.  The bonding plug goes in 1 of the 15 amp outlets and the 15 to 30 amp cord/adapter goes in the other.

Mike

image.thumb.jpg.573768ea20b4509b5a4a1231c482fc0c.jpg

• Thanks 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

We havs run a honda 1000 as backup to solar for ten years without incident. We don't have your progressive dynamic system  .

Btw, All the plug you're looking for does is trick your progressive dynamic system into thinking you have a ground. I suspect your code, if you look it up, is open ground, which is normal for a generator power source...

I wouldn't bypass the system for a code from a campground pieer supply, but im sure Steve has given sound advice.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Duane -

Take a look at the tread - "Microwave Popped a Circuit …" for an explanation of what this plug does.  That should help you decide as to using it or not using it with your generator.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

? Batteries now fully charged. ☹️ But, now the furnace won’t come. I posted this under furnace but wasn’t sure if you all would notice it there. Anyway, fan cycles on for a minute when I turn thermostat off then back on. Plenty of propane - stove, hot water and frig working perfectly.

What do I do next?

2018 Elite

TV - Audi Q5 3.0 TDI