Convection Oven?

CedarForks

The 2019 LE II now has a microwave/convection oven option.

We ordered that feature and were told that it would be a Contoure brand. We pick up on January 9...

The Contoure Model number is assumed to be RV-187S-CON and the Amazon specs (here) claims a capacity of 1.2 cu.ft. -- but is listed as Currently unavailable.

But Oliver University only has documentation for a FranklinChef model number FR-187S-CON (some data here) with a capacity of 1.0 cu.ft. -- but that site lists it as Discontinued.

Quality ratings are not encouraging for either model.

What gives? Support?

(We like baking bread.)

• Administrators

Actually we had the wrong manual online that we got from another provider. The model is the Contoure Convection Microwave 190S-CON.

We have updated Oliver University with the correct manual. I'm not sure why, but the box says it is a 1.2 cubic ft microwave but owner's manual says 1.1 cubic ft.

Go here: http://olivertraveltrailers.com/oliver-university/

Search "Convection Microwave"

• Thanks 1

Matt Duncan

Marketing Consultant, Oliver Travel Trailers

Cool. Anyone know what the retrofit cost is?...

Actually Oliver had mentioned that it could NOT be retrofitted into earlier units. That being said I am sure some enterprising individual could make it work, and look good doing it (the unit, not the individual). Guessing it needs a deeper hole? Does it draw more power? Needing heavier wiring or fusing?

So I took a look at the specs and the obvious issue is that the oven is 18.5" deep, which means it would stick a few inches either into the cabin or outside the trailer, your choice.

Looking at Oliver's photo, either the frame is designed to accommodate the extra depth, or they've added some sort of spacer between the frame and shell.  Most likely a spacer, but something weird is going on with the angle of the frame vs the oven...

convection-microwave-lores.thumb.jpg.001f118c1c9ceb1c12b7de51098c466a.jpg

Apart from that, I can't see a problem retrofitting it.  It would be about a half inch larger in both directions than my existing cabinet, so that would have to be taken out and then you'd have to rig up a new base for the oven to sit on.  A big job, but in all likelihood doable.

• Moderators

We looked at a number of models, for our failed 2008 convection. Weighing replacing the failed microwave , which we only used a few times, we decided on a useful  cabinet.

Everything we looked at, in convection, required more depth than we had available.  But, our trailer is now 11 years old.. ...

Since we used the microwave maybe twice, or three times, in ten years, mostly for tests, I'm not the best resource.

Really happy with a big cabinet in place of the useless microwave.... as we almost never camp with electrical hookups...

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 5 months later...

Any reports from the field on the convection option?  How well does it work?  We use our Panasonic Microwave/Convection/Steam device for just about everything and our oven sits dormant in our house.

Between Olivers…